Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike helmet fitment question (pictures included)

Hello All,

So I just received my first off road helmet.  I purchased a Fox V2 given helmet online.  I would have gone to try something on but the nearest shop with lots to choose from is 2.5 hours away. 

Anyway, It seems to fit alright.  It is giving me mighty tight chipmunk cheeks but other than that seems to fit (from a comfort standpoint) well but mighty tight.

My only real concern is how close my chin and nose come to the face guard part of the helmet.  Since I have never owned one before I was wondering if this is normal with off road helmets for motorcycles.  I have included pics to show you what I mean.

I am also a little concerned about the goggles a got fitting the helmet weird.  Again, they are comfortable but jut out farther than I had expected. Dirtbike

Please let me know if these picks look normal to y'all.  Thank you for the assistance! 

:I am sorry the uploader is not working for me, here are links to the pics:

http://i.imgur.com/D0odoft.jpg 

http://i.imgur.com/AcqXId0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cyOmEu8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ieOP8yp.jpg

On a secondary note, these Fox Airspc goggles seem to really impair my peripheral vision.  Is this normal with all mx goggles or can anyone recommend a pair with better.  They claimed to have better field of vision compared to other fox goggles so i guessed there would be more

Thanks so much for the help and guidance as usual TT!

When you wear it for an extended period are there pressure points?  It almost looks in the picture as if you are wearing the helmet rotated downward too much in the front.  Does the helmet slide around easily independent of your skin when you grab it by the chinpiece and move it around with your hand?  If it stays put and doesn't hurt you, then it should be good.  Try rotating it up in the front so that your nose is partly covered by the chinpiece...  This might help with how the goggles fit as well...

Edited by Fattonz

After wearing the helmet for about 20 minutes I have not noticed any pressure points other than the chipmunk cheeks which I feel will work in, and a little tight on my ears, but not uncomfortable really.  I will try to slide it up a bit, the padding does not slip on my skin when moving the helmet, its nice and tight, if anything it may b a tiny bit too tight.  I am going to where it for a few hours tonight and see.  I have 7 days to return it :/

It just seems weird that my face is so close to the chin piece, maybe its just how that fox fits.  I am at a loss!  Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how if any that changes the fit :)

It just seems weird that my face is so close to the chin piece, maybe its just how that fox fits.  I am at a loss!  Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how if any that changes the fit :)

Take advantage of that return policy and wear the helmet as much as you can in the meantime, to be sure it fits.  Ride with it if possible.  The cheekpads will wear in. 

I have both a Fox V1 and a V3.  The chinpiece definitely does not sit close to my face as your's does in the pic.  I just threw the V3 on to be sure.  However, if I pull the chinpiece into a low position, such as your's is in the picture, then it moves into very close proximity of the face....

Edited by Fattonz

Take advantage of that return policy and wear the helmet as much as you can in the meantime, to be sure it fits.  Ride with it if possible.  The cheekpads will wear in. 

I have both a Fox V1 and a V3.  The chinpiece definitely does not sit close to my face as your's does in the pic.  I just threw the V3 on to be sure.  However, if I pull the chinpiece into a low position, such as your's is in the picture, then it moves into very close proximity of the face....

I am gonna wear it indoors all weekend when I have the chance to see if it feels like it will loosen up a tiny bit.  After raising the chin piece up a little like you said the helmet seems to fit a little more naturally, except these chipmunk cheeks are so bad that if I open my mouth and close it with the helmet on, both the insides of my cheeks get chomped by my teeth haha 

It seems to be a more normal distance from my nose now?

KFiMXwq.jpg

Edited by New2Moto

I am gonna wear it indoors all weekend when I have the chance to see if it feels like it will loosen up a tiny bit.  After raising the chin piece up a little like you said the helmet seems to fit a little more naturally, except these chipmunk cheeks are so bad that if I open my mouth and close it with the helmet on, both the insides of my cheeks get chomped by my teeth haha 

It seems to be a more normal distance from my nose now?

I know what you mean about the cheeks and the biting on the inside...but they will wear in...

