23 year old male, beginner first bike?

Hi Guys,

I have read through many threads and I am getting a general idea of what I want but I am still undecided.  A few facts about me:

I am a 23 year old male from N.Ireland, 5ft 10, 180lbs reasonable fitness, I have previous experience on quads and a bit on road bikes, nothing official but i know how to ride, use a clutch etc.... mind you not great, I pick these things up pretty easily though, I have decent hand skils I am a pilot by profession.

I am looking for my first dirtbike, and because of living in N.Ireland I cant just go trail blazing because its all owned by someone so I will be restricted to my own private land which is just a few farm fields nothing exciting and a local mx track. Now i do intend to get the permission from agencies to use their land so I am looking for a bike that will do a bit of trail but still be strong on a mx track.  Its mainly for fun but I tend to get into these sorts of things so it might get more serious down the line.

Money wise I have about £2000 to spend although there isn't a huge amount of selection in this country.  Also from a maintenance point of view id like to do it myself which makes me think 2 stroke but I hear good things about 4 stroke also. Two completely different engines i know but which one would suit me best?

One final thing, I don't really have the money to upgrade in a year or two so something with a bit more power than i need right now as a beginner is probably a good idea I will just take it easy at the beginning..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

B

Edited by fifty_seven

Depends on how much of a beginner you are, maybe a 125cc, however i think that you would probably be wanting more power after a bit so go for 230 or 250. I am a 4 stroke guy and have been since i was given my first 4 stroke (after having two 2 stokes before this) bike by my dad at age 11. I am fan of Jap bikes  and believe they are value for money which is what you are looking for.So any of the big four jap bikes in the cc mentioned i think would suite you fine. Will you be riding it at all on the road? So with this question comes will you be licensing it? Obviously if you will then you need a bike with lights, indicators etc. Maybe a Honda CRF 230 or something similar for the money you are spending.

Thanks, for the advice, I initially considered an enduro bike for the road as well as dirt.  There is a KTM EXC 300 for sale close to me for reasonable money but with MOT and tax and insurance I decided against it.  There is a good variety of 250 2T as well, CR, SX, RM, KX all good deals and then there are some decent 250 CRF's too.  All about the same money I guess its just a matter of 2 or 4 stroke.  What is the maintenance and costs like with the 4 stroke in your opinion?

Here's a link to a place that is selling a few bikes, opinions and advice very appreciated:

http://www.muckandfun.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=36

Edited by fifty_seven

I would go for a 250 2 stroke mx bike, the 300 exc is not suited to a motocross track :)

250 2T

250 4t

Ok 250 2T seems like the one to have and to be honest thats where I was leaning, now tell me which one is the best, between KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki, no yamaha's in my area but i will keep looking. i am leaning towards the KTM but i don't know why i do like orange :D although id happy to ride any...

Basically on here and on any bike forum you will hear from guys who love 2 Smokers and guys who love 4 Strokers. The question you have to really ask yourself if what type of riding are you going to do majority of the time. 4 Stroke power is more manageable and user friendly as its making power every other stroke of the piston, 2 stroke is kinda the opposite to that and the power delivery is more hard, fast and explosive. If you are going to ride more trails and farmland then i would say definitely a 4 Stroke. If you plan to ride track a lot then maybe a 2 Stroke. Saying this, there is a lot of 4 strokes on the track these days.

When it comes to maintenance the 2 stroke has a small advantage because the 4 stroke requires more frequent maintenance but it is a matter of new filters and change oil basically.

Looking at the bikes for sale in that link you put up i would personally go for the Kawasaki KXF250 (4 Stroke). I am Kawa guy  and love 4 Strokes though. Let us know what you go for.

If ya here never ridden a bike then get a xr250 it will go for ever, easy maintenance and plenty of fun, easy to ride, guess it's up to you but I think a new rider would be happy with a xr250

If ya here never ridden a bike then get a xr250 it will go for ever, easy maintenance and plenty of fun, easy to ride, guess it's up to you but I think a new rider would be happy with a xr2

If you can find an XR 250 it is a bullet proof bike for sure.

Ouch! An XR250? Really? Talk about an underpowered dinosaur. To put in UK terms, comparing an XR250 to a KX,YZ, whatever MX class 250 is like comparing a Mini to a Bentley. You really want to go there?  

If you want to hit up an MX track you need an MX bike. Enduro bikes don't handle well enough on a track to be safe. Conversely, MX bikes work OK off road with the suspension clickers backed off. Not great, mind you but fun and decent enough.

Edited by sandlvr69

After looking at your link, OUCH again!! Those prices would be high around here in USD, not pounds!

No matter, you will pay what you must pay. Starting out as an experienced street rider, for an offroad & MX combination I'd have to recommend one of the 250 four stroke MX bikes. You'll feel more comfortable, faster and be riding smoother, sooner. You'll spend a bit more keeping it running well than a 2stroke- possibly.

They are all priced accordingly. I happen to be a CRF fanatic.

Edited by sandlvr69

After looking at your link, OUCH again!! Those prices would be high around here in USD, not pounds!

No matter, you will pay what you must pay. Starting out as an experienced street rider, for an offroad & MX combination I'd have to recommend one of the 250 four stroke MX bikes. You'll feel more comfortable, faster and be riding smoother, sooner. You'll spend a bit more keeping it running well than a 2stroke- possibly.

They are all priced accordingly. I happen to be a CRF fanatic.

+1 on a CRF.  Although the two strokes are a little lighter and easier to throw around, I wouldn't recommend a 2T big to someone without 2T experience.  Two strokes are a little "interesting" with their powerband and the four stroke is much more controllable.  Plus engine braking helps new riders build confidence

As far as maintenance, I have found they all average out over time.  Four strokes give you many more hours before needing major work, but when its time, be prepared to shell out some cash.  Two strokes nickel and dime you over their life with more piston and ring replacements.  But in the end, and this is just me, I have found they are pretty close to the same cost as far as the engine.  Four strokes also tend to eat sprockets and stretch chains a little more.

Pick up a rm250 or yz250 ... Everyone always says good things about them!! I have a rm85 and I love it.. So I'm sure the 250 is just as good or better!