Sign in to follow this  

82 xr200

hey guys. i have a 1982 honda xr200. im having trouble with the wiring and obtaining spark. im getting plenty of current from my stator to my cdi unit, but nothing from my cdi unit to my pulse generator. i think my cdi unit is fried. any thoughts?

in the picture:  the two wires dangling to the left are going to the kill switch

the black wire with the red stripe goes to the stator.

the two wires in the front (green, and the blue with yellow stripe) go to the pulse generator.

the other pic is a wiring diagram

CDI.jpg

wiringdiagram82xr200.jpg

I was just having electrical issues with my '02 XR200. I replaced the pulse generator, ignition coil, and kill switch. That seemed to do it. Not sure if this will help. See if you will get spark with the kill switch disconnected.

hey guys. i have a 1982 honda xr200. im having trouble with the wiring and obtaining spark. im getting plenty of current from my stator to my cdi unit, but nothing from my cdi unit to my pulse generator. i think my cdi unit is fried. any thoughts?

in the picture: the two wires dangling to the left are going to the kill switch

the black wire with the red stripe goes to the stator.

the two wires in the front (green, and the blue with yellow stripe) go to the pulse generator.

the other pic is a wiring diagram

. The 82. Looks a lot different than the 84. But I'm glad to still here about people still having the old bikes around.

The green wire on the cdi needs to go to frame ground. Can't quite tell from pic if u have it grounded

If you look at the wiring diagram it shows a pigtail at the bullet connector that goes to ground and also to kill switch. It looks like you are missing that ground connection. It will not work without it.

Looking at the pics shows non Honda connectors, the diagram shows 3 male connectors and 2 female on the CDI unit.  Keeping the correct polarity on the replacement connectors helps avoid misconnections.  The problem may be the two green CDI wires; one has a male connector and is for the CDI ground connection (and kill switch ground), the other has a female connector and is for the CDI Sensor.  I don't know if the two green wires are connected inside the CDI unit, you could check that with a volt/ohm meter.

As chadzu posted ya gotta have a good frame ground or the system and kill switch won't work properly.  Depending on model the frame ground point is one of the coil bolts or a nearby frame lug, also need bare metal on the frame at the ground point, and on at least one bolt for the coil to the frame. 

In the photo I can't see all of the wire colors, or where they go, just make sure all of the wire colors match at the connections.  You can use Windex or alcohol to clean dirt off the wires so the colors are clearer.

IMO the style of connectors used are not as good as OEM because the aftermarket connectors can't be crimped as tightly as factory  installed, so they are not  mechanically as strong as OEM and subject to corrosion.  Not a problem if you ride in a dry climate and don't use water to clean the bike. If you replace the connectors I recommend a more water resistant marine type (West Marine) or use OEM replacements and apply solder to seal the crimps ( http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Bullet_Connectors/bullet_connectors.html ).

Edited by Chuck.

WWalker, chadzu and chuck, thank you for the feed back, it really helps. chadzu, i went ahead and connected the ground from the kill switch green wire to one of the bolts attached to the frame of the bike that are used to keep the cdi unit bolted to the frame. chuck, ill definitely keep in mind what you said about the non oem connectors that i am currently using, although i crimped those suckers pretty tight. WWalker, i tried what you said, disconnect the kill switch, but ill give it another shot just to be on the safe side.