Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed trailer sizing?

Like alot of you guys me and my buddy's ride alot. We have been just using pickups but its getting old. No room to keep tool and gear dry and locked up as well.

I am looking to buy a trailer to tow behind a half ton. My father owns a 16ft car enclosed car hauler that I could use but I don't see the need for that big of trailer. Plus he needs it one a month for work so I would need to find wheel chokes that could be removed.

I am thinking either buy a 14 or 16 footer of my own or a smaller like 6x10.

I haven't done enough towing in my life to check mileage much. Will the 6x10 get that much better mileage than a larger 14-16? It will be loaded with maybe 3 bikes and gear.

Any advice on what to buy?

• Like 1

14x7 tandem is a good size. I have a 12x6 that I got a good deal on from my father in law. Would like to have that extra foot and ability to haul more.

Edited by mvanbogart

I will say this, I've had a 6x12- 7x14 & 8 x18 they are never big enough, you always find more to haul with you. The just in case items.

Worst mistake I ever made was lettering the trailer! It made it a target for thieves.

IMHO keep it plain outside.

6x10 v nose isn't bad on mileage, 7x14 v nose won't be either. But you need to figure out just what you want inside. Then size 2' longer.

I now have just one bike, but I'm looking at a second. Will probably get just a 5 x8 or 5 x10.

• Like 1

I will say this, I've had a 6x12- 7x14 & 8 x18 they are never big enough, you always find more to haul with you. The just in case items.

THIS! 

I have a 16*8.5 and after a couple years with this trailer (which is a pretty big trailer) I wish it was a 20', I don't WANT to tow a 20'er but the extra 4' would be really nice to have on long haul bike trips.

Worst mistake I ever made was lettering the trailer! It made it a target for thieves.

IMHO keep it plain outside.

Yup, toy Haulers and race numbers, fox sticker etc. will attract thieves like flys to sh....dead fish.

• Like 2

Like alot of you guys me and my buddy's ride alot. We have been just using pickups but its getting old. No room to keep tool and gear dry and locked up as well.

I am looking to buy a trailer to tow behind a half ton. My father owns a 16ft car enclosed car hauler that I could use but I don't see the need for that big of trailer. Plus he needs it one a month for work so I would need to find wheel chokes that could be removed.

I am thinking either buy a 14 or 16 footer of my own or a smaller like 6x10.

I haven't done enough towing in my life to check mileage much. Will the 6x10 get that much better mileage than a larger 14-16? It will be loaded with maybe 3 bikes and gear.

Any advice on what to buy?

I have a 6 X 10 and a 7 X 16. I can get two CR250s in the 6 X 10 easy enough but a third bike would be tough to get in there. If you think you'll be hauling 3 bikes on a regular basis, buy a 7' wide trailer. I'd also recommend buying one at least 12' long. You'll find use for the extra length.

I bought a 6x12 v nose for a great deal, couldn't pass it up.

My wife and I use it as home on a lot of weekends and have decked it out accordingly. Every day I wish I held out and went bigger. Gas mileage isn't good with a half ton 5.4. My buddy has a 7x20 that I've towed with my truck. The gas mileage was better. The ease of towing is much more dependant on wind and road conditions than the size imo. Any size enclosed is like a kite behind your truck.

If you're not camping out of it, you don't need a large trailer. The larger trailers are more of a pain when traveling, especially parking lots. But if you plan on setting up base camp on multi day rides or races, the larger the better.

I like my 6x12 with the V-Nose, but now I am wishing I held out for a larger car trailer due to me now having a drag car and long trips with my buddies. For some reason it ALWAYS rains when we go on long weekend rides, so all our gear gets soaked from the open trailer we use and the bed of a truck. It never fails, maybe it's just our luck? lol 

I like my 6x12 with the V-Nose, but now I am wishing I held out for a larger car trailer due to me now having a drag car and long trips with my buddies. For some reason it ALWAYS rains when we go on long weekend rides, so all our gear gets soaked from the open trailer we use and the bed of a truck. It never fails, maybe it's just our luck? lol

I'll buy your v- nose so you can upgrade lol

I have a 16x8.5. I wanted a longer trailer but the 16' was at the very top of my limit at the time. I will use it for a couple years more then sell it and get the 20'. It tows well with my 1/2t. With my diesel 1t I didn't even feel it. I wouldn't go any smaller. Even for hauling one sled or quad it is nice. I can walk around the machine and have lots of room still. I can also haul 3 mountain sleds or a couple quads and dirt bikes. I only wish I had the 20 foot so I would have room for a bench and tool box plus all my gear.