Second bike recommendations?

What would you guys suggest for a 2nd bike for woods riding and general putt around? Here are my wants in order:

1. Able to be plated directly off the showroom floor

2. 200-250cc (or enough juice to haul my 240 pound butt up to at least 55mph)

3. Light. Less than 300 pounds. I want to put it on a hitch mounted carrier on a Jeep Rubicon.

4. Fuel Injected.

5. Cheap but still reliable.

I want something a little smaller and easier than the BRP for tight trails and such. This won't be a replacement for Big Red but rather a companion.

I've looked at the Yamaha XT250 as it is FI since 2013 but more than I want to spend and I think it's a stupid looking bike. I doubt I'll get Fuel Injection for my budget but thought I'd ask. I've also considered the TW200 but the tire selection is lacking and I don't think FI. Maybe an older XR200? I think the XR250's are dual carbs and I don't wanna mess with that. 

Why not just grab a CRF250L?

Meets all you needs except under 300, and I've seen some guys over in the 250L forum on here that take off a bunch of crap and bring the bike under 300. 

Why not just grab a CRF250L?

Meets all you needs except under 300, and I've seen some guys over in the 250L forum on here that take off a bunch of crap and bring the bike under 300. 

Good call. I think that is out of my price range for a 2nd putt around bike though. It looks like anything fuel injected is going to only be a few years old and expensive. What if I delete the fuel injected requirement? Should I try to find an early 2000's model XR200 or KLX? I'd preferably like to stay under $1000. It has to run but doesn't have to be dead reliable as I'd only be a max of 20 miles from my house.

I'd find a xr250r preferably punched out. or klx300 plated. 24 hp seems a sweet to even at 220-240 lbs.

Plate-able or tag-able off show room floor? Whats  the budget?

Plate-able or tag-able off show room floor? Whats  the budget?

Not sure. I want to be able to easily and legally ride it on a normal road to get to the trails about 5 miles from my house. Right now I'd say a budget of $1000 but I'd entertain suggestions up to $3000 and just wait a year or so.

I have a friend with an older xt250 that I have ridden often. Has a carb and is super fun, even bone stock. I am sure a little more juice is available with a jet kit and/or pipe. Cheap and reliable, for sure.

Somehow when you listed "Able to be plated directly off the showroom floor" I didn't catch that you actually want some 10 year old bike that you can get for a thousand bucks.

Leave out #5 and the CRF250L sounds like the best choice.  The most recent issues of Motorcyclist magazine did a comparison test of the latest Japanese 250 dual sports and the Honda came out on top, closely followed by the Kawasaki KLX250.  The Suzuki and Yamaha were both very far behind, and for different reasons.

So do you want a light, reliable, fuel injected dual sport, or do you want some cheap old bike?

So do you want a light, reliable, fuel injected dual sport, or do you want some cheap old bike?

That was my confusion as well.  If it's the former, you want the CRF250L, if it's the latter, I don't really know.  Careful with the 250L, though, you might find that you like it more than the 650.

Sorry about the confusion. I originally wanted a fuel injected bike but didn't realize to get that I'd have to get basically a brand new one. I didn't realize fuel injection was such a new thing in dual sport bikes. I thought I could get an early to mid-2000's fuel injected model but I don't think that's possible anymore. In Post #3 I amended my "requirements".

I guess I have to get a cheap old bike for now and try for fuel injection if I ever sell my 650L. I'd like to stick with Honda but may look at KLX250's too. Any other gems out there I should consider?

If i was in the market for a fuel injected street legal 250, it would probally be a wr250.

If i was in the market for a fuel injected street legal 250, it would probally be a wr250.

:thumbsdn:

B

:thumbsdn:

B

LOL...care to enlighten me? What dont you like about the wr250 Brian?

LOL...care to enlighten me? What dont you like about the wr250 Brian?

Nope.....

:devil:

B

xr250l, they are about a grand they kick super easy they are low maintenance they last forever no worries bout getting it plated goes 65 easy to find parts for…It was my first bike and i miss it sometimes. i didn't spend a dime on it other than oil changes. i currently also have a crf230l its a piece of crap heavy slow bottoms out easy clutch went out at 2k miles.  not worth the cool looks and magic button 250l had way better suspension and power and was 1/3 the price.

Edited by xrRider LasCruces