New Irish member with TM 250

Hi guys, just found this forum and recently started a bit of a build so thought i'd join and stick it up here.

Quite a long story with the bike, got it when i was like 16 but the discs were cracked. then i started taking it apart. then i left it and didn't touch it for a while so my cousin bought it to do something with it. but all he did was take it apart and do nothing with it haha! so i took it back and will get it going

1999 tm racing 250 two stroke. needed discs and the spring on the Ohlins rear shock was broke. also there was spokes missing on my bike and a bad tires. then i saw this newer shape bike for sale with no engine so bought it cheap. it has good discs, pads, wheels, tires and i'll take the nice Ohlins front end off it and put it onto my 99.

IMG_0919_zps72f56fbc.jpg
IMG_0926_zpsd09152b6.jpg

got the 2004 front and back end on my bike over the weekend. also got a new axle from ccm. really can't wait to get this yoke movin haha!!

11B9E24C-1447-45F6-9B99-58BA7F35F58D_zps
BF37FDEA-DEC2-46FD-972A-B86EA7612240_zps
AEFE3B1D-B7A7-4D78-9D41-424105E520FC_zps
242891C5-74C3-4547-9F71-8F8469D7BF7A_zps

back disc and pads ordered so will arrive this week. the only problem now it the expansion pipe is broke at the front. i'll try and get my local welder to do a job on it. failing that i see pro circuit have the same part number for the tm 250 and ktm 250.

my cousin also gave me this 1994 TM, there's a hole in the engine though!

it should be pink but someone painted it red.

IMG_0917_zpsc42625e7.jpg

Edited by johnmaloney88

what part of ireland?

what part of ireland?

Mayo

priced a back disc off TM Racing UK, £200!!! Found this place in the UK that makes their own discs, £30! Will be fine for my auld yoke.

disc_zps87148388.jpg

I have the exact same disc on my TM 300, I'm curious how long it'll last on your bike.

My disc was toast in less then 15hours, had to swap the brake-pads three times (sintered).

Also had these discs on my Husqvarna didn't last long either, they are stainless whereas the OEM is heat treated steel.

So please let me know when you have around 15hours on the disc.

I have the exact same disc on my TM 300, I'm curious how long it'll last on your bike.

My disc was toast in less then 15hours, had to swap the brake-pads three times (sintered).

Also had these discs on my Husqvarna didn't last long either, they are stainless whereas the OEM is heat treated steel.

ya i've heard mixed reviews but it's worth a try. spending £200 for a disc on a €700-800 bike just isn't an option at the moment.

Coming together nicely.  Looks like fun  :cool:

ya it's a nice little project. however i can't get it started. it's getting spark, air and it's getting fuel as the plug is getting wet. it will start with a spray of "easy start" but won't run.

tm4_zps1896c2ae.jpg

maybe it needs an exhaust :D

maybe it needs an exhaust :D

i'd say it badly needs an exhaust haha! it feels exactly like it's not getting fuel. but it definitely is.

well first off put a exhaust on it :p.. have you checked compression...have you had it started before?

I'm not sure if the 04 you have there is a 2t or 4t, if it's a 2t (frame is different), I'd swap over the tank and plastics.

Or It might be better to put the engine in the 04.

BTW you have the rear disc mounted the wrong way, it's directional so flip it over and it's all good!

I'm not sure if the 04 you have there is a 2t or 4t, if it's a 2t (frame is different), I'd swap over the tank and plastics.

Or It might be better to put the engine in the 04.

BTW you have the rear disc mounted the wrong way, it's directional so flip it over and it's all good!

oh good man! haha, i just copied the way the old disc was on.the spare bike is sadly a 4t as i was thinking about doing what u said. i'll get the exhaust on today and give it a pop.

exhaust on and still no start, at least it looks kinda good! 

image_zpsee5be8c9.jpeg

is she reasonably hard to kick or push down with your hand...take out the plug and put your thumb over the hole and kick it should blow your thumb off..also how mnay kick did you give it?

Check that the flywheel key is not sheared and that the timing is good. Do a compression test to make certain top end is ok.

ya I bought one for my 300 and same thing, only lasted around 15 hrs, but that was hard racing as well. I was able to get a solid disc from ccm, can't remember the price but was under 100 euro and its very good

I'll only use the bike an hour here and there so it'll do for a while. Put my thumb over the plug hole and it blew my thumb off when I pushed it down. I think the compression is fine. I think I should just get the chain on and give it a tow!

well if you got spark/fuel and compression should start...is your air filter clean..on my bike with air leak it was hard starting..you ever had it started before?

if it runs (which i wouldn't recommend doing) on easy start it sounds like the carb is the problem. I'd strip, clean and set the float level

Edited by doctorchopper