IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

DR650 TM40 carb issue, clean out ran great now no compression

Ok so I have 31000 miles and my bike has run great. Recently I started experiencing poor mileage like 30-35 mpg. I took the carb out and cleaned it and adjusted the valves. Ran awesome. Was looking forward to better mileage. After 10 miles  the bike started to burble and to keep it running had to keep the rpms up. Once it quit it wouldnt restart. Seems like theres no compression. Checked with a gauge and no compression. After consulting the manual it says I should have the throttle wide open during a compression check. Does that matter that much? The gauge didnt even move. What should I check and how should I do that?

recheck the valves. maybe its floating an exhaust valve really badly?    might of ran it lean and have a melted piston also

recheck the valves. maybe its floating an exhaust valve really badly?    might of ran it lean and have a melted piston also

still cranks over easily and it just feels like there no resistance

With the throttle closed the motor will draw in less air to compress vs. throttle open but either way you should see some compression. Spec is 120 psi warm motor, good battery and throttle open.

You don't have the second spark plug out do you?

Bruce

My friend had same problem of low compression, when changed spark plug.

Something was dropped during removal or reinstall of plugs, and cause a leak into valves.

Try to pass compressed air (a lot). Perhaps valve be cleanned, or open top end to verify valves seats.

Verify auto decompressor, it must be free movements and cable free, it return by springs.

sorry my english.