Sign in to follow this  

Working on dirty bikes.

Nothing grinds my gears more than having to work on a dirty bike.. My buddy just have me his 07 YZ125 to rebuild. He offered me $75 plus all parts since he doesn't know how. I got the bike and it's a mess! Dirt and grease everywere.. I hate working on messy bikes! Plus I can't hardly wash it since it is, like 20 degrees out and there's about 11 inches if white stuff on the ground.

• Like 3

Nothing grinds my gears more than having to work on a dirty bike.. My buddy just have me his 07 YZ125 to rebuild. He offered me $75 plus all parts since he doesn't know how. I got the bike and it's a mess! Dirt and grease everywere.. I hate working on messy bikes! Plus I can't hardly wash it since it is, like 20 degrees out and there's about 11 inches if white stuff on the ground.

Just say no!

• Like 2

working on dirty bike doesnt really bother me too much.   but if it bothers you tell your buddy to wash the bike before you work on it

I know what you mean. The wifes bitching at me because of the constant wd40 smell in the garage.

Tell him to come get it and clean it OR... let him pay you to clean it.  Bike shops charge to clean a bike before working on it, why not you?

• Like 1

Come on you guys.  He probably didn't wanna get his hands cold washing his bike.. so since you are doing him the favor, why don't YOU wash the bike!?!?  Afterall, everyone except your friend with the 125 enjoys his fingers turning into popsicles.  Lots of fun.

All kidding aside, if I were in your shoes and he were a good friend, I'd be a good friend and just clean the bike.  It doesn't take long.  But if he's just an acquaintance, which I suspect since you are accepting the $75.00 to do the work, then have him clean the bike or pay you more.

• Like 1

Come on you guys. He probably didn't wanna get his hands cold washing his bike.. so since you are doing him the favor, why don't YOU wash the bike!?!? Afterall, everyone except your friend with the 125 enjoys his fingers turning into popsicles. Lots of fun.

All kidding aside, if I were in your shoes and he were a good friend, I'd be a good friend and just clean the bike. It doesn't take long. But if he's just an acquaintance, which I suspect since you are accepting the $75.00 to do the work, then have him clean the bike or pay you more.

He's a pretty good friend of mine, I didn't want to accept the money, he told me if I was gonna do it he was gonna pay me.

I'm just gonna wash it. Not a big deal, I just CAN'T work on dirty bikes.

But the $75 is probably going back into his bike.

I found out he's gonna need front an rear wheel bearings, and a front brake line. That's about $50-60. I'll take the left over money and buy me something!

I work on my father-in-laws bike for him since I have more time then he does, and his bike is dirty most of the time. Therefor I understand how you feel about working on a dirty bike, but I also understand that some people don't have time to clean their bike, and like your buddy and my father they don't know how to work on a bike so they don't understand how much harder it is to work on a dirty bike. Its frustrating but look at the good side work on a dirty bike in your garage or don't help him out and work on his bike in the middle of the woods, and I'm sure it will be dirty there also. 

• Like 2

I've had good luck with completely soaking the bike with Simple Green and letting it sit for 5 minutes, then power wash the dirtiest spots and hose off the rest. I work on friend cars all the time but tell them to spend $2 in a do it yourself car wash and power wash the engine on their way over.