Sign in to follow this  

03 cr125 or 08 125sx

Hi guys, im looking to purchase a used two stroke 125 for weekend use on pretty open logging trails. I have been riding for 15 years and am just looking for a cheap bike to go trail riding with. There are two bikes that i am considering at the moment, one is a pretty clean 03 cr125 with a full FMF exhaust for $1250, the other is a stock 08 125sx for $2600. The ktm is obviously newer and has more power but the honda is less than half the price. I'm not sure which one would be the better buy so i figured i'd post it on here and see what other people think. This will be my first two stroke so any additional information would be much appreciated.

I have an 03 CR125 and it's a great bike- cheap and reliable, handles fantastic. BUT it has zero bottom end, this even with an Airstriker carb, Fatty pipe and Vortex ignition. They are kind of famous for being the peakiest 125 ever. It's pretty tough to ride singletrack with so I don't take it out much, waiting on funds to do a big bore and woods port.

The KTM 125SX has a lot more useable engine than the CR does, my buddy's got a 2007 125SX and I have ridden it a bunch. They have a hydraulic clutch and generally nicer componentry than the Japanese bikes. I'm not a fan of KTM ergos but that's not necessarily going to be a problem for everyone.

If it's in nice shape I'd say go with the KTM, they are really great bikes after 2006.

I have an 03 CR125 and it's a great bike- cheap and reliable, handles fantastic. BUT it has zero bottom end, this even with an Airstriker carb, Fatty pipe and Vortex ignition. They are kind of famous for being the peakiest 125 ever. It's pretty tough to ride singletrack with so I don't take it out much, waiting on funds to do a big bore and woods port.

The KTM 125SX has a lot more useable engine than the CR does, my buddy's got a 2007 125SX and I have ridden it a bunch. They have a hydraulic clutch and generally nicer componentry than the Japanese bikes. I'm not a fan of KTM ergos but that's not necessarily going to be a problem for everyone.

If it's in nice shape I'd say go with the KTM, they are really great bikes after 2006.

correction every ktm after 04 is a great bike I have a 05

1392079418818.jpg