Sign in to follow this  

RMX250 for sale, but has no spark. Should I buy?

There's a 1994 RMX250 for sale here locally but the seller says it has no spark. Is this a common issue? Could it be something simple like a bad kill switch or something much more expensive? He's only asking $350. 

Back story...I DO NOT need another dirt bike but the lure of something cheap is hard to resist. Plus if I can fix it pretty easy it would be fun to add a smoker to the garage! I've been reading thru the RMX threads and I see that these are very good bikes. 

No don't buy it unless your lookin for a project and have money to burn, like more than $350.

Man, that's a tough call. IMO, I think I would walk. You just never know when it comes to electrical as you could be chasing it to no end....

I just went through some electrical issues with my little '02 XR200....I spent about $100 in parts to finally get it running again. I am gonna go look at the RMX tomorrow just for the hell of it. The guy lives maybe a mile from my house. If it's beat, I'll pass on it. 

I just went through some electrical issues with my little '02 XR200....I spent about $100 in parts to finally get it running again. I am gonna go look at the RMX tomorrow just for the hell of it. The guy lives maybe a mile from my house. If it's beat, I'll pass on it.

Good plan. Never hurt to look....

How's that kid of yours? Wear out that tire yet?

Good plan. Never hurt to look....

How's that kid of yours? Wear out that tire yet?

He is doing great! We just went riding today. He had a chance to ride with a bunch of other kids his age. He's still ripping around on his XR50, but I just picked up an '01 PW80 for him when he's ready to move up. Snagged it for $400. All it needed was some fresh gas, a carb adjust, and a new air filter.

The tire is still waiting to be installed!!! And I've had to buy two other tires for other bikes in between!!! I guessed wrong on what I needed. However, I have a buddy that just bought an XR400, if he needs a rear tire I will pay your gift forward.

How is your baby girl doing, Hans? I'm sure you are having the time of your life!! I bet you already got a PW50 in the garage ready to go!

He is doing great! We just went riding today. He had a chance to ride with a bunch of other kids his age. He's still ripping around on his XR50, but I just picked up an '01 PW80 for him when he's ready to move up. Snagged it for $400. All it needed was some fresh gas, a carb adjust, and a new air filter.

The tire is still waiting to be installed!!! And I've had to buy two other tires for other bikes in between!!! I guessed wrong on what I needed. However, I have a buddy that just bought an XR400, if he needs a rear tire I will pay your gift forward.

How is your baby girl doing, Hans? I'm sure you are having the time of your life!! I bet you already got a PW50 in the garage ready to go!

Maybe I'll take that 50 off your hands when the time comes!? I never knew having a kid would be this tough though, she can be lots of work some nights.....

20140208_084208_zpsyacck3ek.jpg

20140109_164001_zpszotgegxv.jpg

• Like 2

Is that handlebar assembly one of the baby's crib toys?  :cool:  Looking good....she likes the Pillowtops!

Yeah....I was pretty much a zombie at work for the first 6 months of my kid's life. It is amazing how the mind can still function with only a fraction of the prescribed sleep needed.

Edited by WWalker

When you go look at that RMX take a good plug with you. Doesn't matter if it is not the correct one, just something to ck for spark. Many times electrical things are very minor. Could even be the plug cap or kill switch.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Looked at the bike today. All that's wrong with it is everything! The dude bought it as-is for $300 back in December. It was a project bike when he picked it up. It had an ebay frame, engine is toast, rear master cylinder shot, chain, sprockets, tires were done, FMF pipe all beat to hell, missing one radiator shroud, plus it has rained for three days and it clearly sat outside during the storm. He told me the previous owner put a used piston and rings into a used cylinder he picked up off ebay....installed used parts without having any cylinder work done whatsover. When I kicked it over it sounded like a rock tumbler. Every other part looked beat up...other than the frame which showed no signs of use b/c the previous owner did not get it running. He is desperate to sell b/c he is moving.....and I kid you not, he lived in a trailer in the driveway of somebody else's house....and that looked very well beat up too. Certainly he was a nice fellow, but I got into my truck and just shook my head. Why do people perform such horrible acts on innocent dirt bikes? 

I thank you all for taking the time to give me whatever advice I needed.