Common to ride a 250 2stroke and also 250 4stroke

I started with a KX250 2t.  Road and raced it for a couple years and do good with it.

Always wondered about a 4t, so bought a YZF250.  I only got to ride it a couple times before the winter set in.

It was indeed way different in some regards....but similiar in the fact that it's a dirt bike.

So looking forward to spring.  My idea is to have both bikes in perfect running condition (which they are presetly) and bring them both with me all the time.  I ride 90% MX.  I do fine on the KX250 at the local AMA track....have not brought the 4t there yet.

I have a trck around my house and plan on riding them both all the time.  I ride most every day as my exersize (way more fun that jogging).  Having two different bikes will mix it up a bit and make laps different.  It is not easy to change the track around, so change the bike is my thought.

But, some say it is a hinderence to ride both.  Doesnt help either and in fact it might even make me slower on both instead of faster on either.  I understand they are different.  I felt that straight away the couple times in November when I road my new (to me) YZF250.  Sure, they are differnt in many ways....but they are similiar in more ways than different.

So, I'm asking, do many of you have both 2t and 4t and ride them both all the time?

CooHead

?

I'm not trying to start any war or 2t versus 4t argument.

Just wondering if many people have and ride both.

If it is indeed distracting and detramental to my progress.

I'd guess it will only be fun to be able to FART around on the 4t and then Braaap around on the 2t.

:_)

Can't wait for you guys to come over and ride some laps.  A nice day at FoxValley will be great.  Only a couple more months ?

?

I'm not trying to start any war or 2t versus 4t argument.

Just wondering if many people have and ride both.

If it is indeed distracting and detramental to my progress.

I'd guess it will only be fun to be able to FART around on the 4t and then Braaap around on the 2t.

:_)

Can't wait for you guys to come over and ride some laps.  A nice day at FoxValley will be great.  Only a couple more months ?

I can't wait either. I re-built just about everything this winter.

I'm thinking my next bike will be a European 2t woods bike. I'm just afraid I won't have the skill to ride it well and will always be wanting a 4t.

I think most real dirt bike junkies have or have had both. I don't really have a preference so I think it's funny to hear people hate on on or the other. I think that if I'm gonna be riding all day I prefer a four stroke. If I only have a couple of hours the two stroke wins.

I have a CR250 a YZ250 and a KX250f. The 250f has more hit than the CR. I love all of them. I primarily ride the KX and CR on the track. The YZ is my main trail bike. Flywheel weight and such. I never really thought about switching from one to the other. Just seems natural.

I have a Yamaha DT200 trail bike and a Honda CRF250R , I ride them both and can switch easily between them .

They are totally different and I like them both equally  , I love to make the DT scream , all the power is high up and it is very nimble . The CRF has loads more grunt and the suspension  and brakes are way better .

Somehow I think the DT is more my baby , something intangible about the feel of a 2 stroke that I love .

I think most real dirt bike junkies have or have had both. I don't really have a preference so I think it's funny to hear people hate on on or the other. I think that if I'm gonna be riding all day I prefer a four stroke. If I only have a couple of hours the two stroke wins.

If I'm going trail riding with my buddies, I take the 250 2t. If I'm going to a XC race, I take my 250f.

I prefer the 2t, but the 250f is easier to hang on to when you get tired.

Wow, These statements are different than what I've heard from others. I thought the low end torque and engine braking of the 4t was what wore you out. I may have just learned something new.

If either of you care to elaborate, I'd love to learn more. I'm leaning toward a 2t trail bike, but if it's going to just wear me out more than the 4t, maybe I'll just get another 4t.

Edited by Katzat

The hit of an MX 2T is tiring to manage all day, 4Ts are more linear in power delivery.

A woods 2T is a lot smoother and puts power down almost as well as a 4T. They tend to handle a bit lighter as well.

So it's mostly just a case of comparing apples to apples- the wildest MX 4stroke out there makes a similar type of power to an enduro 4stroke but an MX 2stroke makes radically different power than an enduro 2stroke.

The torque of a 4T isn't tiring, quite the opposite... hookup is predictable and less violent. Decel braking, same thing- a rider with throttle control uses engine braking as a form of antilock and it gets the job done more efficiently in some cases.

Wow, These statements are different than what I've heard from others. I thought the low end torque and engine braking of the 4t was what wore you out. I may have just learned something new.

If either of you care to elaborate, I'd love to learn more. I'm leaning toward a 2t trail bike, but if it's going to just wear me out more than the 4t, maybe I'll just get another 4t.

Trail 2 strokes are way different than mx 2 strokes.  Also remember that if you are comparing a 250 2t to a 250f the 250 2t has way more bottom end torque.  A 450f is a different story altogether. 

The main difference in feel to me is the snap of the mx 2 stroke when you crack the throttle.

I have a cr250 and a crf250. Love the 2t and only got one ride on the 4t before winter. I ride mx and I liked the even power and engine braking of the 4t but it took me half the day to get used to. I love both and plan on alternating all next season. As far as if riding both might hurt skill I don't know but I would imagine any seat time is good seat time.

I used to have a 250f and never really liked it. I ride offroad, and the 250f didn't have enough low-end power for technical trails. It would also boil over and flame out frequently. If I rode mx it might have been different, but for the terrain I ride, a 250-300 2 stroke is better in almost every way.

Trail 2 strokes are way different than mx 2 strokes.  Also remember that if you are comparing a 250 2t to a 250f the 250 2t has way more bottom end torque.  A 450f is a different story altogether. 

The main difference in feel to me is the snap of the mx 2 stroke when you crack the throttle.

This gives me an opportunity to ask some more questions from anyone that knows and has an opinion:

I have a 450F MX bike that I ride on the trails some.

Some VERY experienced trail riders have told me the trail 2t thing is more religions than anything else. They say that if I'm used to the 4t maintenance and don't mind it, I'll be happier riding a purpose built wide ratio geared trail 450 4t, and actually ride it better.

But others, probably equally experienced trail riders (here on TT that I don't know personally) have told me a purpose built trail 2t (like a Beta or KTM) is less work to ride on trails due to weight, torque, and less engine braking. And that I'll like the low end torque just as much as I currently like with the 450F.