Sign in to follow this  

rm 125 gearing

ok, so ive noticed on my rm 125 that the gearing feels extremely short on it. once i hit 2nd-4th gear, it feels exactly the same. any suggestions??

ok, so ive noticed on my rm 125 that the gearing feels extremely short on it. once i hit 2nd-4th gear, it feels exactly the same. any suggestions??

does it do this after it warms up? cause with my rm125 it does the same thing when it's not quite warmed up yet. Like when i race after the first corner I feel no difference between 2nd 3rd or 4th but after another corner I can tell the difference. By the way when you say 2nd-4th I'm pretty sure you mean 2nd 3rd and 4th right?  I'm not sure what it would be though if it does it after it warms up. It's a race bike so the gears will be short on it. If it does it before it warms up it's just what it does because my friend has one too and it does the same thing. I've heard though the Suzuki's tranny are not the greatest I had to replace mine once already. Maybe try different sprocket size's. What do you have on there now?

Edited by suzukirider103

does it do this after it warms up? cause with my rm125 it does the same thing when it's not quite warmed up yet. Like when i race after the first corner I feel no difference between 2nd 3rd or 4th but after another corner I can tell the difference. By the way when you say 2nd-4th I'm pretty sure you mean 2nd 3rd and 4th right?  I'm not sure what it would be though if it does it after it warms up. It's a race bike so the gears will be short on it. If it does it before it warms up it's just what it does because my friend has one too and it does the same thing. I've heard though the Suzuki's tranny are not the greatest I had to replace mine once already. Maybe try different sprocket size's. What do you have on there now?

i have 12 and 51 on there now. the guy that had it before had the tranny gone through, i guess he couldve put different gearing it.

My  125 has 13/52 and the 150 has 13/51 and will pull a 50 on longer more open tracks. If you get that motor set up right with squish & jetting I'd try a 13/52.

Also make sure that clutch basket isn't grooved causing the clutch to slip.

i have 12 and 51 on there now. the guy that had it before had the tranny gone through, i guess he couldve put different gearing it.

Depending on the year of your 125, a quick Google search tells me your stock gearing could be 12/49. That would mean your 12/51 tightened up your ratios slightly.  You could try a 49t rear sprocket....assuming that is stock for your year 125.

I doubt very much that the owner changed any ratios when he had his tranny "gone through" Odds are is he split the case and maybe replaced some bearings, but odds are he just inspected things.

As far as your feeling you and suzukirider123 have of no change between 2-3-4 until it warms up isn't really physically possible.  Gears don't really stretch.  :)  Odds are that the bike is not warmed up enough and is running clean quite yet. If the lack of change between 2-3-4 does not go away as you warm up then it can be the 51t rear sprocket tightening your ratios to much or engine adjustment (PV/carb/etc) issue.