Sign in to follow this  

Falcon's Ride

So yesterday was a warm day hit 50 degrees. ! so got a nice 40 mile ride in.   This trip i decided to drive a little harder and flex a little honda muscle. LOL LOL yeah about that. ......  so i drove down to the river and of course had to think for the driver who was kind enough to pull out in front of me, I knew he would not look so i stopped short ahead of time to save him the trouble of having to remove a bike from his driver door.  it happens and you have to drive Defensive/Aggressive, but in my bikes lethargic factory state more so defensive.

I then proceeded to drive down a nice back road one i have driven many times over and was going to see how fast my bike would take me. i made it to 60mph easy running 6,000 rpm. little more throttle and 65mph. then to max throttle and i was leaning down as far as i could to be as aerodynamic as possible and made it to 77mph running in  Mid to uppper 7,000 rpm, that was a LOT of work. at of course at that moment the two cars in front of me started hitting brake lights and had an on coming car,  a few seconds later the two in front swerved left. and i am left looking at a cyclist who i am sorry "felt" entitled to ride at 10mph in the middle of the road. so the brakes worked well, and as i had to wait my turn to pass mr. tour de france.  i passed as politely as my bike and manners would allow.  back up to speed just in time for the twisties. and again this bike just does so well. i have no complaints of the suspension so far, other than the bike is light and seems to get blown around a bit with a good wind. also wonder how a scotts damper would calm the front end. from being twitchy.  

Now the decision do i go main highway or stick to what i have been on as of now back roads..... eh Highway.... i get the green light and here i go. 1st,2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th,...65mph and full throttle 6th..... 70mph..... At this point the only thing going through my head is all the reading i have done ( 13t 13t 13t 13t 13t 13t ) because i was beginning to feel like i was hindering traffic. at one time i attempted to pass and it was sooo slow i think the other car slowed down to  LET me pass. The next closest exit i was ready to take was five more miles so i just kept the throttle pinned and kept as low as i could and thumped along. I made it off the main highway and was going over that stint of road thinking well this is why i got this bike to limit myself. cause if i had the extra oomph i would have been in triple digits. 

The Return home i have a nice mt. to cross.   mt for me hill for the rest of the world.  and i am cruising along 50-55 mph and get to my favorite curve, i roll on the throttle, lean in and as i exit i notice two things. One i am doing 58mph, Two i am still sitting comfortable upright on a barely leaning bike....and i laugh out loud.... and this is why i got this bike to limit myself... because on my previous bike a sv650 i would have been at 80mph, and scraping pegs. I thump on home and pull into the driveway. i take my helmet off, use my bike lift and oil the chain, park the bike and go inside to see my wife and son and again this is why i got this bike to limit myself..... 

Falcon083

• Like 9

If you go with 13/42's you can still keep the stock chain ... witch happens to be a nice D.I.D. O-Ring chain ...  I had the stage 1 and could hit 80 mph and cruise very nicely at 65-70 mph ... on the 14/40's 77 mph was my top speed. I know .... it does not make sense does it ...  :shocked:  This bike is way way over geared for the amount of horsepower it has ...  :banghead:  In my opinion It should have came with 14/45's witch is the same as 13/42 but you save the expense of a new chain....  :prof:

The thing I liked about adding the 42 to the rear was that with just a 13 up front your axle is slid back too far to allow for stretch as time goes by and sooner or later you will have to remove a link or two. It does raise your RPM's at higher speeds but this little Honda can run like that all day long ...  :thumbsup:

just my thoughts on the subject ...  :thinking:  

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

If you go with 13/42's you can still keep the stock chain ... witch happens to be a nice D.I.D. O-Ring chain ...  I had the stage 1 and could hit 80 mph and cruise very nicely at 65-70 mph ... on the 14/40's 77 mph was my top speed. I know .... it does not make sense does it ...  :shocked:  This bike is way way over geared for the amount of horsepower it has ...  :banghead:  In my opinion It should have came with 14/45's witch is the same as 13/42 but you save the expense of a new chain....  :prof:

The thing I liked about adding the 42 to the rear was that with just a 13 up front your axle is slid back too far to allow for stretch as time goes by and sooner or later you will have to remove a link or two. It does raise your RPM's at higher speeds but this little Honda can run like that all day long ...  :thumbsup:

just my thoughts on the subject ...  :thinking:  

How did the 13/42 change your fuel economy.  also by changing out the front sprocket that was rubber coated to a non. was the noise from the chain "that" noticeable.?  Thanks ! 

I haven't noticed any noise from down there! The change in the bike is worth any economy loss's in my opinion.  Having said that, I don't take any notice in how much fuel I'm using!!!!  Somebody will have made notes :thumbsup:

• Like 2

How did the 13/42 change your fuel economy.  also by changing out the front sprocket that was rubber coated to a non. was the noise from the chain "that" noticeable.?  Thanks ! 

I did not notice any noise either .... I honestly can not comment on MPG other than my guess is 55-60 .... I have the 305 kit on mine and I get 50-55 now. 

So yesterday was a warm day hit 50 degrees.

If it hits 50 degrees here, I have to bust out the heavy duty gear. That's a lot of work, so I usually take the truck instead. 50 degrees is cold where I am :D

• Like 3

If you plan on riding the freeway a fair bit I would start with 13/40 and then decide whether you still need the 42 on the rear.

If you are mainly doing trails definitely go with 13/42

Top speed will increase with further break in.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

I did not notice any noise either .... I honestly can not comment on MPG other than my guess is 55-60 .... I have the 305 kit on mine and I get 50-55 now. 

