Sign in to follow this  

Alls Balls seal heads, anyone use them ?

I use them all of the time with good reliability. As with any seal, there are the occasional failures but for the most part they do a good job. And just an FYI: All Balls seal kits are also labeled under the names Moose and MSR

I've used there seal heads for years without issues. They are cheaper then oem but unfortunately are not rebuild able. But for the price they cost you might as well throw a new one in! The seals seem to last unlike there fork seals- Junk! constantly leaking and excessive stiction- tough to install from poor sizing.

Recently I've been rebuilding the stock seal heads, but the bushings can be tough to press out- you usually need a propane torch. If the bushing is ok you could just replace the oil and dust seal- easy to do.

I've used there seal heads for years without issues. They are cheaper then oem but unfortunately are not rebuild able. But for the price they cost you might as well throw a new one in! The seals seem to last unlike there fork seals- Junk! constantly leaking and excessive stiction- tough to install from poor sizing.

Recently I've been rebuilding the stock seal heads, but the bushings can be tough to press out- you usually need a propane torch. If the bushing is ok you could just replace the oil and dust seal- easy to do.

Actually they are rebuildable, you just have to get the parts from All Balls. But your right, for the price its generally not worth it. I always rebuild the stock seal heads when possible.

As for the fork seals, I have really good luck with them as well. I have seen some sizing inconsistencies a few years ago but for the most part I think they are OK. If you grease them properly, they have no more stiction than other seals

And for getting the bushings out, I have found that a Sears 11mm deep 3/8 drive socket is excellent for removing 12mm bushings. Just thick enough to catch the edge of the bushing to hammer it out without damaging the seal head. But not all 11mm sockets are created equal. Some are thicker than others and won't fit into the seal head.

any good or use something else? 

What bike do you have that you want to replace the entire seal head as opposed to rebuilding it?

What bike do you have that you want to replace the entire seal head as opposed to rebuilding it?

sometimes its just cheaper to buy the whole assembly rather than the parts

Couldn't pay me to use anything from AllBalls, cheap shit!

You know, I've heard others say that as well, but I have a really good track record with them. I rarely have to warranty any. Depending on which bike, I use them, OEM or SKF. Of course I have the best luck with SKF (so far) but not every one wants to pay $70+ for a set. I always rebuild seal heads with OEM stuff, except for older KTM's (pre 2008) and various others, but again, on the ones that I do replace them with they hold up really well. I just serviced I shock with a Moose seal head in it that I installed 4 years and thousands of miles ago and it just now started leaking

sometimes its just cheaper to buy the whole assembly rather than the parts

for the customer or the company?

Well, what do you guys replace when you do a usual rebuild?  Do you just replace parts that look worn or do you replace certain parts no matter what?  If I open a shock that's leaking and see more than 1 worn part then I just replace the entire assembly.  It's going to cost you $20-25 to replace those parts so you may as well spend an extra $20-25 and get an entirely new assembly.

would love to get a SKF seal....they look really awesome and worth the $$$$....but not listed for my bike

I always just replace them all while I'm in there. Oil seal dust seal bushing and oring. Usually the bushing is fine but I just put a new one in.

I'd love to try the skf seal head but a normal kyb seal doesn't have much stiction on a polished shaft. One of these times I'm gonna try it.

Has anyone here used skf seal heads?

in my case i do not even know where to get a OEM seal......its not listed in the yamaha parts

Go to your local dealer or accessory shop. If they are a Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky dealer, they sell KYB seals and bushings. You can get complete seal heads as well. P/U has a better selection

Also, a little know fact, but several KYB shock oil seals fit in Showa and WP seal heads. Way cheaper and easier to get

i could not find a KYB head at PU but race tech seals were the cheapest there

Really? They are a KYB distributer. Tell me what bike you have and I'll look up the part number for you. The whole seal head may be a little more than a RT head, but depending on the model, you can rebuild your existing one.

my YZ takes a 46x14.....but i just bought a bunch of stuff from racetech and went ahead and got a head from them......their head looks waaay more better than stock......thanks to racetech for the TT 20% discount !!!!!