Marzocchi forks

Anyone have any input on the 48mm zokes? I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in a set or not. The Sachs seem just too soft for me. Im a faster b rider I ride cross country so a little of everything as far as rocks logs etc. I'd like to hear some input from someone who's rode with both the Sachs and zokes thanks guys.

Anyone have any input on the 48mm zokes? I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in a set or not. The Sachs seem just too soft for me. Im a faster b rider I ride cross country so a little of everything as far as rocks logs etc. I'd like to hear some input from someone who's rode with both the Sachs and zokes thanks guys.

The 'invest in a set' comes at a pretty decent price tag - on the order of $2000 at least. You can do a lot of springing and valving to the Sachs for that money, improving a pretty decent open chamber fork. The Marzocchis can be set up to work in a broader range of conditions and terrain, but they do need to be set up as well. I've raced and tuned both ... they are different animals is all.

Or buy some Ohlins forks!

And open up the wallet even more. 

Yes Tye.  :rolleyes:

Yes I believe they are around $2300 for the zokes, basically if I do get a set I'll be keeping the bike probably for another couple years instead of a year. Who if anyone would be a reputable source for a revalve? Springs are fine for my weight with the Sachs and I've been looking around I know it would be a much cheaper route to take sending them off. I'm no suspension guru by any means but everything that I've tried on the forks has yet to work well enough for my liking

Yes I believe they are around $2300 for the zokes, basically if I do get a set I'll be keeping the bike probably for another couple years instead of a year. Who if anyone would be a reputable source for a revalve? Springs are fine for my weight with the Sachs and I've been looking around I know it would be a much cheaper route to take sending them off. I'm no suspension guru by any means but everything that I've tried on the forks has yet to work well enough for my liking

2 shops that tune the Sachs real well are Stillwell Performance in Arizona http://www.stillwellperformance.com/main/suspension/  and Dicks Racing in Sacramento, California http://www.dicksracing.com/motorcycle_suspension  they both can make those forks pretty plush just don't expect miracles or for them to feel as good as a closed chamber fork.

I personally would not keep the 48mm Sachs on the RR or the 45mm Zokes that come on the RS.  They can be made plush but if you race they just are not a high quality set up.  I have 3 sets of forks for my RR now and the winner so far has been the retrofitted KYB 48MM off the KX450F.  The jury is still out on the 50mm Zokes I just bolted up and the stock 45mm Zokes have collected 5 years of dust in my garage.   

Edited by KX290F Pilot

I glanced at stillwells site I might have to give them a call later this week then we shall see

If I were you I would get the spring rate set right for front and rear, set the sag at 105mm, and go from there. Too many guys want to get a revalve or upgrade to fancy stuff without ever playing with the clickers, or getting the spring rate set for their weight. 

If you're a fast "B" rider, I would start playing with clickers, and spring rates first. Go to your favorite riding spot and test one circuit at a time. 

Check Point Offroad in Minnesota as a really good setup for the Sachs forks.

If I were you I would get the spring rate set right for front and rear, set the sag at 105mm, and go from there. Too many guys want to get a revalve or upgrade to fancy stuff without ever playing with the clickers, or getting the spring rate set for their weight.

If you're a fast "B" rider, I would start playing with clickers, and spring rates first. Go to your favorite riding spot and test one circuit at a time.

Yeah that's the problem though, I have set my sag and played with the clickers a plenty but still haven't got it set up to have it work well enough for me. My wp's on my xc have worked fairly well enough for me not to gripe still need to work on the shock a bit but the forks suit me better on that bike. Maybe you are right though I could possibly give it another go I'm just to impatient ha I would rather just ride

I have them on my '13 300 RR Race and like them, also had them on a '12 GG.  For $2300 though?  No way.  Best bang for the buck in a CC fork upgrade is a set of KYBs.  You will need a top clamp but still come out way cheaper in the end.

Very true but the plan is to keep them for awhile when I get rid of the bike I'll throw them onto the next one barring they will still fit. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions and trying to get my Sachs set up better is the best option

Yeah that's the problem though, I have set my sag and played with the clickers a plenty but still haven't got it set up to have it work well enough for me. My wp's on my xc have worked fairly well enough for me not to gripe still need to work on the shock a bit but the forks suit me better on that bike. Maybe you are right though I could possibly give it another go I'm just to impatient ha I would rather just ride

And by no means am I busting your balls about this. If you can afford it, it's a lot easier to have a pro tuner to do the suspension for your kind of riding. There is something to be said to be able to just bolt on the suspension and not have to adjust anything. Pretty cool, in fact. A good tuner can do that for you....

And by no means am I busting your balls about this. If you can afford it, it's a lot easier to have a pro tuner to do the suspension for your kind of riding. There is something to be said to be able to just bolt on the suspension and not have to adjust anything. Pretty cool, in fact. A good tuner can do that for you....

oh I understand. I'm just trying to get some opinions of what other people would do. I'm no millionaire by any means and am pretty frugal last thing I want to do is drop that kind of money and still not be happy

motoxgiant has put the KYB's on a Beta, visit with him about it. With KYB's you can usually find a local tuner to work them for you. I have not had good luck with suspension tuners in the past and due to the expense of shipping back and forth so I went with Dave Johnson at SPI and did my own work on my 09 YZ. Besides learning more about my forks and shock he provided the build sheets, I purchased his oil and hard parts and ended up with much better than what others had done for me on previous bikes.

I also admit to being impatient and do not play with my set-up enough when on a ride - I hate to hold everyone up just for me to make adjustments.

IMO a good owned showa or kyb would do a better job for a fraction of the price...in part because there is a lot of knowledge about these forks and many tuners can revalve it for the trails.

Yeah I can check into this options as well thanks for the ideas

Had Stillwell Performance do our forks and they work REALLY well.  No need to get another set of forks.

Had Stillwell Performance do our forks and they work REALLY well. No need to get another set of forks.

cool I will give them a call see if maybe the can help more I guess that should be my first guess anyways considering american beta offers the stillwell "upgrade" now on the byob