2014 San Felipe 250 - Latest news and rumors

Pre run update. Rode from start thru to Valle T and from what I call 'the new Borrego' to the finish so far in first two days down here this trip. Only have The Summit sections to do and will run that for first time this trip either Monday or Tuesday. First part of course is very fun until you hit the 20 miles of whoops into Morelia Jct. Then fun and fast all the way to Valle T from there with some backwards traffic come past Mikes just before Valle T, use caution. Whoops from New Borrego into San Felipe same as last year start but backwards and if you usually took the lines closer to the hwy becareful a landowner has bulldozed about 100ft section up for hwy towards mountains. Some of those lines near hwy won't work for ya'll... Also saw Kawi boys and some Class 30 teams running around course. Sorta dead this weekend, but tons of conflicting races this weekend likely ate into a otherwise great pre run weekend. PS: Still looking for a team that might need another rider. Lol...

I will call this the race that the silent majority missed as a Boycott out of respect for Kurt...

Besides jumping on the Boycott out of respect for Kurt bandwagon: My personal list of 20 excuses why I left before the race: Not many bike guys there to call it a real race(20 total) entry fee almost 2x what it was last year, hotel doubled the rate from last year, still sore from my head on with a Quad 3 weeks ago, weak on energy from Montezuma, didn't have ride yet, even if I got a ride did I want to push it and race and maybe get hurt worse, decided I'd rather spend my last $500 for the trip on something else back home. Went to Phx and looked at 2014 Husabergs and bought some sweet footpegs for the 5-hundy. I'm probably more fullfilled with those new pegs than staying to be a back up rider for Johnson or Oneal, lol... (but really thanks for the offers guys) PS: Had a small herd of 4 small to medium sized horses run right up to me as I rode on the course a mile after I left Kurts Memorial. Made me think. PS: Oh yeah and I almost had a head on over Mike Sky Ranch with a local trophy truckin down the course backwards in his Jeep Cherokee...

Edited by NewMexican
  • Like 3

It was unfortunate that the weather ruined the course and caused a last minute reroute. As unorganized as it was SCORE made fast decisions and was able to salvage the race. I was lucky enough to be the first one to Borego after the word was broadcast and the bikes were told to head south after valley T. 1x Ian Young came in 20 seconds ahead of the 4x with Max Eddy on board. After a long 3 hour delay while Roger marked the new section and permission was given to run the section north from Borego the race resumed again. Bikes left in 1 minute intervals and the time was to be adjusted at the finish. It would have been a good battle between the 1x and 4x had Colton not had a get off 1/2 mile into the new section. The 1x bike looked pretty banged up, bars bent, number plate ripped off and sounded like the exhaust was pinched. Congrats to the THR Kawi on a clean run. Sorry no photos, bonehead move leaving the camera at home. Lake bed was windy and dusty all day while borego and 3 poles was 70 degrees with little to no wind. Tech was awsome with 80 degree weather and no wind, helios buzzing low and the tecate girls is full force. Cant wait for next year! Viva baja

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a video of Colton's crash on Facebook. It's pretty obvious he was hauling ass into section he didn't know very well. Very lucky it wasn't worse. It looked pretty horrific.

Unable to Locate Video.

Up anywhere else??

• 2 weeks later...