cornfed223

Michigan
where to ride in Michigan?

10 posts in this topic

Hi I would like to know where some good places to ride atvs in lower Michigan are?

i ride a Honda foreman and would have 4 to 6 other riders with me with some new riders as well, so i would like to know of some easier trails for the newer riders and some header ones for my self and some of my friends who have been riding longer.

any help would be great!

Hi I would like to know where some good places to ride atvs in lower Michigan are?

i ride a Honda foreman and would have 4 to 6 other riders with me with some new riders as well, so i would like to know of some easier trails for the newer riders and some header ones for my self and some of my friends who have been riding longer.

any help would be great!

The most southern trail system you can find would be the Leotta loop in lower mid-Michigan. the trails are scenic and a favorite among ATV riders.

1 person likes this

Michigan has some of the best trail systems going and well mapped,go to any forestry office and pick up 

a book mapping the whole trail system statewide,We used to go just North of GrandRapids to a town called Baldwin Mich

stay in some small cabins and use that as a base camp.Trails are wide and very sandy,not too many hills 

until you get up north by the ski slope areas.Spent many a good evening at The Club 37 you guessed it 

right on route 37

Michigan has some of the best trail systems going and well mapped,go to any forestry office and pick up 

a book mapping the whole trail system statewide,We used to go just North of GrandRapids to a town called Baldwin Mich

stay in some small cabins and use that as a base camp.Trails are wide and very sandy,not too many hills 

until you get up north by the ski slope areas.Spent many a good evening at The Club 37 you guessed it 

right on route 37

Their trails are very poorly mapped. I rode the Hatfield McCoy trails last year and they have their mapping system down. This is the St Helen trails. notice all the dash lines that are "poor dirt roads", they dont have names, or signs, almost impossible to tell where you are half the time on the map. Trail numbers aren't even on the map, makes it confusing when the trail splits to different areas. 

http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/St_Helen_Trail_and_Route.pdf

Now look at Hatfield McCoy trails. All the trails are labeled by numbers, difficulty, and on a GPS coordinate grid so you can always tell where you are with a handheld GPS

https://www.trailsheaven.com/HatfieldAndMcCoyTrails/media/maps/Pocahontas-User-September-2013.pdf?ext=.pdf

It's been a few years since we rode up there but back then they were well marked and fun if you liked to go very fast.

They are very wide due to the fact that most are snowmobile and atv trails lots of whoops and deep ones.

Haven't been to the Hatfield McCoy system since the innaguaral ride when it first opened many years ago.

I plan on going there this spring.

Bladwins trails are mapped well. We were just on Lincoln hills loop Saturday. Put it this way my wife rode the Lincoln hills loop by herself on her quad for the first time while my buddies and me rode the single track in our bikes and she had no problem. She isn't very good with directions. Never got lost once

Their trails are very poorly mapped. I rode the Hatfield McCoy trails last year and they have their mapping system down. This is the St Helen trails. notice all the dash lines that are "poor dirt roads", they dont have names, or signs, almost impossible to tell where you are half the time on the map. Trail numbers aren't even on the map, makes it confusing when the trail splits to different areas. 
http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/St_Helen_Trail_and_Route.pdf

Now look at Hatfield McCoy trails. All the trails are labeled by numbers, difficulty, and on a GPS coordinate grid so you can always tell where you are with a handheld GPS
https://www.trailsheaven.com/HatfieldAndMcCoyTrails/media/maps/Pocahontas-User-September-2013.pdf?ext=.pdf

Waaaa

Join a club and help them map it then.

Hatfield McCoy is a PRIVATELY OWNED trail system and reaps the benefits from ALL proceeds collected.

In Michigan, we have 3x the trails they do and also our clubs rely and State grants and volunteers to do all the work.