2014 CRF 450R - Best mods? ECU? Pipe?

After a 8 year layoff and much debating I have decided to buy a 2014 CRF 450 to ride MX with my son.  I know the bike is a little down on hp but that is good for me because I need a smoother type motor until I get back in shape.  Another reason is I'm 5'10 and 185lbs so the bike fits me really well.

With that said the first mod I will do is the suspension and after I get back into riding shape I may want some more motor. 

From what I've read the pipes don't really add that much hp especially if you don't remap the bike. 

I was thinking the following mods would help.

1). Remap

2). Remove Backfire Screen

3). VP VPR fuel

4). FMF Pipe

Opinions / Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Todd D

Head porting if you gonna keep the bike more than one year :ride:

VORTEX is the best mod for the money, way better then a FMF pipe.  I got full single fmf pipe, then i goy the vortex wow lots of gains

The cheapest and best mod is a stage 2 HotCam and a reprogram. For $250 you can't beat it. In supermoto I have not had anyone ever pass me on the straight.

The cheapest and best mod is a stage 2 HotCam and a reprogram. For $250 you can't beat it. In supermoto I have not had anyone ever pass me on the straight.

Did you loose bottom end?

Not a bit, perfect all the way to the top.

VORTEX is the best mod for the money, way better then a FMF pipe.  I got full single fmf pipe, then i goy the vortex wow lots of gains

Is this what you bought?

http://www.vortexcdi.com/product_generic.php?cid=3

Did you use the stock settings provided or did you play with the settings?

Did you see gains overall? low? mid? top?

Thanks!

The Vortex will get the air/fuel ratio & spark timing closer to ideal settings than the stock ECU mapping, but the stock ECU can be easily remapped to provide proper fueling and spark timing. The Vortex can raise the rev limiter, but most don't need that, even though they think they do... neither ECU will "add power" really, just correct what was wrong (with the stock ECU programming) and provide better operability, which can feel like more power.

Edited by Eddie8v

VP race fuel is waste of money for the average practice rider in my opinion.(especially on stock motor) Keeping everything fresh best thing you can do. Fresh tires, fluids, chain and sprocket etc.

Not a bit, perfect all the way to the top.

VP race fuel is waste of money for the average practice rider in my opinion.(especially on stock motor) Keeping everything fresh best thing you can do. Fresh tires, fluids, chain and sprocket etc.

My sons 14 KX 85 is modded so I need to run it in his bike.  Less jetting woes and I don't need to run all over town trying to find ethanol free fuel.

If it's sitting there I will probably use it!

The cost is around $7.90 a gallon but it's worth it to me.

Edited by Todd D

pipe last mod i'd do,if I had to do it all over again .For the price of a full system ,ported head,cam, remap,maybe piston(hi-comp). really good power 58-60 hp .U4 with remap is good too,thats $50 + the gas,5gal lasts me a month .

pipe last mod i'd do,if I had to do it all over again .For the price of a full system ,ported head,cam, remap,maybe piston(hi-comp). really good power 58-60 hp .U4 with remap is good too,thats $50 + the gas,5gal lasts me a month .

My son is sponsored by Vertex so I can get a deal on the cam and piston.  Most of the SX privateers are using a remap, hi-comp piston, pipe and a cam.

Edited by Todd D

pipe last mod i'd do,if I had to do it all over again .For the price of a full system ,ported head,cam, remap,maybe piston(hi-comp). really good power 58-60 hp .U4 with remap is good too,thats $50 + the gas,5gal lasts me a month .

This is soooo right. I beg you guys to trust me. Pay Ron Hamp for his CNC porting job, install a 13.5 piston and run pump gas with the stock exhaust. You'll be so much faster your friends will notice. Bike is smoother and easier to ride as well. If you want the most "top end" keep the stock cam. If you want more low-mid, Ron has 2 cams for that, now.

This is soooo right. I beg you guys to trust me. Pay Ron Hamp for his CNC porting job, install a 13.5 piston and run pump gas with the stock exhaust. You'll be so much faster your friends will notice. Bike is smoother and easier to ride as well. If you want the most "top end" keep the stock cam. If you want more low-mid, Ron has 2 cams for that, now.

