Hi,

any help would be greatlyappreciated - thesecams came outofmy bike 2006 drz400s

the cams are stamped A and B

they sort of look like hot cams and not the stock cams

am i crazy or do i see a yosh logo?

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

That's their logo alright, and I'm not an expert or anything, but my old "S" cams didn't look like that, nor did the "E" cams I put back in. Why are you taking them out? If they are Yosh, they are pretty spendy items. Hopefully someone will recognize them and chime in............. :rolleyes:

That's their logo alright, and I'm not an expert or anything, but my old "S" cams didn't look like that, nor did the "E" cams I put back in. Why are you taking them out? If they are Yosh, they are pretty spendy items. Hopefully someone will recognize them and chime in............. :rolleyes:

doing a refresh of the top end and saw these babies laying in there

oddly enough i bought a set of E model cams to put in the bike......so i'll probably sell these

doing a refresh of the top end and saw these babies laying in there

oddly enough i bought a set of E model cams to put in the bike......so i'll probably sell these

I wouldn't! I'd keep these and sell the E cams. (PM me if you keep the E cams)

I wouldn't! I'd keep these and sell the E cams. (PM me if you keep the E cams)

is there that much of a dfference?  what are these worth assuming they are yosh?

is there that much of a dfference?  what are these worth assuming they are yosh?

$500 +/-

$500 +/-

holy sh*t   i'd sell these and keep the E cams.  this is a friggin commuter bike

Consider this:

Yosh-SM.jpg

(Source: http://www.drzforums.com/showthread.php?995-Yoshimura-vs-Suzuki-D-E-cams)

Red being stock cams (probably S, not sure though), blue being Yoshimura cams...

This dyno chart basically means that up to ~6000 RPM, the stock cams produce more (!) HP than the Yosh cams. Above that (meaning if you rev the bike even more), the Yosh cams get you more power.

As for the torque, the stock cams are stronger up to ~6000 RPM, with the Yosh cams producing relatively more torque thereafter. The torque peak is the  same however, so all the Yosh cams do in this regard is shift the torque curve up the RPM range.

Bearing this in mind, you'd only profit from Yosh cams if you like revving your bike over 6000. If you don't, you'd actually be worse off (!!) with the Yosh cams than with the stock ones...

Edited by Paul_

Consider this:

Yosh-SM.jpg

(Source: http://www.drzforums.com/showthread.php?995-Yoshimura-vs-Suzuki-D-E-cams)

Red being stock cams (probably S, not sure though), blue being Yoshimura cams...

This dyno chart basically means that up to ~6000 RPM, the stock cams produce more (!) HP than the Yosh cams. Above that (meaning if you rev the bike even more), the Yosh cams get you more power.

As for the torque, the stock cams are stronger up to ~6000 RPM, with the Yosh cams producing relatively more torque thereafter. The torque peak is the  same however, so all the Yosh cams do in this regard is shift the torque curve up the RPM range.

Bearing this in mind, you'd only profit from Yosh cams if you like revving your bike over 6000. If you don't, you'd actually be worse off (!!) with the Yosh cams than with the stock ones...

Wow, I'm shocked and surprised. Thanks for the really cool info and graph.

holy sh*t   i'd sell these and keep the E cams.  this is a friggin commuter bike

Yeh, looking at the dyno chart, I would have to agree now........... :(

but the question remains.....are they really yosh cams?

:excuseme:

Wow, I'm shocked and surprised. Thanks for the really cool info and graph.

:) You're welcome, just found that on the internet trying to figure what purpose these Yosh cams were made for. Apparently, it's got to be (supermoto?) racing...

A lot of performance parts do this, as in add HP here and remove HP there... "here" being somewhere high up the RPM range, while "there" being down low. So if you're looking to beef up your DRZ and you're into off-road riding (with low-RPM "tractoring" now and then), a lot parts would actually be detrimental rather than beneficial to this purpose.

Sure are, look at the logo stamped in them! I don't think any company other than Yoshimura would be doing that.

Edited by Paul_

:) You're welcome, just found that on the internet trying to figure what purpose these Yosh cams were made for. Apparently, it's got to be (supermoto?) racing...

A lot of performance parts do this, as in add HP here and remove HP there... "here" being somewhere high up the RPM range, while "there" being down low. So if you're looking to beef up your DRZ and you're into off-road riding (with low-RPM "tractoring" now and then), a lot parts would actually be detrimental rather than beneficial to this purpose.

Sure are, look at the logo stamped in them! I don't think any company other than Yoshimura would be doing that.

thanks - looks like these are going up on ebay.....i barely rev my bike

Looks like the same cams ... To me

They are Yosh ST-R cams.

Yosh made 2 cams for the dr-z.

ST and ST-R. (R for racing)

Only difference being: ST-R has adjustible sprockets.

They were way more expensive the the ST's though.

Made them for their +2mm bore +4mm stroke 450cc supermoto.

In my opinion the E's are better for 400 and 440 (+4mm bigbore) motors.

I'd sell them.

By the way: yoshimura used to sell other parts in combination with those cams.

Better springs, valves and locks  and another CDI. (revs up to 11k rpm)

Check it out. Maybe your barn find is even better!

You will not feel any difference on these compared to E or hotcams.

The fully built yoshi 450 had about 52 hp (Mikuni tm40mm-flatside carb, 2mm bore 4mm stroke and st® cams and rs2 exhausts.

You would probably get another or two hp with a better exhausts (yosh trc or Mrd SSW).

Yoshimura was deeply involved in the developement of the DR-Z engine in the beginning with Suzuki. A bunch of Yoshi cam sets were used in production bikes. And some of their prototypes were used as well. Would be best to have them measured to see if they are stock S/SM lift/ duration type or the better ones mentioned above. We know the older model E cams have better lift/duration ratios than stock. Also the aftermarket Yoshi cams are billet cams not cast. Much better machine work went into them. Good luck with finding out what they truly are.  Also I notice they are not the adjustable/slotted gears on the side so how can they be the ST-Rs? Another question I would have is this bike a used one you are working on that a PO may have changed somethings out on or is it stock?

Yoshimura was deeply involved in the developement of the DR-Z engine in the beginning with Suzuki. A bunch of Yoshi cam sets were used in production bikes. And some of their prototypes were used as well. Would be best to have them measured to see if they are stock S/SM lift/ duration type or the better ones mentioned above. We know the older model E cams have better lift/duration ratios than stock. Also the aftermarket Yoshi cams are billet cams not cast. Much better machine work went into them. Good luck with finding out what they truly are.  Also I notice they are not the adjustable/slotted gears on the side so how can they be the ST-Rs? Another question I would have is this bike a used one you are working on that a PO may have changed somethings out on or is it stock?

used bike, fcr carb yosh rs3 full exhaust