Anyone else restoring a kx 125/250?

Halfway through my restore atm..

*re plated cylinder

*new top end kit

*powder coated frame, went with silver instead of the original green?

*new plastics

*air filter

*linkage bearings and other bearings

*rebuilt carb etc etc

have a few videos on it to. Any sugestionsDSC00285.JPG? as its my 1st restore atempt.. http://www.youtube.com/user/surfydude3217/about

Good looking bike man, I just started a rebuild/restore project on 97 125 that's in terrible shape. Haven't had a bike in years, and this is my first kx, so I'm new to this forum and this is actually my first post. Just got the bike home and started tearing it down. I'll try to post a pic, but on my phone right now so not sure if I can.

complete!

Nice looking kx need some new levers and grips lol we're did you get your blk frame guards

Good looking bike man, I just started a rebuild/restore project on 97 125 that's in terrible shape. Haven't had a bike in years, and this is my first kx, so I'm new to this forum and this is actually my first post. Just got the bike home and started tearing it down. I'll try to post a pic, but on my phone right now so not sure if I can.

cool man! look foward to seeing it

Thats what i want mine to be like, i have a graphics kit on the way and a new fmf fatty and powercore 2, so il post that u when i install them :)

Steer away from ebay graphics. Spend some $ and get some real good ones. I got these for $100 on ebay. The back fender graphic was designed like crap, wasnt even, etc. The airbox graphics only came half way. The front fender and rad shrouds were alright though.

Got everything tore apart a couple days ago and have some unexpected problems, (broken impeller shaft, broken bearing boss on the swingarm) ect. So it'll be longer than I thought for the after pics. Kinda hoping that someone will tell me I'm not crazy for rebuilding such an old beat up bike instead of buying a newer bike for about the same cash.

IMG_20140228_105839.jpg

IMG_20140208_105648.jpg

Steer away from ebay graphics. Spend some $ and get some real good ones. I got these for $100 on ebay. The back fender graphic was designed like crap, wasnt even, etc. The airbox graphics only came half way. The front fender and rad shrouds were alright though.

dam! i already purchased some $100 graphics on ebay, lets hope i dont have the same luck!

Got everything tore apart a couple days ago and have some unexpected problems, (broken impeller shaft, broken bearing boss on the swingarm) ect. So it'll be longer than I thought for the after pics. Kinda hoping that someone will tell me I'm not crazy for rebuilding such an old beat up bike instead of buying a newer bike for about the same cash.

hang in there bud! its such a good feeling when you complete it, teaches you alot along the way.. cant wait to see how it turns out!!

nice project man. 

im doing a 97 kx125 right now.  Motor is almost put back together, frame is ready for paint.

• Like 1

nice project man. 

im doing a 97 kx125 right now.  Motor is almost put back together, frame is ready for paint.

nice! what color are you going for? post some pics so we can see :)

I'll have a before and after pic... but Im just going with the usual black frame.  Pondered with silver for a while..... but went black.

Waiting for the weather to change so I can paint in my unheated barn... VHT roll bar paint.

I have the bottom end complete, and the cylinder is sitting on my kitchen table right now while I clean the powervalve components.

Where in Nz are you johny I'm from Christchurch. I've just about got my 97 kx125 back together. Should be fireing it up today for the first time. A friend gave me the bike. It had a stuffed big end bearing so I managed to pick up a complete 99 engine off trade me that is supposed to have a new piston and ring fitted to it. I've also been thro and replaced all the swing arm bearing and linkage bearings, new fork seals, new disc pads, chain and sprockets and regressed the steering head bearings.

What did you do with your old pipe that you took off. I've only got a standard pipe to put on mine and would like to put a after market pipe on it

I really like the way yours has come out to bud

Edited by Wnut

Where in Nz are you johny I'm from Christchurch. I've just about got my 97 kx125 back together. Should be fireing it up today for the first time. A friend gave me the bike. It had a stuffed big end bearing so I managed to pick up a complete 99 engine off trade me that is supposed to have a new piston and ring fitted to it. I've also been thro and replaced all the swing arm bearing and linkage bearings, new fork seals, new disc pads, chain and sprockets and regressed the steering head bearings.

What did you do with your old pipe that you took off. I've only got a standard pipe to put on mine and would like to put a after market pipe on it

I really like the way yours has come out to bud

hey mate! im from christchurch to, well actually kaiapoi atm... ive still got the old fmf pipe its pretty shit tho, have it if you want! lol sounds like its coming along nice!! post up some pictures when you can man... im going to the waimak this weekend for sure

I'll have a before and after pic... but Im just going with the usual black frame.  Pondered with silver for a while..... but went black.

Waiting for the weather to change so I can paint in my unheated barn... VHT roll bar paint.

I have the bottom end complete, and the cylinder is sitting on my kitchen table right now while I clean the powervalve components.

sounds a bit like how i did it, just had peices here and there, nice job! the black frame should look good!