Sign in to follow this  

My God these Air Forks are stiff

Ok- I basically 'pogo'd around the track- I'm about 184lbs, vet a-  running about 102 sag, and 34 psi.   I had a bit of success backing the compression out of both the fork and shock, and slowing the rebound down.

Is this just the nature of the beast? Any similar skilled riders with suspension tips, experience??   It should be noted that the bike is new, and yesterday was the first ride (but did 4 20+min motos)

Thx!

Ok- I basically 'pogo'd around the track- I'm about 184lbs, vet a-  running about 102 sag, and 34 psi.   I had a bit of success backing the compression out of both the fork and shock, and slowing the rebound down.

Is this just the nature of the beast? Any similar skilled riders with suspension tips, experience??   It should be noted that the bike is new, and yesterday was the first ride (but did 4 20+min motos)

Thx!

I have the opposite opinion. I am 175lb vet int and my forks would damn near bottom on hard braking with 35 PSI and 7-8 out on comp! They needed a revalve of the mid to keep it riding higher. Although the revalve help a ton, I could never find consistent settings and ended up putting the MX Tech SFF kit in which took care of it. Barely need to touch the clickers ever now.

I see you are in Texas. If you ride mostly soft terrain tracks you may have different results. I ride mostly intermediate/hard pack in California... 

Edited by skthom2320

I would agree as well that I have the opposite effect. I ride at 36-37 PSI and weigh 185. If I had a complaint it's that it blows through the mid on braking bumps.

Thanks guys. Maybe what I'm feeling is just that. It could be the ' firmness' is in fact the forks blowing thru... ( funny that it doesn't bottom off of big jumps though..)

Ultimately, I revalve every bike I've owned, but I at least want to break it in, and have a firm grip on what it's doing currently,. Plus, just getting aclomated to a different bike. Is the rear spring ok for my weight? (185)

Edited by superdavebmr19

I'm thinking you'll feel differently about the forks after 5-6 hrs. Mine loosened up considerably in that time. 

165 vet intermediate 37psi... mine was revalved by tootech and bascially had to firm up the front end. check your rebound... if you go in harder on rebound forks get harsh quick. speed up (out) the rebound and fork will smooth out. Mine was very sensitive stock, 1 or 2 rb clicks made big dif. you have a find fine line because too fast and you will blow thru.  Also try more sag (105+) to unweight the front end  

They take some time to break in. But in my opinion they aren't worth the benefits. The left fork on my practice bike got a leak in it last season.

Also, it's such a pain in the ass to check the pressure. To make matters worse, I got oversized XT1 Tag bars on my race bike and now I have to take the freaking bars off to check the pressure! I run my bar mounts in the forward position so with stock bars all I had to do was turn my forks around. But with oversized bars you can't reach it no matter what.

If I had the money id swap for 2012 forks for both my bikes...

They take some time to break in. But in my opinion they aren't worth the benefits. The left fork on my practice bike got a leak in it last season.

Also, it's such a pain in the ass to check the pressure. To make matters worse, I got oversized XT1 Tag bars on my race bike and now I have to take the freaking bars off to check the pressure! I run my bar mounts in the forward position so with stock bars all I had to do was turn my forks around. But with oversized bars you can't reach it no matter what.

If I had the money id swap for 2012 forks for both my bikes...

Got lucky and traded a guy for his 2012's don't regret it one bit.
  • Like 1

Got lucky and traded a guy for his 2012's don't regret it one bit.

Well I'll have you know that I have special air forks that are light years better than others. But I'm willing to make you a deal and trade straight up for your '12 forks. Because I'm a nice guy, guy.

I bought a new 12 last year just because of the air forks on the 13.

After reading these kinds of posts I'm glad I made that decision.

I had both a 12 and a 13 and stock for stock the 13 forks were much better for me. It is more trouble checking the air every ride, but I have had no other issues with them.  To each his own I guess.

I had both a 12 and a 13 and stock for stock the 13 forks were much better for me. It is more trouble checking the air every ride, but I have had no other issues with them.  To each his own I guess.

I would agree, I like them too.

Althought, I blew a fork seal and lost all the oil within two hours of new, no air was lost. That being said, I replaced both seals with SKF and they have worked perfect since, 40 plus hours now.

All in all they are great forks. The bottoming resistance is a thing of beauty, I've landed a few times that would have left me bruised with normal shocks and these soaked it up.

Once I get the mid revalved I think they'll be perfect.

..got about 4 good hrs on them now- fairly rough conditions. No bueno IMHO. Just a completely different feel. My revalved WP stuff on my 13' ktm is WAY better. Granted, the ktm has been revalved, and is set up perfectly. The Kawi isn't quite balanced for my weight...Getting a lighter rear spring, and revalving both ends. Physically, I'm in good shape, but the dang thing beat me to a pulp. So much in fact, that I threw my back out... Been side lined for the last 2 weeks.

I'll give a report once I'm back in the saddle.

..got about 4 good hrs on them now- fairly rough conditions. No bueno IMHO. Just a completely different feel. My revalved WP stuff on my 13' ktm is WAY better. Granted, the ktm has been revalved, and is set up perfectly. The Kawi isn't quite balanced for my weight...Getting a lighter rear spring, and revalving both ends. Physically, I'm in good shape, but the dang thing beat me to a pulp. So much in fact, that I threw my back out... Been side lined for the last 2 weeks.

I'll give a report once I'm back in the saddle.

I weigh 66kg and got a 5kg spring for rear shock, settled the Beast down a lot

To me the shock is more of an issue than the forks. It is valved really stiff for most folks and wants to spike and kick around a bit.

I have a 14 nd I blew threw one of the forks seals within the first week of riding I replaced it with a oem seal still blew thru it after a couple hours think im going to try sfk seals

Hey guys I had posted in thumper talk about my forks at the beginning of last year, I was complaining about them being too stiff and major stiction! I rode the whole year like that after complaining to Kawasaki, They checked them at the dealership and at the factory and pretty much told me I was talking crap, My seals blew at the beginning of this year and when I took them apart I found that the rebound rod had major scorch marks in it, this was clearly a factory fault as it was like this from day one! I since sold the bike and have bought another one and am loving life on it! its like im riding with a different make of forks!

So check that, it takes a long time to wear and when it does they do feel a little better!