230s vs 250s

lookin for the best bike for me im an experienced rider and ride mostly trails. im 5ft6 and 145 lbs .i want a four stroke and feel like i could handle the 250s but can harldy reach the ground  been lookin at the ttr and crf 230s which i like because of the price but not sure if il love it in the long run 

lookin for the best bike for me im an experienced rider and ride mostly trails. im 5ft6 and 145 lbs .i want a four stroke and feel like i could handle the 250s but can harldy reach the ground been lookin at the ttr and crf 230s which i like because of the price but not sure if il love it in the long run

When I started riding again, I started with a 230. I was bored to tears within a month

I have a good friend that is the same height as you. Not sure what your budget is but my friend had service honda install a 250X motor on a 150r frame. It's pretty wicked and wants to pick wheel up all the time. He has rode it for 4 years and is now going to a ktm with a lowering link, which you could put on many full size bikes at a fraction of the cost of the service honda. He is still on the tips of his toes though. Good luck but avoid the 230 if you want any real suspension.

Consider a Honda xr200r. Its much more capable than a 230 if you do a few mods. I bought a 99 two years ago for $1000. Picked up a rolling chassis from an 88. Swapped the shock and fork tubes. Rejetted and installed a unifilter and have been having a riot and raised some of my riding buddies eyebrows. I'm 5ft 11in 195lbs. The bike weighs about 220 and handles great. It doesnt like big sand Whoops but then neither do I. You are the perfect size for this bike. I got all the info from this site and it was VERY EASY. I'm not a very good mechanic but didnt encounter any problems doing the mods. I have an ear to ear grin every time I ride it. I ride family enduros and sanctioned trail rides and haven't encountered anythhing that it wont go thru or up. I've been dirt biking for many years and wish I'd have done this sooner. 

Consider a Honda xr200r. Its much more capable than a 230 if you do a few mods. I bought a 99 two years ago for $1000. Picked up a rolling chassis from an 88. Swapped the shock and fork tubes. Rejetted and installed a unifilter and have been having a riot and raised some of my riding buddies eyebrows. I'm 5ft 11in 195lbs. The bike weighs about 220 and handles great. It doesnt like big sand Whoops but then neither do I. You are the perfect size for this bike. I got all the info from this site and it was VERY EASY. I'm not a very good mechanic but didnt encounter any problems doing the mods. I have an ear to ear grin every time I ride it. I ride family enduros and sanctioned trail rides and haven't encountered anythhing that it wont go thru or up. I've been dirt biking for many years and wish I'd have done this sooner. 

I totally agree with the little XR giving a big grin! I love my '02 XR200R. I have not done any suspension upgrades, but, like you, I have found that it will go up, over, or through anything....plus it is nice and light with a torquey little motor. It's an under-appreciated little mule....for that reason they can be had for cheap. Mine was in pieces when I bought it so it only set me back $200. I put about another $200 into it to get it up and running. Of course I have purchased some other things along the way since it's been running...but a great bike none the less.

You need to figure out what you want to do on your next bike. Are you a scenery gazer and ride alongside the wife and kids or do you want to push some limits with speed and handling?

Do you prefer something with less maintenance in exchange for lower performance? 

5' 6 is pretty short for a full size bike even with a lowering link and shaved seat but plenty of small guys make them work without going to the level of custom-shortened suspension.

Personally I couldn't be happy with anything less than a full size 250 although the CRF150R Expert comes pretty close, they have quite a lot of power and the chassis would be a great fit for you. The KTM 105SX is a full competion small bike as well in two-stroke flavor. Much lighter handling than the CRF150R but with much less bottom end power. Both bikes have top quality suspensions and brakes. You can valve either bike's suspension for the type of riding you do and the engines are pretty versatile in both, suitable for fast woods riding as-is.

Having ridden plenty of 200, 230 and 250 play bikes I can honestly say that I'd be unhappy to own one- they are all made for slow, inexpert riding.

I would opt for the xr200 over the 230s. A 250f is in a different league. It sounds like price is a big consideration and modding one of the higher tech bikes could be expensive. If you want to do fast expert riding, and cant afford a 250 plus mods, then look for one that is already lowered and maybe set up for a lighter rider. I agree that the 150 expert would be a great choice.The rider thats selling it is probably closer to your weight so mods might not be an issue.