Sign in to follow this  

2014 SSR 125 Manual Tranny?

I am getting my first Pit Bike and I have heard good and bad about the SSR 125. I want a reliable Pit Bike that will last. I will be trail riding and enduro. No motocross tracks or freestyle. I am 41 so none of that, my insurance sucks :(... I am also 6' and 230lbs.

Is the 2014 SSR 125 a good bike to ride trails and enduro with? It fits my budget. I have looked for Hondas and Kawas, but I want something new. Are thier any mods that I need to do? I know to change the oil immediately.

Thanks for any help

I have one and their pretty good. I am 5 10. They are pretty zippy bikes stock but you might get bored of it and it might be too small for you for serious riding. Have you ever ridden before?

I have an SSR 125cc... model A056, made for California smog crud.   Its plenty fast, the gearing is a bit close, you will shift from 1st to 4th in like 100 feet,  It pulls nice in all the gears, but on steep hill climbs, it needs to be in second or first gear, or the power drops off before you reach the top of the hill.   They jump straight, but are horrible in deep sand, stay out of deep sand is my advice.  I am about 5-7" tall, and weight about 170, and have been racing or riding since 1971, I am 67.   I had to soften up the rear spring at first, until the spring broke in, then I had to turn it in tighter, (more force), to support my weight. You will need to turn in the spring adjuster a full 2 turns, maybe more, or buy a stronger spring, or completely different rear shock, they are reasonably inexpensive.  The seat height and bar height you will love, its about standard as big bikes.   Riding with smaller wheels will take some getting use to.   I want to put a 17 inch on front and 14 inch on rear later.   You can buy models with those size tires, but they are not for California. (darn). As with all new bikes change the oils, all of them, after 3 hours of running time. The oils it comes with suck, even the brake fluid is not right, mine bled out black, as did the engine oil. (not good).  They handle well, and are tons of fun, you will pull wheelies now and then too.  Put at least a 22 mm carb on it, aftermarket air cleaner, new plug, and do some intake manifold matching and widening, also richen up the AIR PILOT screw,(3/4 of a turn out ) located on the bottom of the carb bowl, they sell them way too lean for smog reasons.  Front "inverted forks" take between 210-220 CCs of 20 wt fork oil, do not go thinner like I did, use 20wt.  I put 10-40 wt synthetic oil in the engine, and tech people did not find anything wrong with this, and you will hear all sorts of stuff about not using synthetics,  I figure if regular petroleum based oils are good, then synthetics are even better, and will have less resistance which increases rpm some.

As with all new bikes, tighten everything, or check every nut and bolt, spoke and whatever.  I found the head crown nut, the nut that adjusts the tightness of steering stem was way too loose, tighten it one full turn at least, until bar swing resistance is felt.

good luck

Gary