2009 YZ250F Hour Meter

I am trying to get an hour meter working on the above bike. I havnt ever come across a sparkplug lead like this one.

It has two wires going to the plug that can be disconnected from the top of the plug lead.

I have tried every possible way of wrapping the meter wire and cable tying as per instructions but with no success. Tried both wires together, each one seperately, moved up and down from plug, even pushed meter wire into plug connection.

Tried it on another bike with conventional plug lead and worked straight away.

Anyone had this problem before?

Wrap the wire from the hour meter around the spark plug cap just above the rubber seal, 2 or 3 coils should be enough, if you kick the bike over it should start flashing showing that its working

Wrap the wire from the hour meter around the spark plug cap just above the rubber seal, 2 or 3 coils should be enough, if you kick the bike over it should start flashing showing that its working

Tried that, in numerous locations. I have fitted the same hour meter to two different bikes before with conventional plug leads with no problems.

Fitted this meter to a KX250F to see if meter was faulty but it worked straight away.

Totally dumbfounded!

Had a closer look at what you mentioned, tried it and it worked. Only problem I have now is wire is not long enough to get up to the neck of the frame where I am mounting the meter!! Wrapping it around that position uses up a lot more wire than supplied.

Off to the hardware I go to find some wire long enough!

Thanks heaps for your advice, I was getting a little annoyed!

No prob, you could mount it on the airbox under the seat, not as easy to spot but you can always see it every time you change your filter

I don't have any hour meters on my bikes and am looking to purchase about 5 of them. Can you recommend a brand or a seller on eBay that sells a worthy quality hour meter?

I forgot to say, I heard that there are some hour meters with extra functions, I don't think I care to spend any extra money on those extra functions if it adds on quite a bit of $.

Can you recommend a brand or a seller on eBay that sells a worthy quality hour meter?

Search for "inductive hour meter" on eBay.  There are a ton of Chinese sellers with them for less than $10 and look to be identical/re-branded to the dirt bike specific ones sold in the states.

I have one similar to this with no problems.  Expect about a month for shipping though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Inductive-Hour-Meter-For-Motorcycle-Marine-ATV-Boat-Ski-Dirt-Quad-Bike-/121272480873?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3c673469&vxp=mtr

Search for "inductive hour meter" on eBay.  There are a ton of Chinese sellers with them for less than $10 and look to be identical/re-branded to the dirt bike specific ones sold in the states.

I have one similar to this with no problems.  Expect about a month for shipping though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Inductive-Hour-Meter-For-Motorcycle-Marine-ATV-Boat-Ski-Dirt-Quad-Bike-/121272480873?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3c673469&vxp=mtr

Thank you for the response and to all others that have posted personal opinions on this matter. The WC is a nice meter but I can't see myself paying $40 for the extra features of it that I wouldn't need. I also found the Dubach Racing hour meter for $50 and the funny thing is, it is identical to the $8 plus $1 shipping meter I found on eBay without their decal on it. If I were a rich SOB I wouldn't mind paying extra for a proprietary device that is superior in quality to its competition with the features that I need, an hour meter is not that type of device. I will include a link to the seller that I bought three meters from. I have six bikes of different sizes that I have to maintain and the hour meter is one component that does not have to live up to the expectations like that of the motor itself. I do appreciate everybody's opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281155650223?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649