Thanks,  and i keep forgetting your bike is a whole different animal. not much resembles the original bike. LOL. you are just ahead of me. I am a modder and can't leave anything alone. my wifes jeep i made a cold air intake, it was funny the first time she got on it, she commented listen to the engine growl. i just grinned. 

• Like 4

If it hits 50 degrees here, I have to bust out the heavy duty gear. That's a lot of work, so I usually take the truck instead. 50 degrees is cold where I am :D

We have had some weird weather lately, last year was a mild winter, never got below 45 degrees. this year we have already had single digits. they are calling for an ice storm tonight and into tomorrow morning. Snow maybe. but more ice i bet.  i rode for a short bit last week 27 degrees, thats as low as i will go before i take the car.  All that said, I can't wait for spring to be here. Like you said less gear to deal with. ! 

Thanks,  and i keep forgetting your bike is a whole different animal. not much resembles the original bike. LOL. you are just ahead of me. I am a modder and can't leave anything alone. my wifes jeep i made a cold air intake, it was funny the first time she got on it, she commented listen to the engine growl. i just grinned. 

I am getting close to being done .... I just ordered some wheels today from Dubya. Hopefully the weather is good enough this Saturday for me to trailer it to the shop to get my Scotts damper installed.

I even bought some new tires too ... :thumbsup:  I wanted a smaller rear so I went with a 110/100-18  

• Like 3

If you plan on riding the freeway a fair bit I would start with 13/40 and then decide whether you still need the 42 on the rear.

If you are mainly doing trails definitely go with 13/42

Top speed will increase with further break in.

Hopefully this coming weekend i can find a decent trail to have a test run on and see how the gearing does there to see where i need to be gear wise. 13/40 or 13/42  i have my old tools from my previous bike to shorten a chain if need be.  I will do something just need to see how much fits me. 

• Like 1

I am getting close to being done .... I just ordered some wheels today from Dubya. Hopefully the weather is good enough this Saturday for me to trailer it to the shop to get my Scotts damper installed.

I even bought some new tires too ... :thumbsup:  I wanted a smaller rear so I went with a 110/100-18  

Awesome !  Then you can tell me how that damper works !  so are you sticking with dirt or going moto on wheels and tires. i have seen where you had many routes you planned on going. 

its funny i tell the guys at work how i ride and they are like on those tires you will wipe out..... and i have yet to feel any signs of the Front tire pushing out or the rear slipping yet? Dunno but i like the IRC Footloose factory for now. ( will see once i find dirt) but seems everyone does not ever go back to those and i assume there is a reason. I just need more Seat Time. 

Hopefully this coming weekend i can find a decent trail to have a test run on and see how the gearing does there to see where i need to be gear wise. 13/40 or 13/42  i have my old tools from my previous bike to shorten a chain if need be.  I will do something just need to see how much fits me. 

You will not need to shorten it right away .... after you put on just the 13T you will notice your axle will be in the red of your gauge is all ... when you run out of adjustment I do not think your chain will be toast. 

I also got a 48T rear coming and I will put my 14T back up front.

• Like 1

Dunno but i like the IRC Footloose factory for now. ( will see once i find dirt) but seems everyone does not ever go back to those and i assume there is a reason. I just need more Seat Time. 

........  :lol:  you will find out soon enough if you like to venture off road and end up on your butt  ....  :p

• Like 1

We have had some weird weather lately, last year was a mild winter, never got below 45 degrees. this year we have already had single digits. they are calling for an ice storm tonight and into tomorrow morning. Snow maybe. but more ice i bet.  i rode for a short bit last week 27 degrees, thats as low as i will go before i take the car.  All that said, I can't wait for spring to be here. Like you said less gear to deal with. ! 

Weird weather here too. Usually colder than it is. Been a really warm and dry winter.

Back to Nice Weather down here 65 degrees. ah spring is around the corner. we should have one more cold snap and then about two weeks of spring weather then summer will be here. 

so Rode the other day to make a grocery run. i have an older tank bag i had for my SV, a TEKNIC, but it is too large. i tried it on the front a no go and then on the rear still just a 

bit to long as well. so i ended up using a camel back for the time being.  Birthday is around the corner, so i should have some funds to invest in a rear rack and a bag to fit. luckily i just picked up steaks and sweet potatoes to grill for dinner. they fit.  :rolleyes:   i figure at my current rate of riding it will provide the most use. i did pick up some hand guards but they did not fit and would require way more modification then they were worth. so back to the drawing board on that. 

I may see about slimming down my rear fender. it gets in the way when i try to use my bike stand. Might start with the simple DIY hacksaw route and finally end up with a proper fender eliminator kit.    

I have all the time in the world. now that i finally have my 250L !!  :ride:

• Like 2

Call me crazy but my 14t with the rubber makes more noise then my 13t without the rubber. A lot more noise...

• Like 1

i read about one, maybe XR650...i think so, where the rubber thing caused the chain to ride higher, and engage the teeth less - not good...so they cut them off. So maybe that would cause it to make more noise. Either way, back in the day ^^ we only had sprockets without rubber and no o-ring chains, and think we weren't eveer bothered by chain noise unless the chain was shot. or loose., slapping. 

• Like 2

i read about one, maybe XR650...i think so, where the rubber thing caused the chain to ride higher, and engage the teeth less - not good...so they cut them off. So maybe that would cause it to make more noise. Either way, back in the day ^^ we only had sprockets without rubber and no o-ring chains, and think we weren't eveer bothered by chain noise unless the chain was shot. or loose., slapping. 

Makes Sense.