2012 RMZ 250 Sprocket Combination

According to my research, the bike comes stock with a 13 tooth front and a 49 tooth rear.  I just ordered a 50 tooth rear and a 12 tooth front.  I would like to try some combinations (perhaps order some more rear sprockets); what do you guys run/have you run?

I am building an mx track at my house.  The track will be about a 1/2 mile long on 5 acres, so not a lot of long straightaways, thus my thinking of going bigger in back and smaller in front for more low end.  I will also trail ride and stuff too so just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

According to my research, the bike comes stock with a 13 tooth front and a 49 tooth rear.  I just ordered a 50 tooth rear and a 12 tooth front.  I would like to try some combinations (perhaps order some more rear sprockets); what do you guys run/have you run?

I am building an mx track at my house.  The track will be about a 1/2 mile long on 5 acres, so not a lot of long straightaways, thus my thinking of going bigger in back and smaller in front for more low end.  I will also trail ride and stuff too so just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Dropping one in the front is probably equivalent to 3 up in the rear so you potentially went up 4 teeth. That's way too much. I've had both a 12 and 13 rmz 250 and prefer the 13/49 best for motocross. If you ride at a track that was arenacross style with short straights and is a real tight track then I could see using a 50 maybe 51 but don't drop the front sprocket down to a 12.

Edited by 95s10nj
  • Like 1

Dropping one in the front is probably equivalent to 3 up in the rear so you potentially went up 4 teeth. That's way too much. I've had both a 12 and 13 rmz 250 and prefer the 13/49 best for motocross. If you ride at a track that was arenacross style with short straights and is a real tight track then I could see using a 50 maybe 51 but don't drop the front sprocket down to a 12.

amen to that! Don't touch the front sprocket.. go up one or two on rear.. I'm running a 13/50 for outdoors and it is great.. the bike still has great top end ability while obtaining better bottom end grunt

Guys-chexk out the gear ratios of a crf250 or a yz250f to an rmz250. Not sure if i am getting wrong info-but it looks like our ratios are much lower internally. Basically,our 2nd gear is equal to some other 250f first gear. When my rmz250 was stock i felt the gearing was really low. I mean first gear is pretty much useles with 13/49. I do have the Bb kit on, but even with that-running 14/49 sometimes i feel the trans is geared really low. I cant imagine 13/50 or 13/52. Might be good for a really tight track. With stock gearing as a 250-i was normally in 4th/5th and had to double shift into turns on my track. 2nd and 3rd are the "power" gears-so whatever it takes gearing wise to get into more of 2nd and 3rd will be beneficial. I woukd consider my track pretty tight. One concern with gearing tall is people worry about losing snap-i dont feel i lost sny snap gearing it much taller,because i was able to use more of the transmission. I found when i was in 4th gear more often with the low gearing-that caused me to drop rpm easier. Not saying anyone is wrong-whatever works..works. just throwing out another idea and my experience related to gearing.

• Like 2

Yeah i am not saying it is perfect gearing for everyone but certainly worth trying and its cheap. Jt 14t steel front is only $11 on amazon. I just ordered 1. Had a talon front and it wore quickly. Still waiting biketo get back from dealer from ecu update. Shoukd have it this week. I will try to post up some gear ratios from other bikes. Pretty interesting. The rm125 and rmz250 use very similar ratios. Front sprocket is same also. The primary gear changed in 2010 and changed ratios slightly. One of the reasons bike went from 12t to 13t front sprocket. Does anyone know how to find out primary gear ratios from other bikes? Id like to compare to rmz. I can see differences in gear ratios but not primary gear. Nice to make a nice comparison of each bike. From the numbers i have seen-it appears the rmz has the lowest internal gearing. The only bikes i saw that were similar was a husky tc250 and a beta 350-but they have 6 speeds. And again-our 2nd gear is like those bikes 1st gear. Which means when we are in 5th gear tapped out. They coukd be in 4th or 5th with room to pull another gear. The one i cant find and would really like to see is the 13 ktm 250sxf gear ratios and the 350sxf gear ratios-since its not fair to compare to 6 speeds,which is all i found that had nearly identical gear ratios on minus 6th. Another question is how hard woukd it be to use an rm125 6th gear? On earlier models there was supposedly a blank gear and it was literally a modified rm125 trans in the rmz250-not sire on this. Just what i found in searching.

Yeah i am not saying it is perfect gearing for everyone but certainly worth trying and its cheap. Jt 14t steel front is only $11 on amazon. I just ordered 1. Had a talon front and it wore quickly. Still waiting biketo get back from dealer from ecu update. Shoukd have it this week. I will try to post up some gear ratios from other bikes. Pretty interesting. The rm125 and rmz250 use very similar ratios. Front sprocket is same also. The primary gear changed in 2010 and changed ratios slightly. One of the reasons bike went from 12t to 13t front sprocket. Does anyone know how to find out primary gear ratios from other bikes? Id like to compare to rmz. I can see differences in gear ratios but not primary gear. Nice to make a nice comparison of each bike. From the numbers i have seen-it appears the rmz has the lowest internal gearing. The only bikes i saw that were similar was a husky tc250 and a beta 350-but they have 6 speeds. And again-our 2nd gear is like those bikes 1st gear. Which means when we are in 5th gear tapped out. They coukd be in 4th or 5th with room to pull another gear. The one i cant find and would really like to see is the 13 ktm 250sxf gear ratios and the 350sxf gear ratios-since its not fair to compare to 6 speeds,which is all i found that had nearly identical gear ratios on minus 6th. Another question is how hard woukd it be to use an rm125 6th gear? On earlier models there was supposedly a blank gear and it was literally a modified rm125 trans in the rmz250-not sire on this. Just what i found in searching.

what's the ecu update for? Thought you had PCV

Got 2014 ecu installed. Suzuki has service bulletin for 2013s that had issue with kick back. Not sure if you remember-last month my bike took a poop. Kick backed and snapped tooth off gear on clutch basket. Punched hole in the case. Put it together and took to dealer for the service bulletin. Suzuki paid for update but thats it. Kinda pissed but o well. As long as it works. Sucks because it happened right around the time there was talk of the update. . Still have pcv. The 14 ecu just cuts spark off during intake stroke on startup then goes back to standard spark once running. Basically a cdi swap.