I think it's a little better, but still looks a tad on the low side to me.  Here I took a couple pics of mine worn normal, then low.  This V3 is a perfect fit for me:

2014-02-14152753_zpsf2e5516b.jpg

2014-02-14152806_zps40a5e7a8.jpg

Edited by Fattonz

I know what you mean about the cheeks and the biting on the inside...but they will wear in...

I think it's a little better, but still looks a tad on the low side to me.  Here I took a couple pics of mine worn normal, then low.  This V3 is a perfect fit for me:

I didnt have mine that low but i know what u mean for sure...here are some pics with goggles on, I guess maybe they designed it to go with the fox goggles like this?  Still seems a little weird to me, you seem to have a lot more room between ur nose and chin piece than I do.  What do u think of how the goggles line up with the chin piece?

FrgoSMt.jpg

52rPpod.jpg

You sure your head is all the way in there ? What size is that bucket ?

EDIT I see it's a large..

Edited by GoonShifter

Somethin does seem odd with the way the goggles fit in there...not sure what it is. But i have heard the chipmunk cheeks aren't a big deal when new as it will wear in. The biggest things are usually comfort (pressure points), and any big gaps in areas around the temples etc. Some helmets just dont fit some heads right there....why trying on is key (  i know u said u couldnt). For w/e reason it looks like the top of your mouthpiece is real low, could just be the way it fits I suppose.

What do u think of how the goggles line up with the chin piece?

Ok, that part seems pretty weird.  Seems like there should be more room in there.  I wear Thor goggles and they fit in there just fine.  I'm at work now, otherwise I would try on my goggles and see for sure.

Shouldn't that chin bar be 2-3 in. Past the face? That looks pretty tucked in. With my helmet I would smash my mouth on it. Push you chin bar as far back as you can and make sure it doesn't hit you. I would send it back... But that's just me.

You sure your head is all the way in there ? What size is that bucket ?

EDIT I see it's a large..

Ya my heads squished in as far as it can go, and it is still only an inch or so away from my nose/mouth.   Weird thing to me is it feels like it fits just fine other than the chipmonk cheeks and short chin piece.  I feel an XL of the same helmet would be too large in the temple area.  This one is so snug I don't think I would be able to wear sunglasses with it.  Maybe I just need to get a  shoei off road helmet since the gt-air journey I got fits like it was made for my head.

Shouldn't that chin bar be 2-3 in. Past the face? That looks pretty tucked in. With my helmet I would smash my mouth on it. Push you chin bar as far back as you can and make sure it doesn't hit you. I would send it back... But that's just me.

If I press on the chin piece it does push all the way back to my face and makes contact.  It is slightly padded but this is probably a deal breaker?  That's not supposed to happen right?  That Is why I thought this odd, I have always seen the chin part 2-3 in from the mouth area like you said.  This one I can barely get my hand in under the helmet to touch my nose. 

I guess my options are to keep trying and pay $6.99 or whatever every time to return if it doesn't fit again OR drive the 2.5 hours to cycle gear, return this one and see what they got and I am sure there has to be more shops in the Charleston area

Edited by New2Moto

Ya my heads squished in as far as it can go, and it is still only an inch or so away from my nose/mouth. Weird thing to me is it feels like it fits just fine other than the chipmonk cheeks and short chin piece. I feel an XL of the same helmet would be too large in the temple area. This one is so snug I don't think I would be able to wear sunglasses with it. Maybe I just need to get a shoei off road helmet since the gt-air journey I got fits like it was made for my head.

If I press on the chin piece it does push all the way back to my face and makes contact. It is slightly padded but this is probably a deal breaker? That's not supposed to happen right? That Is why I thought this odd, I have always seen the chin part 2-3 in from the mouth area like you said. This one I can barely get my hand in under the helmet to touch my nose.

I guess my options are to keep trying and pay $6.99 or whatever every time to return if it doesn't fit again OR drive the 2.5 hours to cycle gear, return this one and see what they got and I am sure there has to be more shops in the Charleston area

If my face touched the chin bar, the helmet would be in the garbage or returned. Usually I put stuff like that on kijiji, but not if its like that. I would definitely return that helmet. Good luck.

