DRZ400E Engine rebuild part question

I rebuilt a KLX400 (same engine as DRZ400E) engine and once I got it all done I realized that i forgot to put one of two parts back in. I am not niave enogh to think they are not there for a reason but am wondering what they do and what happens if I do not tear the engine back apart to put the part in its proper place? See the picture for the part that is circled (part # 5) and it is the one on the exhaust pipe/clutch side that i think I forgot.

DRZCyclinder_zps81df02ab.jpg

That part is called a locating dowel, I would definitely install it.  That part locates the cylinder exactly where it needs to be.  If you do not install it, you could very well have premature engine wear.  :cry:

That part is called a locating dowel, I would definitely install it.  That part locates the cylinder exactly where it needs to be.  If you do not install it, you could very well have premature engine wear.  :cry:

PLUS 1... :thumbsup:

PLUSS 2

I rebuilt a KLX400 (same engine as DRZ400E) engine and once I got it all done I realized that i forgot to put one of two parts back in. I am not niave enogh to think they are not there for a reason but am wondering what they do and what happens if I do not tear the engine back apart to put the part in its proper place? See the picture for the part that is circled (part # 5) and it is the one on the exhaust pipe/clutch side that i think I forgot.

DRZCyclinder_zps81df02ab.jpg

That's a real shame , it's a critical item .

OP...there is a good chance that would be ok, ...once it bolted down, it's not going anywhere....

Personally I would dismantle and install the missing pin....

Yeah , my concern would be the absolute correct position .

Personally , I would not run that motor .

I would get those dowels in. They locate the cylinder to Center. If you run it the way it is you will wear out the bottom end bearing and top end quick

The dowels also insure that the water galleries line up, mate with the base gasket and don't leak inside or out. 

The dowels also insure that the water galleries line up, mate with the base gasket and don't leak inside or out. 

OK I am convinced. Apart comes the engine again. So much fun doing 4 stroke engines. :thumbsdn: Thank you for all of your advice. I knew the answer but wanted to confirm it before openning it up again. :banghead:

Some will say it is fine to reuse the head and base gasket but personally I would replace them.

If you went with the single layer base gasket you will have a spare one and only need a head gasket.

Did you run the motor at all?

Some will say it is fine to reuse the head and base gasket but personally I would replace them.

If you went with the single layer base gasket you will have a spare one and only need a head gasket.

Did you run the motor at all?

I hit the start button to test the battery and it fired right up (a shock) and I hit the kill button so it ran for maybe 5 seconds. No throttle or load. It did seap a little oil out of the area where the locating dowel is missing.

OK I am convinced. Apart comes the engine again. So much fun doing 4 stroke engines. :thumbsdn: Thank you for all of your advice. I knew the answer but wanted to confirm it before openning it up again. :banghead:

Don't feel so bad, a few years ago I installed a Namura BB kit and forgot to put the oil jet in it. :smashpc: