Sign in to follow this  

Oh no, what have i done

my 2000 drz400e wasnt running right, you stall if left to idle without choke, was idleing low.

i decided to open up the carb to clean it with carb cleaner and clean out the pilot jet.

now it will not run at all without choke :(, i can keep it going if i start it with choke and then use the throttle to keep it running but if i close the throttle to much it pops and stalls.

my process of cleaning:

i sprayed the outside with carb cleaner around the floatbowl and then wiped it off with a rag so it was clean.

undid the float bowl with an allan key and then sprayed in there with carb cleaner,

pilot jet would not come out so i sprayed a bit of wd40 on it to get it out,

once removed i sprayed carb cleaner all over and threw the jet and in the hole where it was.

reinstalled the jet, closed the float bowl up and sprayed the whole ouside of the carb to remove all the dirt and gunk.

took all of the hoses off and sprayed them out as well as in the port they were connected to(think this is where i went wrong)

realised i had changed the fuel mixture screw (i think thats what it was) so i set it to 3 turns out and reinstalled the carb.

what have i dont wrong?

how can i fix it?

what shouldnt i have done?(i know there was something)

Edited by Bowerbird100

your fcr can be worn out. its a 2000 after all.

did you store the bike for an e tended time lately?

does not sound like you broke something.

recheck the install

check the airboot for leaks

set the pilot citcuit. instructions are on this site

It was perfect a week ago when I purchase the bike, then it started to not want to idle and not want to run right under the first 1/4 throttle.

Only thing it didn't do right a week ago was bogged off idle, needed eddies mod done.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

Check the carb is fitted correctly to the intake rubber...

You say you couldn't remove the pilot jet??...You could have loosened up some more junk and clogged the pilot jet more....

I would have used spray brake cleaner not WD40 .

I would have cleaned the carb ( externally ) thoroughly before I removed the float bowl .

I would have used compressed air to clean blocked passages inside the carb .

I would have fitted a new Pilot Jet .

Edited by ITS CHOOKEN

I would have used spray brake cleaner not WD40 .

I would have cleaned the carb ( externally ) thoroughly before I removed the float bowl .

I would have used compressed air to clean blocked passages inside the carb .

I would have fitted a new Pilot Jet .

Thanks, ill remember all or that for next time I pull the carb apart.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

• Like 1

Check the carb is fitted correctly to the intake rubber...

You say you couldn't remove the pilot jet??...You could have loosened up some more junk and clogged the pilot jet more....

How would one clean all of the gunk that would have been released from that.

Ill check the boot on either Monday or Tuesday when I'm home next

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

I read somewhere something about carb diaphragms reacting to carb cleaner, its is possible that that may have happened from spraying carb cleaner into all the holes/ports with tubes coming out of them?

I read somewhere something about carb diaphragms reacting to carb cleaner, its is possible that that may have happened from spraying carb cleaner into all the holes/ports with tubes coming out of them?

brake/carb cleaner is something i never use around carburetor rubbers/gaskets/plastics/etc

it's usually very aggressive, much more than needed. wd40 is a much nicer, gentler solution for softening deposits. 

if the carb is really nasty, dunk it in pinesol for a few days. 

The gasket that reacts to carb cleaner is the throttle plate gasket it's the very thin oring type gasket that sits to the throttle plate it will expand with harsh solvents I just replaced myne yesterday as it was cracking because I put metho in the tank to get water out they are about 20 bucks and it easy to replace just make sure you put it the right way up one side has a flair on it and if it's damaged or swollen the bike will not idle right or not at all

You need to be able to remove the pilot jet ...I suggest replacement with a new one..

Just a reminder to never use ethanol fuels in you bike as they are a known clogging agent for carb jets if left sittings for any length of time...

Non ethanol fuel is readily available here in Australia,unlike countries like the US..

And plus one on not using brake cleaner on gaskets and rubbers...

• Like 1

Also check the throttle plate for cracks, check by giving it a slight flex you want to replace it it is cracked because the little pieces that brake off will do very bad  things to your valves

You need to be able to remove the pilot jet ...I suggest replacement with a new one..

Just a reminder to never use ethanol fuels in you bike as they are a known clogging agent for carb jets if left sittings for any length of time...

Non ethanol fuel is readily available here in Australia,unlike countries like the US..

And plus one on not using brake cleaner on gaskets and rubbers...

I did remove it and sprayed carb cleaner threw it, waited and hour and did it again.

Then put it back in.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

I did remove it and sprayed carb cleaner threw it, waited and hour and did it again.

Then put it back in.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

For cleaning out jets, Compressed air works best. And If they are really bad than a thin piece of wire run through them a few times followed by compressed air does the trick.

• Like 1

For cleaning out jets, Compressed air works best. And If they are really bad than a thin piece of wire run through them a few times followed by compressed air does the trick.

I have been told that putting wire throu the jets is a very bad idea as it can oversize them when i rebuilt my carb i just bought new ones

TAKE OUT THE PILOT,UNSCREW THE MIXTURE SCREW[MAKE SURE THE SPRING, TINY WASHER AND O RING COME OUT TOO] THEN SPRAY CARB CLEANER THROUGH THE JET HOLE AND THE MIXTURE SCREW HOLE, WATCHING TO SEE IF THERE IS CLEANER COMING OUT OF THE TINY HOLE JUST BEHIND THE SLIDE [ENGINE SIDE] THEN RE ASSEMBLE. PROBABLY WHATEVER CRAP WAS IN THE JET WAS ALSO IN THE PASSAGE TOO. If YOU BLOCK ONE HOLE WHILE SPRAYING IN THE OTHER YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF CLEARING THE OBSTRUCTION. COMPRESSED AIR IS A BIG HELP TOO.

I have been told that putting wire throu the jets is a very bad idea as it can oversize them when i rebuilt my carb i just bought new ones

When I say wire, I mean like one little stran of copper wire. The kind of wire that pretty much bends if you look at it the wrong way.

When I say wire, I mean like one little stran of copper wire. The kind of wire that pretty much bends if you look at it the wrong way.

16 amp fuse wire??

Seems really thin and soft.

Plus I have some spare.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

Well it's running again :)

Running rich though, going to buy and extended fuel screw so I can change without the epic task of removing the carb.

Still idling low at around 700

Choke = 2000-2200

Runs fine on choke.

Would I be better to just rejet?

Or will I try fix with copper wire?

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

It was perfect a week ago when I purchase the bike, then it started to not want to idle and not want to run right under the first 1/4 throttle.

Only thing it didn't do right a week ago was bogged off idle, needed eddies mod done.

2000 drz400E "Aussie"

Mine was behaving exactly like that and it turned out to be running way too lean. In my care, it was a sea level purchase that I took home to 4,000ft and then got the wrong instructions for the mixture screw.

Edited by underbike