Baja Designs regulator/rectifier issues......Need some help

Hello All

I recently installed a Baja Designs regulator/rectifier Model 12-2004 and wired it up according to the paperwork. However it doesnt seem to be working properly? I wired up only the blinkers on the DC circuit coming off the regulator/rectifier. The headlight and tailight are running off the original AC system.

I wired it all up and it seemed to work fine at first but.........I think my blinkers were just running off the battery at the time? Now that the battery is dead my blinkers don't work.

I am semi technical when it comes to wiring but I am stumped here. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

What's the measured voltage coming out of the regulator and is it ac or dc?

Ride on

Brewster

What's the measured voltage coming out of the regulator and is it ac or dc?

Ride on

Brewster

It is AC going in from the stator (two yellow wires) and 12 volts DC coming out. I metered it when I first hooked everything up and had 12 vdc coming out of the rectifier. That is going to the battery and the accessories (blinkers) are connected to the battery +/- . I still have 12 vdc coming out of the rectifier but the battery never did charge. I have tried two different batteries with the same result. It seems to be killing the battery rather than charging it?

Edited by 380tom

The only way to test if a battery is charged or not is when it is under full load. Also in your charging circuit positive lead to the positive terminal of your battery. Negative lead to negative terminal. What is controlling the current through the battery? You may be frying the batteries with two much current or reverse terminations. Also check polarities of your led's.

The only way to test if a battery is charged or not is when it is under full load. Also in your charging circuit positive lead to the positive terminal of your battery. Negative lead to negative terminal. What is controlling the current through the battery? You may be frying the batteries with two much current or reverse terminations. Also check polarities of your led's.

I am charging the battery on a battery charger fully then installing I into my bike. After a day of riding it is dead.

It is a Baja Designs regulator/rectifier which I believe has a charge control built into it as to not over charge.

It is AC going in from the stator (two yellow wires) and 12 volts DC coming out. I metered it when I first hooked everything up and had 12 vdc coming out of the rectifier. That is going to the battery and the accessories (blinkers) are connected to the battery +/- . I still have 12 vdc coming out of the rectifier but the battery never did charge. I have tried two different batteries with the same result. It seems to be killing the battery rather than charging it?

Then the engine start the voltage at DC out up too 13,7-14V. 12V it's mean that regulator damaged or incorrect installed. Thats why you are killing the battery and blinkers don't work.

So you need to add a resistor in series with the battery to have a voltage drop before the battery. Do you know the total wattage output of your stator/ rectifier? With that you can calculate your full load current. So you can get the right size fuses and correct wattage resistors. Power(watts) = E x I. Or P = I^2 x R. V = I x R. Some kind of regulator might be good to take the battery out of the circuit when it's fully charged.

So you need to add a resistor in series with the battery to have a voltage drop before the battery. Do you know the total wattage output of your stator/ rectifier? With that you can calculate your full load current. So you can get the right size fuses and correct wattage resistors. Power(watts) = E x I. Or P = I^2 x R. V = I x R. Some kind of regulator might be good to take the battery out of the circuit when it's fully charged.

I am using the Baja Designs 12-2004 Regulator/Rectifier http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=122004 I wouldnt think I should have to add and resistors would I??

Regulator/rectifier converts the ac voltage produced from your stator into a rectified dc voltage. Call Baja designs and discuss your product expectations with them... Maybe they can sugest a solution.

Regulator/rectifier converts the ac voltage produced from your stator into a rectified dc voltage. Call Baja designs and discuss your product expectations with them... Maybe they can sugest a solution.

I am currently in discussions with their tech support via email back and forth. So far he is not finding anything wrong with the way I wired it up.

We shall see.....

Try to measure DC voltage coming out of the regulator without battery (with battery removed), and you will understand what went wrong.

What type of bike? Do you still have the AC from the stator going out the headlights also? If you have only one output it must either stay AC or get rectified to DC it can do both.

What type of bike? Do you still have the AC from the stator going out the headlights also? If you have only one output it must either stay AC or get rectified to DC it can do both.

Everything is running off the DC circuit. Headlight, taillight, blinkers. I left my meter at a job site last week so I'll need to go get it and take some voltage measurements.

So I talked to BD tech support today and they are going to send me a new reg/rec. After several emails back and forth and some troubleshooting they determind that the reg/rec was bad. Hopefully will get the new one sooner than later and all will be good???

So I got the new reg/rec in the mail (next day) very impressed with the customer service. Installed the new reg/rec and went for about a 30 minute ride and the battery went from 12.45vdc to 12.53vdc I made sure to run the high beams the whole time and use my blinkers as much as possible. Even hit the horn when i wasnt around any other drivers/riders. 

Went for another ride today doing the same thing and so far so good. Battery is staying around 12.5vdc with engine off after a ride. My old reg/rec would drain the battery down at least a volt after a 20 minute ride and completely dead after a half day of riding.