Sign in to follow this  

1997 cr 125 Crank seal replacement

I have just noticed that my bike is drinking the trans oil and running rich, so I need to replace my crank seals. I was wondering if I have to pull the motor and crack the cases to do this or if this is something I can do with the motor still on the bike. I know the right side seal on these bikes seem to leak more frequently then the left seal but on my motor I need to replace both sides.

I have just noticed that my bike is drinking the trans oil and running rich, so I need to replace my crank seals. I was wondering if I have to pull the motor and crack the cases to do this or if this is something I can do with the motor still on the bike. I know the right side seal on these bikes seem to leak more frequently then the left seal but on my motor I need to replace both sides.

You can do it with the motor in the bike.  On the clutch side you have to remove the clutch to get to the crankshaft seal, on the flywheel side, you have to remove the flywheel and stator. 

Thanks, so the only special tools I'll need will be a flywheel puller ?

And some sort of an engine lockup tool to hold the crankshaft in place while you dissasemble the clutch side.  I bought one from Rockymountainmc that works good.  You can put rope down the spark plug hole but make sure it doesn't snag on your ports.

So I just need to order the parts labeled 30 and 31 from this diagram? I read something about having to replace some collar when I replace the seals, what part is this collar? Or does this bike not have the collar http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/1997/CR125/CRANKCASE

I think #2 in this diagram is the collar.  http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/1997/CR125/CLUTCH

ThAnks for the help guys, so I should just have to order the right side Cover gasket, the right side seal, right side collar, and left side seal. Then order myself a flywheel puller and i can put a pice of rope in the top of the engine to keep it from spinning. Sound like I am covering everything ?

ThAnks for the help guys, so I should just have to order the right side Cover gasket, the right side seal, right side collar, and left side seal. Then order myself a flywheel puller and i can put a pice of rope in the top of the engine to keep it from spinning. Sound like I am covering everything ?

Yep that sounds like a pretty complete list.  If you get the stuff from motosport, you should see if they have a lockup tool.  They work much better than rope.  I got mine from rockymountainmc.com it was the tusk brand only cost about $6 and it works awesome.