District 14 enduro and hare scrambles

Michigan

I'm planning on doing some hare scrambles or enduro racing this year but I can't find anything to tell me what to expect for either type. So who has done these and what can I expect? The district 14 website was no help.

So this website is as about as helpful as the district 14 website

I can help you. Do you have any specific questions? The rules are posted on the sites. Average cost per event is $45.

Mark

I can help you. Do you have any specific questions? The rules are posted on the sites. Average cost per event is $45.

Mark

What is the differance in events?  How long are the events?  Just the basic info really.  I have a buddy Im riding with that both of us want to get started into doing these. 

Hare Scrambles are a closed course whereas an enduro is open country.

Enduro is close to trail riding and you usually don't ride anything twice. HS involve a mix of everything with no breaks other than a gas stop. Course lengths vary from 5 to 8 miles. Enduros run 70 miles average.

HS have MX, woods, grass track, etc...

if you had your choice...what would be a good enduro to start out on...as in being our first one.  Or even yet, what woud be one to avoid having never done one before?

Most enduros have a B and C cutoff. I'd say ride any of them that suits your travel distance and budget.

Typically, the Indiana events have log and water crossings.

Treat your first event as a ride, not a race and you'll go home with a smile.

Treat your first event as a ride, not a race and you'll go home with a smile.

Most enduros have a B and C cutoff. I'd say ride any of them that suits your travel distance and budget.

Typically, the Indiana events have log and water crossings.

Travel and budget is unlimited, meaning if its worth it ill travel to do it. And maybe I should add I'm not new to racing, although I haven't done it on a dirtbike in 20yrs. I'm looking for an enduro race that would be good for a first time enduro rider

I rode my first (two) harescrambles last spring. Portland and Battle Creek. Being so early in the year, Portland was MUDDDDDY lol, plus it rained on and off during the race. That being said, don't do what i did and not have any tear-offs. Im gonna buy a cheap set of goggles and try the wire mesh trick if I decide to run some this year.

But like someone said, the HS (harescramble) is a closed course. They typically go onto the motocross track for a portion of it (at least the two I did). Portland also used a big grass field they roped off a track on. So they had a shortish section of woods that was super muddy and very rutty, then some MX track, then a pretty good amount of the grass field portion, etc. I went to Battle Creek expecting similar...and it was entirely different. TONS of very tight woods, some mx track. The woods section was more technical and very long (almost too long for my tastes). I had bike stall problems that day, ruined my whole day.

I havent rode an enduro, but it basically like trail riding with a marked course and a purpose. I know there is one out in Lawton, MI every year in the summer.

In the harescrambles you get timed by lap basically via a transponder you have to attach to your visor (gorilla tape works great for this). Every lap you slow roll through timing station and it picks up your transponder (which is assigned to you via the registration area), it will display your time and such on a lil screen and then you do another lap. So winner for YOUR class is whoever was the fastest overall the entire time...consequently they usually finish the most laps of anyone. If you're a lot slower then the leader, you may finish 1, 2 or more laps less then him when the race is over. You start with your class and you're on the course with many other classes, all the classes are lined up in big rows for the dead start holeshot. 

You would most likely be riding the 2hr race, and as he said you're only supposed to stop at a designated area for gas, not drive back to your truck, lol. So best to have someone come with ya, set em up sitting there with gas, extra goggles just in case, water if you dont wanna wear a camelbak, etc. I should mention you get a 4x4ish sticker that goes on the back of ur helmet, its color signifies your class for other riders coming up behind u. If you feel someone comin up on ya fast, get out of the way...the fast guys can be dicks and cut you off even when you give em 90% of the track to get around you. lol.

Far as enduros, all I really know is....since its not a closed course, there are checkpoints set up along the way from start to finish. You are timed via these checkpoints. The thing is, you cant go TOO fast, either... So there is some strategy and a sense of how fast you're going between checkpoints so you dont end up getting there too fast. I think part of that is to keep people from trying to cut course in various places. I dont know a ton about enduros tho.

