Sign in to follow this  

S model best gearing

Finnaly my DRZ goes like before, but i m feeling that i need to change something becouse gears are very short and high rpms. Now i got front sprocket 13t, rear 48t. I m thinking to put 14t in front or should i get 15t? I riding about 60% offroad and 40% on road only in city

Edited by DRZ_

Finnaly my DRZ goes like before, but i m feeling that i need to change something becouse gears are very short and high rpms. Now i got front sprocket 13t, rear 48t. I m thinking to put 14t in front or should i get 15t? I riding about 60% offroad and 40% on road

15-47 is a pretty good compromise, but it favors dirt. Highway or freeway would be better with 44 on the rear. Get steel regardless......it'll last way longer.  ;)

15/'44 works the best imo,  i tried a few different combos,  but stock works the best for true 50/50 type riding.

can climb anything out there and still hit 95+ mph.

• Like 1

With 15t front i still can make wheelies ? Is there different between 13t and 14t sprockets ? 

I think 15/44 not the best combo for me becouse i living in small city and there is no space for 95mph

With 15t front i still can make wheelies ? Is there different between 13t and 14t sprockets ? 

I think 15/44 not the best combo for me becouse i living in small city and there is no space for 95mph

You can most definately wheelie with a 15/44 gearing combo,  even with a stock bike.   

you can try 14/44 then,  will rev high at 70mph but will be much easier to wheelie,  if that is what you are after.

Changing 1 tooth in the front is like changing 3 in the back. 

Try a 14/48 combo, it should be good for street and dirt. 

• Like 1

Changing 1 tooth in the front is like changing 3 in the back. 

Try a 14/48 combo, it should be good for street and dirt. 

Yeh, that's actually the way to go since he already has the 48.......

15-47 is a pretty good compromise, but it favors dirt. Highway or freeway would be better with 44 on the rear. Get steel regardless......it'll last way longer.  ;)

+1 

15/47 is a great setup for 50/50. tight woods still work like this. 

Today I read about a guy running 14/38 tearing a couple of teeth off his CS sprocket. It's a wonder he didn't blow his gears up.

I would say 15/48. I used to run 14/44 when I did just in town and off road. Still left some for speed bursts but worked on trails

Yes, sorry, my math never was very good :)

It's easier and cheaper to change out the front cog..I would just try the 14t first and see how that works for you...

It's easier and cheaper to change out the front cog..I would just try the 14t first and see how that works for you...

yup, i  m thinking the same first i m gonna try 14t and i hope first gears will be little bit longer than now

Edited by DRZ_

Today I read about a guy running 14/38 tearing a couple of teeth off his CS sprocket. It's a wonder he didn't blow his gears up.

why would that combination hurt anything unless the chain was very very loose and doubled up once going through ? 

(i have 15/39 and occasionally 14/39 on mine, aside the chain slider wears - no issues)

I wondering what exacly does front sprocket, now i have 13t it gives more power at low revs so 14,15t gives more power at higher revs and thats all ? 

Edited by DRZ_