Finally got the kdx200! Runs but i need a little help. Build thread

Hey guys finally got the 1986 kdx200 for $300. Ya shes beein sitting since 2004, but i cleaned up the plug, threw some 20:1 in the cylinder to lube it all up, and she went first kick. My first question is what to use to clean the gastank inside. Its definately beyond a soap and water job haha. Second, the exoansion chamber is an fmf gold series, but kind of rusted, thoughts on paint vs sanding and polishing? And also i dod a kick test when checking for spark with the plug out but it still sparked when i was holding down the killswitch. Is this normal on kicking it? *most important*--- the clutch doesnt really work at all but the bottom end oil has been drained when it was stored. If i put some 10w30 and let it sit do you think the plates will free up or they have to be replcaed? And last, anyone know how to quickly fix a slipping kickstart it only catches when i kick slowly. Thanks so muchhh! Ill post pics of my progress as i go! I got all the parts theyre just in a box.

It sat for 10years with no oil in the transmission?

I think it was like 6 maybe a little more but it looked empty to me. I put a half quart of 10w30 in the bottom end and the glass looked like it was full but im not convinced a half quart will do it, im not completely sure though. I learned that the plates can get stuck together from sitting but letting it sit and trying to engage it will break them free. Im not too concerned because the clutch plates are only $40 on ebay.

Edited by Braaap1997

I also made some progress on the mystery substance in the gas tank. Oxi clean, warm water, and a lot of shaking helped a lot, its still there but much thinner and i think a tank of gas will clear it all out. I just need a good fuel filter. If somebody knows what it is that would be great. To describe it i would say it looks like drips of brown paint hardened in random places inside the tanks and it smells awful, like i snorted bleach through a straw. It would just help if i know so then i know what kind of solvent will get rid of it. Heres a pic of the progress

image.jpg

Edited by Braaap1997

They are basically all the same. Just remember not to tighten the pressure plate bolts too much to snap them. They need to be bottomed out, just not cranked down.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/207164110/Kawasaki-KDX-200-89-a-94-Service-Manual

If I had a quarter for every one of those I had broken...well, id only have 50 cents, but back when it was my first time working on a big bikes clutch, I didnt know any better.

Ok havent gotten around to the clutch yet, but basically it needs a new killswitch. Any tips on woring a new one? I rewired the old one because the wire came out but it has no spark like the switch is on all the time. Take it apart, it has spark, touch the wires together, it kills it so i know the wires work. any tricks for the new one or its just a simple connect and mount it to the bars

ok my broyher had a generic killswitch laying around so i threw him $10 and got it. i used a toggle seitch and it worked fine as a killswitch so my assumption is that just crimping and heatshrinking the new one on will work fine. now its all there except painting the bars. i ride a lot in the woods so its gotta be some tough paint. any thoughts? a couple of my ideas were spray on bedliner, engine paint, paint and primer in one, industrial paint,.... thanks

ok crimped and heatshrinked the new killswitch and it works beautifully. bit the bullet and painted the bars in bedliner. used the extra paint i had laying around to do the rusty spots on the frame. got a little ocd and almost did the entire frame without disassembling it. frame sparkes like new now! still working on the plastics before i can test run it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finished the gas tank last night. It will all be together when my exhaust pipes are repainted (very rusty at the bottom and lost its shine. Im going to do gloss black rustoleum on the fmf header and stock muffler.), and the new throttle cable comes this week. Between things i've had laying around what ive had to pay for, im only into it for about $325, but ill have to see after the throttle cable comes and its all together wether or not anything else must be done.

image.jpg

Ok still havent gotten the chance to ride it due to the throttle cable im waiting on. Clutch hasnt been freed up yet, however riding should free it up after a while. Put her all together now that im done just for looks. Got a new headlight and tal light bulb all wired, crimped, and heatshrinked only problem is the timer/distance/hour meter might not work due to what looks like water damage to the right screen. I put in batteries but does anyone know if the bike has to be on for that meter to work? Thanks

image.jpg