2000 DRZ400e CA bike...street legal...what to check

I have someone who is selling  a 2000 DRZ400e converted to street legal bike in California. At this time I have a WR250F a bike that I like for trails and the only reason I am thinking of changing is coz its not street legal.

What should I check on this bike before buying and should I be concerned about it road legal status ? How much heavier and different could it be from my WR ?

Its a 300+ pound bike,    make you sure you check everything about it being street legal,   cause you know in Cali if it is not street legal from the factory its impossible to make it street legal,  you used to be able to,  but that ended in 2004,  so check everything,  as the non street legal DRZ'S are worth hardly anything out here.

do you have the CL ad for it,  that way we can check it out more,    whats the asking price?

Its a DRZ400e with title and has been legal in CA, first it was plated in Nevada and transferred to CA in 02  single owner. Its through a contact ..... no CL ad. Price $2500.

I rode it and its ok not a high revver. The engine has not been worked on as per owner. The gears were a bit soft and not very notchy unlike my WR

There is no way id pay $2500 for a 14 year old drz...    the 2000's had the smaller headlight and the bad ACCT as well,  no speedometer, etc

If you do some reading on the ADV forum,  theres lots of stuff about getting plates taken away,   and it happens when you transfer ownership. 

Id look for a S model,  street legal from the factory,   does it have the FCR carb on it?

my friends neighbor just street legaled a kx500 2 stroke in ca this past fall

my friends neighbor just street legaled a kx500 2 stroke in ca this past fall

And people rob banks and not get caught... that day.

Men have sex with HIV infected prostitutes and not contract HIV...that day

Do people get a plate for a non road register able bike and not get caught? Yes.. That day.

There is no legal way to register and plate a KX500 in CA "this past fall".. that's not to say it can not be done.. but not legally and not following the regulations statues and laws.  Do people lie, cheat and find those who do the same or are just ignorant of the rules and laws in order to get a plate on a bike not allowed? Of course.

If your fiend has found a legal way to do what you say he has.. he can make much money in CA doing it for others...of course,,, it's easy to change the law or regulation and fix a hole that was unintended some might exploit.. so even if it was done not in violation of the law... the state of CA will fix that if it is realised. as their intent is clear, their legislation is clear .. No Dirt bikes on the road.

Its a DRZ400e with title and has been legal in CA, first it was plated in Nevada and transferred to CA in 02  single owner. Its through a contact ..... no CL ad. Price $2500.

1st, $2500 is way too much for a 2000 DRZ E even if it has a plate today.

2nd, it's a gamble, as CA has stated, legislated and enacted policy and regulations that forbid that bike from being on the road... That someone found a way... is not surprising.. .. that CA will just let it go if found out (say at change of title, ownership and registration) is not likely

If it's a DRZ400 you want in CA... get an S, and MOD to your hearts content. . 

And people rob banks and not get caught... that day.

Men have sex with HIV infected prostitutes and not contract HIV...that day

Do people get a plate for a non road register able bike and not get caught? Yes.. That day.

There is no legal way to register and plate a KX500 in CA "this past fall".. that's not to say it can not be done.. but not legally and not following the regulations statues and laws.  Do people lie, cheat and find those who do the same or are just ignorant of the rules and laws in order to get a plate on a bike not allowed? Of course.

If your fiend has found a legal way to do what you say he has.. he can make much money in CA doing it for others...of course,,, it's easy to change the law or regulation and fix a hole that was unintended some might exploit.. so even if it was done not in violation of the law... the state of CA will fix that if it is realised. as their intent is clear, their legislation is clear .. No Dirt bikes on the road.

i really dont care what he did or how he did get it street legal, as it doesnt apply to my needs/wants.

but i know he DID do it... so its clearly possibly, illegally or not, it happened

theres  also a kx500 street legal on craigslist now..

i even seen a few street legal raptor 700's in ca also btw

but i wouldnt doubt the plates to get revoked in the future also

thats why i left my response short and to the point

Edited by 707LAKE

The title states MOTORCYCLE not OHV. I think I can negotiate it to $2.2k I  am not sure since without actual mileage what is the engine condition. The bike is definitely old and but  I don't think I can get a street legal dual sport drz for that price in CA for sure. I am in 2 minds. I would definitely need a speedometer for about $70 on ebay i guess.

The title states MOTORCYCLE not OHV. I think I can negotiate it to $2.2k I  am not sure since without actual mileage what is the engine condition. The bike is definitely old and but  I don't think I can get a street legal dual sport drz for that price in CA for sure. I am in 2 minds. I would definitely need a speedometer for about $70 on ebay i guess.

a 13+ year old off road bike, with no trust worthy recorded of maintenance, repair, mods, is a tinker's toy   IF .. I say  IF you are capable of doing all your own diagnostic work, repairs, upgrades, and do not need to rely on paying a shop for it.. buy the bike at or just above parts value.... as that is what it is worth to most... But hey, everything for sale is worth exactly what someone will pay for it.. so if your willing to pay $2200, than that is what it is worth 

Either adapt a Mtn Bike speedo or pop for a Trail Tech.

AFAIK, OHV dirt bikes registered before the 2004 deadline and meet the on road reqmts are still OK but the puddle is drying up.  That said, CA wants to sniff your M/C tail pipe too.