Sign in to follow this  

How can I start hare scramble racing?

I would really like to and I want to know how I can. I would also like to know how much it would cost

There are a lot of series around that are not AMA,no card needed.Just google up a series close to you and the site will have all that info.Then save up,show up,suit up and rev up!

• Like 2

I really want to start racing and I'm a good rider. I need to know how much it will cost me and all that stuff. Please help.

Can you be a little more specific?  Do you have gear already?  Is your bike ready?  Transport?

Edited by rpt50

(Correct me if I'm wrong) I think I would do the series because it's less expensive and I don't need a card but how and were do I sign up and I don't know what class I'd be in

I found this website. http://vchss.org/vchss_flag_intro.htm Would I just find my class show up and pay the entry fee and race?

VCHSS requires an AMA card, If you don't want to pay for a card you can race VXCS, not as good of a series but its fine as a beginner, I'll be at the opening round.. Edited by nholden98
  • Like 1

Usually if you just show up with a bike that can pass the sound check, you can get everything else you need at the race.  They'll tell you if you need AMA or NETRA, or whatever.

You could always go to the first one without expecting to ride and you'll get a feel for how it all works too.

• Like 1

Usually if you just show up with a bike that can pass the sound check, you can get everything else you need at the race. They'll tell you if you need AMA or NETRA, or whatever.

You could always go to the first one without expecting to ride and you'll get a feel for how it all works too.

+1, go scout out an event and figure out what you need to race, and if you want to, get it all done ahead of time so that at the next race, you just have to roll in, pay and race.
  • Like 1

You need the gear, a bike, a method to get to the track. You should have health insurance that covers racing. You need to pay for maintenance. You need to pay for practice days. Meals. Accomodations and on and on and on.

Some guys can do this for a few thousand a year (self repairs, not crashing, not including bike purchases) to guys that spend tens upon tens of thousands every year.

Dirt bike racing is not cheap.

• Like 1

VCHSS requires an AMA card, If you don't want to pay for a card you can race VXCS, not as good of a series but its fine as a beginner, I'll be at the opening round..

What are the classes for the VXCS and I have a crf150f and do you think if I geared it right I could use that?

What are the classes for the VXCS and I have a crf150f and do you think if I geared it right I could use that?

Sure! The classes are the same as VCHSS, how old are you? That will determine if you can run a youth class or not. If you're above the youth class age, you can either race 4 stroke C or 200C. The 150f will be at a slight disadvantage to the other bikes being that they're mostly some sort of race bike. But just go out and have fun, if you really enjoy this racing and want to pursue it, then move up to a bike that is set up properly for it. Like I said, go to the first round this march without racing, explore a bit and determine what you need to race, you can even get your number assigned to you so you can get them on your plates the next race instead of using the cheap temporary numbers they give you. It just makes the first race day so much more relaxed. Also, talk to some of the officials there, they are certainly more knowledgeable about the series than I am and can answer just about any of the questions you have. I would highly recommend a hydration system, 2 hours is a long time without water, and at these races, I'd say tear-offs are a must. I'm #23L, usually wearing some bright blue one industries gear on a yz125. Edited by nholden98

Sure! The classes are the same as VCHSS, how old are you? That will determine if you can run a youth class or not. If you're above the youth class age, you can either race 4 stroke C or 200C. The 150f will be at a slight disadvantage to the other bikes being that they're mostly some sort of race bike. But just go out and have fun, if you really enjoy this racing and want to pursue it, then move up to a bike that is set up properly for it. Like I said, go to the first round this march without racing, explore a bit and determine what you need to race, you can even get your number assigned to you so you can get them on your plates the next race instead of using the cheap temporary numbers they give you. It just makes the first race day so much more relaxed. Also, talk to some of the officials there, they are certainly more knowledgeable about the series than I am and can answer just about any of the questions you have. I would highly recommend a hydration system, 2 hours is a long time without water, and at these races, I'd say tear-offs are a must. I'm #23L, usually wearing some bright blue one industries gear on a yz125.

I am 14 Turing 15 in May and this would be my first real race but I've raced with my friends on the trails and I'm pretty good

I am 14 Turing 15 in May and this would be my first real race but I've raced with my friends on the trails and I'm pretty good

I'd go for 200C, it's what class I'm in and its mostly 125's and a couple 200's. Just get out there, don't push yourself too hard, and have fun. Watch some helmet cams of the races to get a feel for how they do the starts and such, if I were you I would hang back on the starts, some of the faster guys hate when you hold them up.

• Like 1