3rd piston and crank?

I was told to do my crank when I do my third piston, so it's time. Is that a reasonable time frame? I have no hour meter, but I am guessing the minimum hours is 80 plus. Could be higher, dunno. If it's time, what bearings do I need to replace in the bottom end, besides the mains. I was looking at the oem parts diagrams and stuff adds up quickly. I'd like to be cheap but not foolish. Bike is a 2007. I don't race, but I like hitting the tracks. thanks.

I was told to do my crank when I do my third piston, so it's time. Is that a reasonable time frame? I have no hour meter, but I am guessing the minimum hours is 80 plus. Could be higher, dunno. If it's time, what bearings do I need to replace in the bottom end, besides the mains. I was looking at the oem parts diagrams and stuff adds up quickly. I'd like to be cheap but not foolish. Bike is a 2007. I don't race, but I like hitting the tracks. thanks.

So you think you only have 80 total hours and you do not race? If so then you should not even be worrying about the crank at this time. I replaced my crank at the 400 hour mark (on the meter) which worked out to be just as I was installing my 4th piston (I am counting the piston the bike came with in this since it was new). You should be able to keep going on a 80 hour crank if you don't race with no problems at all

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1492_zpsbc6afd5d.jpg

If you do replace the crank just check all other bearings and be sure they move freely and don't bind/feel rough. Main bearings are replaced. 

Thanks for the tip, oddly enough the crank seemed fine, but there was one grody trans bearing. Another one had a dimply feeling when fingering it. Maybe it was the seal, not sure. Going to send the crank out and have a new rod pressed in, yada yada.