Sign in to follow this  

any one run maxxis tires?

curious if any one has some experience with maxxis? particularly rear tires? I have read several topics about tires and don't see much about them.

I'm a fan of the Maxxis SI (soft-intermediate) rear tire in a wide range of conditions, especially in soft sand or mud. The Maxxis IT rear lasts forever, but I have found it only hooks up if you are on very hard packed dirt (like cement). If you get into any loam or soft dirt it seems to just spin.

I've run the desert IT front and back for quite some time and have loved the durability. Just recently though I've noticed the rear not holding up near as well, the last one only made it through 3 solid rides. I know any 450 eats tires up but needless to say I was not pleased. Right now I'm running a b-stone 404 on the rear am pretty happy with the performance. Next I'm trying the Washougal sticky on the front only to see what kind of traction/durability it offers. Overall maxxis puts out a quality product.

I have run the front and rear maxxis IT's on all my bikes since first introduced to them 4 years ago....very great and long wearing tire....predictable sliding/braking/cornering on hard packed and intermediate, with good longevity...i ride hard packed/intermediate terrain mx tracks and trails with an occasional sand ride also.....its a great tire with out breaking the bank....i run them on both my cr250 and crf450

I ran the Maxxis IT on the rear for woods riding last year.  They preformed and held up quite well with lots of grip in the spring and early summer when the ground had moisture in it.  When the ground dried out, I thought they were a bit slippery.  I had the Michelin S12 on the front and they were OK but chunked badly.  This year I'm trying the Maxxis EN on the front and the Maxxis IS on the rear to see if that's a better all-season durable combination.

I have ran the Maxxis SI, IT, and Desert IT. The SI has the best traction in soft-intermediate terrain, and wears pretty evenly. The regular IT rear is durable and hooks up when the dirt is wet in intermeidate terrain, but is very slippery on dry hard terrain. It works alright in soft dirt/sand, but not as well as the SI. The Desert IT is similar but can chunk in rocky sections a bit easier, and can also last a bit longer if it doesn't chunk. I think the Desert IT has a bit harder rubber, compromising traction for durability, and is a bit more slippery than the IT. I would not recommend the IT or Desert IT front. They wear well, but just don't hook up unless the dirt is perfect. There are much better options for the front (my personal favorite is the bridgestone 403).

I had a desert It on the rear of my 12 450 xcw and it was a great tire I ran it heavy a ultra heavy tube. I like this combo because you can run low air pressure. I put about 900 miles on it last year. Now I'm putting one on my new 300.

I ran the IT or desert IT on  the rear of my YZ 250 for years, with an SI front. I didn't like the IT front. I found this combination to be a good mix of traction and durability. Ran it the first part of this season on my RM 250 and when they were done, I put some Full Bore M37's on it since the local shop had just started carrying them and were offering them at a good price in order to increase awareness of the brand. They have been good so far. 

I have ran the Maxxis SI, IT, and Desert IT. The SI has the best traction in soft-intermediate terrain, and wears pretty evenly. The regular IT rear is durable and hooks up when the dirt is wet in intermeidate terrain, but is very slippery on dry hard terrain. It works alright in soft dirt/sand, but not as well as the SI. The Desert IT is similar but can chunk in rocky sections a bit easier, and can also last a bit longer if it doesn't chunk. I think the Desert IT has a bit harder rubber, compromising traction for durability, and is a bit more slippery than the IT. I would not recommend the IT or Desert IT front. They wear well, but just don't hook up unless the dirt is perfect. There are much better options for the front (my personal favorite is the bridgestone 403).

^^^^ This pretty accurately describes my experience, although I didn't feel it was "very slipper" just a little slippery. 

I have ran Maxxis tires a few times....my biggest issue was they were a booger to mount and a bigger booger to get off!  Very tight bead!

• Like 1

I usually run a desert IT in rear and a SI in front for desert races. The front grips well and lasts 5-6 races. The rear I get two 80 mile hare and hounds by flipping the tire. I feel like for the price the Desert IT wears great as most other tires I only get one race. Just trail riding they last very long just get chunked after a while. I stick with them as my go to tire.

I am running the desert IT at 3 psi or so using the tubliss system and it hooks up everywhere, from rocks to slippery roots here in the PNW.  I was really amazed as were my friends when I was hooked up on some of the nasty climbs that we have here in Oregon, I bought the tire when I was living in Vegas and I figured might as well run what you brung and it has work amazingly well.  I have no clue as to how it works at higher pressures though.

I'm a fan of the Maxxis SI (soft-intermediate) rear tire in a wide range of conditions, especially in soft sand or mud. The Maxxis IT rear lasts forever, but I have found it only hooks up if you are on very hard packed dirt (like cement). If you get into any loam or soft dirt it seems to just spin.

i got maxxis it rear tire. absolutly terrible on anything except hardpack. and the knobs on the outside is shredded/gone because of ruts. got it with a set of wheels will never waste money on such crap.