As he said, if you go to a HS, go there with the goal of just getting through it the first time...feel it out. Try to keep a steady pace, going all gun-ho right out the gate will eventually wear you down. With all those bikes out there, the courses can get VERY beat up and taxing on ya.

MrRong, District 14 has a family enduro series that might be a good start spot. If you go to the district 14 website and on the left below the "Family Enduro Series" box, there is a printable schedule with dates and locations. At the top of the page are links and new rider information that is very useful. The folks running these are helpful and very good. I rode my first FES enduro last fall and had a blast. Good Luck.

Edited by Dirty Rooster

Most Enduro's have gone to non-time keeping. Pretty much a race from point A to point B. or section to section. The younger crowd seems to enjoy it more. I like the timekeepers myself. I poke along in the over 50 C class. I like to think I'm going fast but I know where I stand. The real fun for me is not where I place but to ride new challenging trail and to finish with nothing broken, me or the bike. That being said I put on my Lafferty game face, ride as fast as I can and stay out of the way of the real races. You'll have a ball, Like a previous posted said, Treat it like a trail ride. Maybe get on one of the last rows if your concerned about other riders. If your new to the game and get an early row you will have guys passing you all day. The same riders will pass you again and again after every restart. After your first race you will be able to gauge yourself against the other riders and plan your strategy as far as what "class" to ride.

I'm really looking foward to this, as I'm going to use these local enduros as a gauge for a lofter goal!  As not to be one of those intranet smack talkers, I'll keep my goal private.  Because i know if I cant be sucessful at these local races no way am i going to be able to reach my gaol.

I'm really looking foward to this, as I'm going to use these local enduros as a gauge for a lofter goal!  As not to be one of those intranet smack talkers, I'll keep my goal private.  Because i know if I cant be sucessful at these local races no way am i going to be able to reach my gaol.

Don't let the Family Enduro Series name   ;) make you underestimate the talent out there. Some of the best woods riders in Michigan are all over these races. :thumbsup:  I think several very good regular series enduro riders, ride in these with their families and friends. The FES and regular series races tend to be same weekend and same general site. You can imagine the FES race as a warm up for your Sunday regular race, if ya know what I mean. :jawdrop:  Lots of talent, speed, age, and experience out there. Good Luck. :ride:

Edited by Dirty Rooster

Most Enduro's have gone to non-time keeping. Pretty much a race from point A to point B. or section to section. The younger crowd seems to enjoy it more. I like the timekeepers myself. I poke along in the over 50 C class. I like to think I'm going fast but I know where I stand. The real fun for me is not where I place but to ride new challenging trail and to finish with nothing broken, me or the bike. That being said I put on my Lafferty game face, ride as fast as I can and stay out of the way of the real races. You'll have a ball, Like a previous posted said, Treat it like a trail ride. Maybe get on one of the last rows if your concerned about other riders. If your new to the game and get an early row you will have guys passing you all day. The same riders will pass you again and again after every restart. After your first race you will be able to gauge yourself against the other riders and plan your strategy as far as what "class" to ride.

Yep :thumbsup:

Edited by Dirty Rooster

Wow, didnt know that. Like I said, havent done any so far...last I knew they had the time. IMO, I too would like it better not worrying about timing and just pushing as hard as I can without killing myself...let the dust settle (possibly no pun intended) and see where I end up, haha.

I was reading up on time keeping enduros...those do not sound fun. I like just get there as fast as you can type races

I was reading up on time keeping enduros...those do not sound fun. I like just get there as fast as you can type races

There's politics on both sides of the coin but don't sell the timekeepers short on fun. It does not ensure the fasted guy through the woods always wins. Otherwise the same five fastest guys in each class are always going to finish 1-5. I'm not much on the history of it all but I believe that was the original intent. Two different riders of different skill levels each having the same opportunities to win or lose points could end up with the same outcome. In other words if you and riding buddy, you on 250 smoker, him on a 450 thumper, { who you can never seem to catch} are both in the "B" open bracket, you still have a chance to poke fun at him on your way home because you finished better than he did. That being said, nobody carries the 24 mph that they are set at so you can go just as fast as you can through most of it. Either way you slice or dice it both are more fun than cleaning the garage on your Sunday off.