Dad won't let me get a bike!

So ever since this summer I have this feeling in my stomach that I want some thing to entertain me as my days pass. I settled on motocross but my dad shot that down real quick so I waited. Then in fall I brought it up again and another no. I decided to do mountain biking which I love but it still have this feeling that I want to race bikes. Please give ideas to either convince my parents or give me another hobbie

It's like in the Christmas story movie where il shoot my eye out except they think il kill myself on it.

How old are you. If your under 18 you really have two options. 1. Listen to your dad. 2. Move out and start making the rules

Just show them you really want one... Bring it up frequently and show them you're ready.. That's what I did for about 3 months but hey it was worth it

Are you asking them if you can race or just get a bike?

How old are you. If your under 18 you really have two options. 1. Listen to your dad. 2. Move out and start making the rules

3. Get a job and work your ass off to buy your own bike. 

3. Get a job and work your ass off to buy your own bike.

Yeah but he could be possibly going against his dads wishes against having a bike. Maybe his dad is anti-bike

Just nag the crap out of them. After a few months hopefully they will fold.

Yeah but he could be possibly going against his dads wishes against having a bike. Maybe his dad is anti-bike

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is for permission. It sounds to me like OP is trying to get daddy to outright buy him a bike and gear, and we all know that's a pretty big purchase to make. If he works and buys his own bike, his dad has no real control over what he buys unless there's a reasonable logistical issue such as not having anywhere to put the thing. Assuming there's no reasonable argument against this, and I trust that OP has the maturity/understanding to be able to figure this one out on his own, he can spend his own money how he wants.

I'm going to also assume that his dad doesn't ride and potentially doesn't have any means to transport his bike around, and I'm getting the impression that OP would need his dad's vehicle(s) to transport his bike. If true, this is definitely an issue and I'd advise against buying a bike. 

I was in the same situation at one point, I worked my ass off, saved all my money and somehow got my brother into the yearning for a bike, and eventually the both of us convinced or parents to let us buy ourselves bikes. My father than bought a bike and a very nice enclosed trailer to store them. I suggest getting your siblings if you have any into it and then try to nag your parents

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is for permission. It sounds to me like OP is trying to get daddy to outright buy him a bike and gear, and we all know that's a pretty big purchase to make. If he works and buys his own bike, his dad has no real control over what he buys unless there's a reasonable logistical issue such as not having anywhere to put the thing. Assuming there's no reasonable argument against this, and I trust that OP has the maturity/understanding to be able to figure this one out on his own, he can spend his own money how he wants.

I'm going to also assume that his dad doesn't ride and potentially doesn't have any means to transport his bike around, and I'm getting the impression that OP would need his dad's vehicle(s) to transport his bike. If true, this is definitely an issue and I'd advise against buying a bike. 

His dad very much does have a say in what he buys. Even if the OP funds everything and has his own transportation and a means of storage, if he lives in his father's house and his dad says no there isn't jack he can do except move out.

When I was in high school I wanted an XL 250 so bad I could taste it.  I cleaned up their dark dingy garage in anticipation of my new toy/transportation.  But the answer was NO.  They let me get a moped. 

Tell your folks you want to take up hang gliding or sky diving.  Then go back to getting a bike, it will seem a lot safer to them. 

Make sure you let them know the difference between racing and riding a motorcycle on the street. Some Won't distinguish the two and think of riding any motorcycle as a super dangerous thing that will get you killed no matter what.

Well I'm 14 and I worked all summer. No I'm not trying to get him to buy it for me but il keep trying thanks for the help guys

My parents did not want me to have a bike. I got a job, told them I was going to earn the money and buy it on my own. I did. Doing it on my own showed them I was taking responsibility. Yopu should also talk to them about how serious riding is and that you know riding carefully, with all the safety gear is critical. Let them know you do not intend to be the typical yahoo on a bike riding flat out, over your ability and crashing big time because 'it is kewel'. Let them know you want to instead be a skilled rider.

So ever since this summer I have this feeling in my stomach that I want some thing to entertain me as my days pass. I settled on motocross but my dad shot that down real quick so I waited. Then in fall I brought it up again and another no. I decided to do mountain biking which I love but it still have this feeling that I want to race bikes. Please give ideas to either convince my parents or give me another hobbie

It's like in the Christmas story movie where il shoot my eye out except they think il kill myself on it.

I've bought every bike I've owned after age 12. My first real bike was at age 17,and I appreciated it a lot more bc I sacrificed and worked my tail for it.

If you show ur parents responsibility of saving for your own bike, it'll be really hard for them to tell you no.

Hey tell them you want to learn how to ride I'm 42 years old when I was 13 I wanted one parents said no I went to local gas station got a job bought a beat up yz 80 hid it over my buddies house they eventually found out they didn't say a word to me after that I still ride I have two sons 5-7 5 year old rides ktm 50 pro senior 7 year old rides ttr 110 I ride 250sx tell them you van make it a family thing you know.

Nag your parents until they give in? I  that the best some of you can come up with?  That is the response of a small child, not someone responsible enough to own a bike, much less race.

If it isn't also a  money issue, racing is a dangerous sport. Parents don't want to see their kids get hurt, especially permanently. It isn't just your abilities that factor into it, it is the abilities (or lack of) of everyone else out there, including the competitive jerks. Maybe they say no to you having a bike because they suspect you won't respect it, that you will ride far outside your abilities and get yourself hurt? Kids often think everything looks so simple. "Look I just got my first motorcycle today, watch me do this 100' double". 

Getting a job and buying a bike (and all the required safety equipment) yourself is a step in the right direction, assuming your parents will let you do that.  You'll have more respect for the bike if you understand just how much it costs and if you are responsible for the repairs. Maybe after riding for a while and showing some ability and commitment to practicing and learning, your parents might relent on allowing you to try racing.

Edited by Badunit

1352068290402_8319495.png

:smirk:

3. Get a job and work your ass off to buy your own bike. 

I'm seventeen and have been riding since I was about 10. I just bought my first bike completely alone, and it's the first thing I've ever seen my name on a title for. Previously I have ridden bikes that were generously provided by my parents. Working for your own stuff is a rewarding feeling man, especially when it's a shiny new to you Honda.  :ride:

I've wanted a bike since  I was 6.  Dad said, "No.  You always have to work on them."  Nagged my parents until I was 14.  Got a job and saved enough money to buy a brand new bike.  Dad then said, "How you going to transport that thing around?"  So, I bought a truck instead.  After that, I still wanted one but life kept getting in the way.  School, girls, college, marriage, kid, job,..... Long story short,  22 years after first wanting a dirt bike my wife talked me into getting one.

Maybe your dad has his reasons for you not getting one right now.  Talk with him and ask what the exact reason is why you can't have one right now.  Try to make them understand your position on getting one.  Act like an adult if you want to be treated like an adult.