Tire Swapping, Cheap Mans Adventure Bike!

So I decided to do some tire swapping today. The knobbies just don't last when hitting the pavement.

This is the wheel change setup that's worked great for almost 10 years.

100_0645_zpsf99c6dd7.jpg

Sorry I forgot pics but the Tubes are AWESOME!! Dave at Get Dirty Dirt Bikes sells some Ultra HD tubes that are every bit as thick and good as the Bridgestone UHD tubes. At half the price!! I'm using them front and rear along with the Ride On Tire Balancer/Sealant.

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/110-120-100-18-STI-Ultra-Heavy-Duty-Tube-TB0090U.htm

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/Ride-On-Tire-Sealant-Balancer-RIDE8.htm

For tires I went with the Kenda 761. It's something like a 90% highway 10% dirt tire. Changed the gearing to 15/45. I want to test my bike to some serious highway miles over the next few months. After getting rid of my Ninja 650R, I'm itching to do some cool desert loops.

100_0647_zps43d9eaa2.jpg

100_0653_zps2c864fdb.jpg

Those look like a good tire!-never seen one before.  Could you post updates re: wear and ride performance after you get some miles on them?-looking for rubber for a desert sled build I'm doing

Those look like a good tire!-never seen one before.  Could you post updates re: wear and ride performance after you get some miles on them?-looking for rubber for a desert sled build I'm doing

Thank you. No problem. I will have a review and update over the next few months. Right now I'm running 38 psi rear and 36psi front. When I hit the dirt it will get dropped to 8 rear 10 front. Just the initial test on the highway was strange to say the least. I'm so used to a knobby, it was weird. Rock solid, perfectly balanced with the Ride-On. 

I'm sure some "experts" will chime in and say that I'm wasting my money on the Ride-On tire balancer/sealant. For me, it flat out works. I have peeled off close to 300 mile day rides at 80mph with nothing more than the knobbies howling. Of course I was running 14psi rear and 12psi front. Very pleased with the product. You do get a little headshake the first few miles while the sealant distributes itself in the tire/tube. Much better than wheel weights IMO.

have never used anything like the balancer/sealant-just balance with lead weights-but have always been curious.

Should get good, slow, wear at those high pressures loaded on pave.

Suspect the tires will do great on gravel and hardpan but be deadly on mud and wet grass-look to be far better than trailwings (aka deathwings).

Same tires I have on my spare wheels for the road, heard good things about them off road as well

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392347911.799181.jpg

This is what is on the back right now, IRC M5B

I'm sure some "experts" will chime in and say that I'm wasting my money on the Ride-On tire balancer/sealant. For me, it flat out works. I have peeled off close to 300 mile day rides at 80mph with nothing more than the knobbies howling. Of course I was running 14psi rear and 12psi front. Very pleased with the product. You do get a little headshake the first few miles while the sealant distributes itself in the tire/tube. Much better than wheel weights IMO.

Can you use that stuff with tubed tires?

Wheels on my Beta are very much out of balance. I think it's because of the rim lock being close to the valve stem. On asphalt, it gets wild over 70-80km/h. 

Side question Chris,

How has those MotoZ tires worked for you on pavement?

I'm about done with the oem stuff and have been sitting on a set of the IT Moto Z's with Tubliss tubes for the RS.

And wondered how they performed on the highway?

I bought the 120 rear and 90/90 front.

What road pressure were you running and off road pressure?

Thanx

M

Wheels on my Beta are very much out of balance. I think it's because of the rim lock being close to the valve stem. On asphalt, it gets wild over 70-80km/h.

I am using it in my road set, with rim locks an it seems to work pretty well, had my bike up to 155 km/h. One option is to get the Motion Pro rim locks, they are lighter than a standard rim lock. If you go to Ride On's web site there are recommendations for amounts to use.

Side question Chris,

How has those MotoZ tires worked for you on pavement?

I'm about done with the oem stuff and have been sitting on a set of the IT Moto Z's with Tubliss tubes for the RS.

And wondered how they performed on the highway?

I bought the 120 rear and 90/90 front.

What road pressure were you running and off road pressure?

Thanx

M

I only tried out the Motoz tires in the dirt. I was running 10 psi front and 8 psi rear. It was with the Tubliss system. Sorry I can't comment on the pavement. I'm willing to bet they will burn up pretty quick on the highway.

They worked every bit as good as anything out there in the dirt. I tried them out at Stoddard Wells. There was one thing that stood out, that I was VERY impressed with. The really tight, twisty, rocky, deep sand washes through the narrow canyons were very easy to navigate at slow speeds. I normally struggle through those. Between the low pressure and these tires, not an issue at all. 

I'm really looking forward to trying these Kenda 761 tires in the dirt. These are tubed.

I use the stuff in both my tubed and Tubliss tires. 

Edited by ballisticexchris