Sign in to follow this  

Bike for my kid

Looking at buying a bike for my 7 year old son. First bike coming off a 110cc quad. Not sure what to get. Want something that will last a couple of seasons. He needs a 23 to 25 seat height. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't get him a KTM 50 for his first bike unless it is a Mini Adventure series. The SX's are rank little bikes, MX track only.

Don't get him a KTM 50 for his first bike unless it is a Mini Adventure series. The SX's are rank little bikes, MX track only.

I didn't know that I never seen one go in person. 

Thanks

What one would be best the KTM 50 Adventure or PW 80? I know where I can find both used. For about the same price.

klx 110 or a Honda 110,crf70 , if you want to get a bike with a clutch crf80 or the klx 110L if your just riding. the ktm.s sx 50are high strung race bikes that require a ton of attention . the ktm 65 is a great little bike and this would be what I would be looking @ if I was planning on racing or trying any track type riding 05-08 are good bikes and are very reliable .We race so at 7 my kids raced their Cobra 50 and had a 05 ktm 65 . we also had crf 50 and 70's to play on and still have them they beat them things to death and they still run worth every penny .

I didn't know that I never seen one go in person. 

Thanks

What one would be best the KTM 50 Adventure or PW 80? I know where I can find both used. For about the same price.

Well I'm a firm believer in keeping kids bikes small and light, none of this growing into it crap especially since resale on kids bike is generally a no loss situation (if you buy used) The KTM is about half the weight of the PW80, way better suspension, and a lot more power. The clutches can be lots of maintenance on these KTM50's, but the spring activated clutch on the MA generally is pretty problem free compared to the cup washer system of the SX model. What year is the MA? If it is an older air cooled model I would probably skip it as these engines are produced by Marini Franco, who are no longer in business, and parts have pretty much dried up. I deal with this first hand as my sons 50SX is one of these older air cooled motors.

One problem with the new liquid cooled KTM50's is they like to boil over. The reason I originally went after one of the air cooled ones...

Well it will be a hassle free machine and it's not crazy heavy being that it's a 2 stroke. It will be good for just putting around trails.

My son currently has an XR50 but just last week we picked up a clean 2000 PW80 for $400. It is going to be his next bike. We have property that we ride on that is great trail riding....just what these bikes are made for. From my research here on TT I decided to get a PW80. They are known to be very good dependable bikes. Check out the mini/pee wee forum and just enter PW80 in the search....you'll see some good stuff. Good luck. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/216-minipee-wee/

I just bought my son a new DRZ70. Haven't used it yet but impressed with the overall layout, specs.

We let our son try his PW80 a couple of weeks ago.....he loves it! this photo is from the first day we let him ride it. He now refuses to even sit on the XR50!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1393340001.831305.jpg

I just bought my son a new DRZ70. Haven't used it yet but impressed with the overall layout, specs.