Barr's Competition sponsors my son so I'm sure Bobby could port the head. 

I know he recommends changing the cam with a Hi-Comp Piston.

You don't "need" to change the cam (typically people are directed to an off-the-shelf aftermarket larger-duration and higher-lift camshaft) with an HC piston. Indeed, the cam is chosen based upon a multitude of things, with head porting being primary, piston compression being the smallest factor. You need a balanced system, with the porting, camshaft and piston selected to work in harmony. A stock camshaft is more than enough to make 64hp with the proper porting and race fuel, 60hp'ish on pump gas. Bigger aftermarket cams are an attempt to get more flow from STOCK head ports, not from properly ported head ports... they just want your cash. Ported heads flow more and faster, so a large cam isn't needed, which allows you to have more low-mid than a motor with a bigger camshaft. Indeed, a somewhat "mellower" than stock cam is most desirable to most, smoothing out the torque curve, adding low-mid whil still offering 60hp on top. Braaap.

Edited by Eddie8v

My sons 14 KX 85 is modded so I need to run it in his bike.  Less jetting woes and I don't need to run all over town trying to find ethanol free fuel.

If it's sitting there I will probably use it!

The cost is around $7.90 a gallon but it's worth it to me.

That is slightly less than what we pay for the ethanol infested crap we get from the pumps over here.. You have no idea how cheap your gas is over there.

My son is sponsored by Vertex so I can get a deal on the cam and piston.  Most of the SX privateers are using a remap, hi-comp piston, pipe and a cam.

Todd,

You can't go wrong with Eddie's remap, 13:1 piston, stage 1/stage 2 cam, and MRD/FMF/Yoshi pipe.. if you have the money, port/polish work is well worth the cost if improved performance is your end goal.

With a discounted price on the cam and piston, that will be your best bang for your buck with Eddie's remap.

JL

You don't "need" to change the cam (typically people are directed to an off-the-shelf aftermarket larger-duration and higher-lift camshaft) with an HC piston. Indeed, the cam is chosen based upon a multitude of things, with head porting being primary, piston compression being the smallest factor. You need a balanced system, with the porting, camshaft and piston selected to work in harmony. A stock camshaft is more than enough to make 64hp with the proper porting and race fuel, 60hp'ish on pump gas. Bigger aftermarket cams are an attempt to get more flow from STOCK head ports, not from properly ported head ports... they just want your cash. Ported heads flow more and faster, so a large cam isn't needed, which allows you to have more low-mid than a motor with a bigger camshaft. Indeed, a somewhat "mellower" than stock cam is most desirable to most, smoothing out the torque curve, adding low-mid whil still offering 60hp on top. Braaap

Yeah he explained the porting with a 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke.  On a 4-stroke you are trying to get as much air-flow around the valve as possible.  Ideal would be 100% but no one can achieve 100% so tuners try and get as close as possible.  So yes the ported head show flow better and faster.

The cam profile is relative to what type of power you are trying to achieve.  Low-mid or mid-top.  The Honda is weak on top-end so a different profile (when it opens and closes) cam may help in that area.

When installing HC Pistons on a 250F most of the builders recommend changing the rods out to a Carillo. 

I don't want to get off subject in a debate about engine builders.

For now leaning towards, Stage 2 Cam, Remap, VP gas and maybe an FMF pipe.  I know the pipe is $ but I get a deal.

When time for a rebuild I will move forward with the porting, and HC Piston.

It's your money. You don't need a stage 2 cam with a properly ported head is all I am saying. That's a top-end cam that's a band-aid for stock porting. And you don't even need an aftermarket exhaust. Or VP fuel.

Stage 2 cam with stock piston isn't any good either.

Edited by Eddie8v

Todd,

You can't go wrong with Eddie's remap, 13:1 piston, stage 1/stage 2 cam, and MRD/FMF/Yoshi pipe.. if you have the money, port/polish work is well worth the cost if improved performance is your end goal.

With a discounted price on the cam and piston, that will be your best bang for your buck with Eddie's remap.

JL

Not trying to question or bash anyone but I was considering the map from Tokyo Mods?  Has anyone had experience with Eddies vs Tokyo Mods?

I do have a friend that has hi bike remapped by eleven10mods and he said it run better from bottom to top.