Sign in to follow this  

most protective kidney belt?

hmmmmm.....most I have seen don't wear kidney belts anymore. Most bikes now have ample suspensions that mean you don't really need em?

Joe

• Like 1

hmmmmm.....most I have seen don't wear kidney belts anymore. Most bikes now have ample suspensions that mean you don't really need em?

Joe

I agree with ya.  Kidney belts are from a bygone era.  Studies have shown they don't really provide much protection anyway, same as back belts. 

PIEPLATENDUCTAPE--a lot of woods racing pros in my districts never even wear chest protectors.  It's just more weight and less agility, and they never crash or they wouldn't be pros.  I wear a chest protector, but I wonder sometimes if it's necessary.  Then I'll hit a tree find that I still need one lol.  But one that goes all the way down your spine is definitely not necessary

I agree with ya. Kidney belts are from a bygone era. Studies have shown they don't really provide much protection anyway, same as back belts.

PIEPLATENDUCTAPE--a lot of woods racing pros in my districts never even wear chest protectors. It's just more weight and less agility, and they never crash or they wouldn't be pros. I wear a chest protector, but I wonder sometimes if it's necessary. Then I'll hit a tree find that I still need one lol. But one that goes all the way down your spine is definitely not necessary

Lmbo, last year I was debating not wearing my c/p.

I rounded a corner and there was a branch broken off sticking straight out towards me, before I could get stopped, I was speared off my bike! I was glad I wore it! I ended up with bruised and cut shoulder but could have been worse.

• Like 1

Lmbo, last year I was debating not wearing my c/p.

I rounded a corner and there was a branch broken off sticking straight out towards me, before I could get stopped, I was speared off my bike! I was glad I wore it! I ended up with bruised and cut shoulder but could have been worse.

Friend of mine did NOT wear his chest protector and the same thing happened to him.....only he received a lacerated kidney and a few days in the hospital.

Joe

• Like 1

I was wondering about this too. I was born with only 1 kidney and its larger in size making it even more vulnerable. I'm not even supposed to ride because clearly its a hazard and I'm pretty &%$#@!ed if I ever damage it, but that hasn't really stopped me yet.

Any ideas on kidney protection?

I'm thinking one of these would work for you. I'll be picking one up this summer when it's too warm to wear the Ballistic Jacket I'm wearing now.

post-345078-0-01390600-1392447682.jpg

Body Armor - <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4609/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4609' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>Fox</a> Full Armor Jacket.jpg

Edited by Pittbull

I'm thinking one of these would work for you. I'll be picking one up this summer when it's too warm to wear the Ballistic Jacket I'm wearing now.

post-345078-0-01390600-1392447682.jpg

Thats sweet, I was looking at something similar form leatt but it doesn't have that much hardcore padding. Definitely gotta do something if I wanna keep riding its not worth dying over...but also not worth quitting riding. :)

Kidney belts are supposed to keep your kidneys from bouncing all over, not provide protection to the area.  I've been rocking the Troylee BP Under my jersey, I was worried about not having hard plastic but I ate shit bad with just this on & was shocked at home protection I had, so I don't even wear hard plastic anymore

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Lee-Designs-Undergarment-Motorcycle/dp/B005LLI6W2

This is the style that I've found most supporting.

That one looks well padded, may have to order one. 

I guess I should have mentioned the type of chest protector Im using. Its the new Leatt 5.5 HD pro, with the side protectors. Love it, but its just a little short for a 6' tall rider. I have a lot of spine sticking out below the bottom of the protector, so the plan is to find a good kidney belt to cover the area, or maybe just try again with another chest protector that has a longer spine guard on the back. But I really like the 5.5 with the wrap around sides. This may be one of those cases where I attach a section from an old protector to the new one somehow to fill that area in a little better. Cheesy I know. Ill try the belt first 

• Like 1

Kidney belts are supposed to keep your kidneys from bouncing all over, not provide protection to the area.  I've been rocking the Troylee BP Under my jersey, I was worried about not having hard plastic but I ate shit bad with just this on & was shocked at home protection I had, so I don't even wear hard plastic anymore

That is the point I was going to make as well until I got side tracked. For now I use the basic Fox kidney belt and it works just fine. There have been a few times where I gone out riding without it must admit it feels strange not having that support. I think the addition of armor to the kidney belts over the last few years is a nice addition but not what they were originally designed for. 

Thank you, I was wondering when someone was going to say something.  These belts help your insides stay in place, specially when you're bouncing all over hell's creation.  If not, you could actually hurt yourself internally while riding. Not only does the belt give the rider lower back support, but it also keeps your kidney's warm which is another factor to consider if you ride in the cold. New kidney belts now have more padding around the rear to protect your kidney's from a fall.  But kidney belts have always been for keeping your insides in place.  Look at weight lifters.  If they didn't use one, bet they would split their guts.  I've never ridden without one.  As a matter of fact, when I got back into riding recently, I came across my old kidney belt, an old late 70's early 80's black N yellow thin Gold Belt? It's what I used back then when I was a slim 20 year old.  Who remembers those and still has it?

• Like 1

Thank you, I was wondering when someone was going to say something.  These belts help your insides stay in place, specially when you're bouncing all over hell's creation.  If not, you could actually hurt yourself internally while riding. Not only does the belt give the rider lower back support, but it also keeps your kidney's warm which is another factor to consider if you ride in the cold. New kidney belts now have more padding around the rear to protect your kidney's from a fall.  But kidney belts have always been for keeping your insides in place.  Look at weight lifters.  If they didn't use one, bet they would split their guts.  I've never ridden without one.  As a matter of fact, when I got back into riding recently, I came across my old kidney belt, an old late 70's early 80's black N yellow thin Gold Belt? It's what I used back then when I was a slim 20 year old.  Who remembers those and still has it?

:lol: I've got mine too, and no damn way it's going around my waist anymore either.

That is the point I was going to make as well until I got side tracked. For now I use the basic Fox kidney belt and it works just fine. There have been a few times where I gone out riding without it must admit it feels strange not having that support. I think the addition of armor to the kidney belts over the last few years is a nice addition but not what they were originally designed for. 

I feel like I have to pee all the time if I don't wear the kidney belt when riding.

• Like 1

Like Sabeen and YZ-490 Devil said-support area just below the ribs and tighten up the sides and abdomen to hold internals in place and keep them from bouncing around as much.  I have had kidney pain at times without a belt but not with one. Any protection given in the area is just an additional benefit, but I have seen belts with added spine protection but not ridden with one.

When you put that thing on, usually the belt connects in front via velcro [boy, I wished I had invented that stuff]  there are aLSO straps on either side. Disconnect the side straps and just put around waist and take up all the slack or maybe just a hair tighter, THEN attach each side strap. It is the side strap that really does all the work for the kidneys.   

Edited by bigbore2