Hey New...maybe it's all that hair :D  

But seriously, if it touches your face when you push on it, it could seriously hurt you.  I have learned the hard way in the past myself, that a helmet is one of those things that you just have to shop for in person and not online.  Going for another size might not work if your head is not shaped right for that helmet.  Some guys are Arai guys, some guys Shoei guys, etc...  Those sizing charts often don't take into account the different head shapes.  Your head may be longer from front to back or something...

Especially where you are new to wearing a helmet, you might be best off to go check out some lids in person.  If you get a good sales guy working with you, they can sometimes be a huge help. 

Edited by Fattonz

Hey New...maybe it's all that hair :D  

But seriously, if it touches your face when you push on it, it could seriously hurt you.  I have learned the hard way in the past myself, that a helmet is one of those things that you just have to shop for in person and not online.  Going for another size might not work if your head is not shaped right for that helmet.  Some guys are Arai guys, some guys Shoei guys, etc...  Those sizing charts often don't take into account the different head shapes.  Your head may be longer from front to back or something...

Especially where you are new to wearing a helmet, you might be best off to go check out some lids in person.  If you get a good sales guy working with you, they can sometimes be a huge help. 

Ya I am thinking of making the trip to the Charleston cycle gear before the 7 days is up to return this and  try some on in person...so is it true that helmet brands fit similarly IE If i have a shoei that fits great I should  expect other types of shoeis to fit well?And

I knew someone would say something about the hair!  I have the spirit of someone from an earlier generation and the hair too!

Edited by New2Moto

Ya I am thinking of making the trip to the Charleston cycle gear before the 7 days is up to return this and  try some on in person...so is it true that helmet brands fit similarly IE If i have a shoei that fits great I should  expect other types of shoeis to fit well?And

I knew someone would say something about the hair!  I have the spirit of someone from an earlier generation and the hair too!

Sorry, couldn't resist :smirk:

It's true for the most part that brands fit similarly within brands, if you stay with models that are in the same quality range.  But some models can fit differently within the brand.  For example, I know for a fact that the Fox V1 is a different fit than the V3....

It's just too important to try to guess.  The only sure way is to try it on in person, and wear it around the store as long as you can.  just throwing it on for a second or two won't cut it.  If you're making the trip, make it count... 

I am actually in the market for a new helmet and have been looking at different brands so I thought I would go try my friends fox v2 on like you have I noticed it was closer to my face on the chin gaurd than other helmets I have worn in the past but yours seems a lot closer to your face than the one I just tried on. I would definitely return it and do what others have said make the trip it will be worth it to be happy with it rather than regret it the whole time you own it .

Sorry, couldn't resist :smirk:

It's true for the most part that brands fit similarly within brands, if you stay with models that are in the same quality range.  But some models can fit differently within the brand.  For example, I know for a fact that the Fox V1 is a different fit than the V3....

It's just too important to try to guess.  The only sure way is to try it on in person, and wear it around the store as long as you can.  just throwing it on for a second or two won't cut it.  If you're making the trip, make it count... 

Ya I am going to call Monday and see if I can have an extension till next Saturday to return.   I vend at a farmers market that is an hour away in the direction of Charleston, so it would only be 1.5 hour drive after the marketT

Thanks all for the help!  Since i have a shoei already and it fits very very well, I am gonna look at the shoei off road and shoei DS helmets...any suggestions?  I feel like the Ds will be good for a multi day trip of on and off road, but going to do some sketchy trail riding I think a true off road helmet would be best.

Edited by New2Moto

Chin bar looks too close to your face. I don't think the goggles and chin bar should be touching. I would return it. I bought a Shoei at cycle gear. They had thin and thick cheek pads for my medium helmet in stock. I bought the thin ones ( still pretty thick, they don't vary by much ). Fit is very tight ( hard to get on and off ) but comfortable. I don't notice it at all once I start riding.