Sign in to follow this  

long exhaust pipe

Hello, I have a really long exhaust pipe on my Honda crf250r 2013 and I'm thinking of making it shorter a bit, but I'm wondering, would it have any negative effects on the engine?

1624576_10201750079689445_1951191870_n.jpg

P4170142.JPG

Would likely increase backpressure, which is typically the opposite of what you'd like an exhaust mod to accomplish.

one of my best friends raced the ISDE last year on a 2010 CRF250R. He barely failed the sound test, (stock 2010 canadian version muffler), the local Italian guys supplied him with a stock CRf250R euro spec muffler. It was a couple inches longer and had a smaller diameter outlet hole.

Result: quieter, smoother pull, easier to ride fast for a long time.

He has shelved the smaller louder muffler, now he only runs the stock euro spec CRF250R muffler.

My 2009 CRF450R had a short loud muffler stock, large diameter outlet hole. My 2011 CRf450R has a longer muffler with a smaller diameter outlet hole (Just one inch!!) I love how quiet the bike is and the power delivery of the 2011 is much better for a long tough race than the barky 2009 model.

Like the owners manual says: when you make changes, test lap times with a stop watch before and after the changes, to determine if it was a good change or a bad one. I have seen MANY people buy a loud exhaust, swear they are faster, but they are actually slower. The stop watch does not lie!