Sign in to follow this  

KTM O7-O8 ISSUES?

I am interested in purchasing a used KTM dual sport bike-My riding friend has a 02-520EXC -I enjoyed riding the bike and decided to get some info about KTM dual sport bikes-My KTM friend mentioned that 07-08 had some problems to be aware of before buying- Anyway, if someone has some insight or information about these years I would appreciate knowing- EX-XR650R rider!

Buy an '07. With an 07, you are buying a bike that had been refined for 7yrs. The 08's were new motors that rumour has it were not even tested before going into production. The major issues they had do strengthen that rumour. Plus the RFS is a simpler motor.

With all that said, it is said that  after all the problems are fixed, the 08's are a superior motor to the 07 and earlier. But at what cost dollars wise?

• Like 1

I have an 07 450 exc and love it. Only problem I know of is crappy kickstand. You are gonna want to replace that if they have not already. Good luck.

07 was the only year that the RFS engine came on a factory plated bike.  That means you get the badass engine and can NEVER lose the plate.  They fetch a bit more in California since that specific year is becoming semi rare.  I bought my 07 450 EXC for $5k a year ago with pretty much all the mods (minus a rekluse).

08 450excr for the past 2.5 yrs, no problems, had 1500mi now just over 5k. I read about some oil transfer between trans and engine but so far nothing.

My 08

New top end at 165 hours due to excessive oil use.

Rod bearing let go at 400 hours. Valves are still in good shape and rarely need adjustment, over 9,000 miles now.

Buddies 07

Blowing lots of smoke and got a rebuild at 4,000 miles. Weird for an RFS. Others I know of seem to run forever. One buddy has a 07 525 with 17,000 miles on the

original valves, crank and top end. :thumbsup:

DSCN5617.jpg

• Like 1

I've got 190 hours and 5500 miles on my 450.  Just did the top end b/c it was "overdue".  Looked nearly brand new in there and everything was well within spec - would have waited until 250 hours if I'd known.  Of course that didn't stop me from dropping a 565 kit in there for the lulz...

I've got 190 hours and 5500 miles on my 450. Just did the top end b/c it was "overdue". Looked nearly brand new in there and everything was well within spec - would have waited until 250 hours if I'd known. Of course that didn't stop me from dropping a 565 kit in there for the lulz...

I'm at 220ish and almost 6k.....how's that 565 kit?

Does it make it heavier?

Do you feel the power difference all throughout? Just curious because I don't feel underpowered.

I have an 07 450EXC and a 14 350EXC. Both great bikes. Bought the '07 with 2000 miles on it and immediately replaced the intake valves with Kibblewhites as the clearance kept going away with the stock intakes. Known problem with that vintage KTM. Other than that I've put another 4000 miles on it and not a single problem. Still runs strong, no abnormal oil consumption\smoking. Valve clearance with the Kibblewhites has been rock solid. I think all of the 08-11's all are susceptible to the oil transfer problem. Some bikes have it and others don't.  My buddy's '11 450EXC lost the oil seal while we were on a 4 day trip out in BFE. It seems like KTM never really got their arms around the problem. From '12 onward they abandoned the separate oil concept and went back to shared oil.

I have an 07 450EXC and a 14 350EXC. Both great bikes. Bought the '07 with 2000 miles on it and immediately replaced the intake valves with Kibblewhites as the clearance kept going away with the stock intakes. Known problem with that vintage KTM. Other than that I've put another 4000 miles on it and not a single problem. Still runs strong, no abnormal oil consumption\smoking. Valve clearance with the Kibblewhites has been rock solid. I think all of the 08-11's all are susceptible to the oil transfer problem. Some bikes have it and others don't.  My buddy's '11 450EXC lost the oil seal while we were on a 4 day trip out in BFE. It seems like KTM never really got their arms around the problem. From '12 onward they abandoned the separate oil concept and went back to shared oil.

This is the first I have heard about an oil transfer issue with the 08-11. I always though the RFS were more maintenance intensive so I bought a brand new left over 10 400 xcw. At 60 hours and 1, 028 miles this happened:

Dealer says, "unexplained catastrophic failure". Oil was good. Rod snapped like a twig, piston is jammed in the cyclinder, cases are all fragged, crank siezed, its a totoal loss.

IMG_blown motor1 (2).jpg

pistoncylinder2.jpg

I'm at 220ish and almost 6k.....how's that 565 kit?

Does it make it heavier?

Do you feel the power difference all throughout? Just curious because I don't feel underpowered.

Honestly I was perfectly happy with the power on the 450 but have read that 500 hours is the standard top end interval on the 565 sleeve I got.  If its heavier its gonna be measured in ounces.  I can't tell any difference in weight although it seems lighter in fast corners but maybe that's just the holiday pounds finally getting worked off.  Yes it has more power everywhere and I generally run a full gear higher  than I did on the 450 (haven't played with the gearing yet).  Power is super smooth and reminds me of my CBR F3 I used to own.  Roll on the throttle and the front end just sorta floats up.  Not scary or uncontrollable, just have to get used to the added umph.  It took a bit of getting used to - little blip to pop the front end over a ledge nearly resulted in looping it a few times on the 1st day out.  After a couple more rides the power feels normal and I can't remember how the 450 felt.

• Like 1