Yz 125 problem

So if I'm getting spark, air, and fuel, and I've got plenty of compression, why is my bike not starting?

you need to be able to maintain pressure in the crankcase to help draw fuel up through the transfer ports.

Did you do something to it recently like mess with the float height? Sitting for awhile? Choke working? Kicking it only or have yea been able to try push start it?

Fuel could be old & stale. Or jetted so poorly that it's flooding itself out.

Or the spark could be incorrectly timed, with a sheared flywheel key.

try lean the bike over on the flywheel side untill fuel comes out the overflow then give it a few kicks 

Fuel could be old & stale. Or jetted so poorly that it's flooding itself out.

Or the spark could be incorrectly timed, with a sheared flywheel key.

These would be my starting points. Spark is no good at the wrong time. Check under ignition cover and see if timing plate has moved or woodruff key sheared. Or moisture and crud on pickup that will let you have a spark but not good enough to fire. Then drain old fuel and put fresh fuel in. These are the easy ones.

Was it running good and then just quit? Or have you ever seen it running?

The bike was running like a champ for about 6 hours then all of a sudden died and hasn't started since.

Just because you have spark from the plug when it's outside the cylinder, does not mean you have spark inside the cylinder under compression. Have you tried changing your plug?

Is the spark blue or yellow? Pour a little fuel in the  cylinder and see  if it starts.

I've tried 2 different plugs

Disconnect the kill switch and try to start it.

Had my '06 running fine in the woods,when we were done for the day I tried starting it to get back to the truck...would not start for anything! Thought I was out of fuel,but came to find out the next day I was not...still not starting....everything seemed to check out from a clean carb,fuel,compression,spark... Turns out the fuel line coming from the Gas tank was split...just not getting enough fuel.

try lean the bike over on the flywheel side untill fuel comes out the overflow then give it a few kicks

I tried it l, still no luck

I tried it l, still no luck

hmm so it was running well then died.. how did it die sure u got good compression

Have you tried the killswitch trick?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By neonmarine
      Hey guys, 
      I've used this forum as a "guest" for awhile now and I thought I'd share my build now that it's all coming together.  The primary purpose of this project is to help me train for roadracing my 2009 R1 at lower speeds as well as giving me a cheap alternative to racing the big bike. 
      Here's what she looked like when I picked it up from a local shop.  Paid $800 cash for the bike as you see it with 17' rims, FMF pipe, EBC 250mm front rotor and clip on handle bars.

Fits PERFECT!

Shake down run at the Herrin Compound last summer:

As she sits today:

• By 125 yamaha guy
      i bought my yz125 from a dealer and they said that the clutch was broken so i bought it and it worked fine it would run move and everything and then it started to act up and now only first gear works barely though. when you put it in first it acts like its bogging down but its not and when you go into gears 2-5 it wont move i dont know whats wrong with it im assuming the clutch is slipping or something if you know please leave me a comment 
    • By Randomneewb
      Hey guys, I have a 2003 cr125 I bought a couple weeks ago and I'm having a problem with it. The spark plugs die every about 15 minutes, with hotter plugs it will last about 45 minutes. I herd that if the timing is off it can over heat the plugs and burn out the the resistor. Is there any truth to that? The reason I thinks it's not fouling is because when the plug dies it gives no spark no matter how much you clean it, And it shorts out. 
    • By fiat2nv
      Hi all, First post here. I need some help.
      Ive just bought an 05 yz 125 for a good price but it needs some work. One of the forks has some pretty severe pitting of the chrome on the stanchion towards the bottom near the brake caliper mount.
      Ive found a pair of good condition forks from an 04 yz250 for a very good price, from the research ive done its seems that both the 04 & 05 forks are 48mm but are different, with the 05 fork regarded as being better than the 04, but not as good as the 06 + sss forks.
      Im looking for the cheapest way to get me riding, Will I be able to make the 04 forks work with my 05 triple clamps, brakes, wheel, axle, spacers etc? If not does anyone know what hardware id need to make it work?
      Finally, as a last resort, does anyone know if i could swap the stanchion from the 04 fork into my 05 forks?
      Thanks, Andrew
    • By idratherberiding
      I bought a 2006 YZ250, have ridden it 5 times.  It needs some tuning, but I am not sure I'm keeping it so don't want to spend much on it.
      Has fmf gnarly expansion chamber and turbine core silencer.
      I ride about 1000 feet above sea level.
      I'm going to clean the carb and check the jetting.  What is a good jetting for me?  85 main jet?
      Also check the reeds.  Is there a big difference between getting aftermarket reed cage and reeds or just getting a cheap aftermarket set of reeds that fit the stock cage ie.  Boyesen Power Reeds?
      The other things I'm going to do is permatex all the joints in the exhaust system and a compression test.   It was 220psi 5 rides ago so I'm guessing itll be fine.  Its bogging a bit but I'm thinking its carb and definitely exhaust joint related.  
      Let me know if I'm overlooking anything that could make the bike run crisper and more bottom end without throwing much money on parts