08 450r airbox

Where can I get a longer bolt to mount my air filter. It just seems very difficult to get the short stock bolt lined up to catch and thread in.  This must have been designed by someone who never had to actually replace the filter.  And I am not being a dumbass here either, IMO.  A longer bolt would make it simple to line up and thread in. Looking for a finger screw bolt just like the stock type but longer.

Where can I get a longer bolt to mount my air filter. It just seems very difficult to get the short stock bolt lined up to catch and thread in. This must have been designed by someone who never had to actually replace the filter. And I am not being a dumbass here either, IMO. A longer bolt would make it simple to line up and thread in. Looking for a finger screw bolt just like the stock type but longer.

A longer bolt would hit that fender when trying to remove.. I look at the cage and where the cage has to go to fit right then roll the filter in the air box then I press the cage against the air box tight right where it lines up perfect and can't wiggle side to side then I push the bolt in, if it goes all the way down then obv your not on the nut. Try it again and if it sticks out some it's either lined up right or right beside where it needs to be and screws right in. It was hard for me before I started lining the cage up and pushing it tight with the box into its position where it can't wiggle side to side. Hope this helps Edited by Diggla117

For me, the same length hex key or regular old 8mm head bolt works better. That stupid wing nut thing is a pain in the ass. You could make a bolt with a piece of 6mm all thread.

A longer bolt with the very end threads ground off for about 10mm or so, so you could positively feel its through the hole first would be a decent idea too.

I feel better I am not the only one who has trouble with that. I took it to the one of the LBS's and the guy there showed me how to do it. This was a Yamaha shop by the way, but the service manager guy has 3 Honda 450X's. It is a technique thing as the rubber grommet piece need to fitted on the airbox first by pushing the filter and plastic filter frame in a little bit. Once that is fitted, then the bolt is easy.  Here I am talking like I know how to do it and I just watched.  But I am going to put myself in the dumbass category anyway as I was blowing before i knew the right way.  By the way I removed the backfire screen and don't know if that makes it easier to install or harder. I would guess easier. Thanks guys for being there. 

Yeah , the design of the air cleaner fitment is atrocious .