14' WR450

Hi X forum.

I am thinking about buying a 13'-14' WR450 b.c. it is injected, and solely b.c. it is injected (and a bit lighter) than the X. I have never had one between my legs. Who has ridden one!?

I have owned a built 06' X and am now on a 04' R that just started leaking out the countershaft seal and I am tempted to use it as an anchor for my luxury yacht.

PM Cubera, he has one. Had an X also. So far he likes it alot.

Hi X forum.

I am thinking about buying a 13'-14' WR450 b.c. it is injected, and solely b.c. it is injected (and a bit lighter) than the X. I have never had one between my legs. Who has ridden one!?

I have owned a built 06' X and am now on a 04' R that just started leaking out the countershaft seal and I am tempted to use it as an anchor for my luxury yacht.

Off topic, but hows the ergos on your x? Ive heard they feel crampy for taller riders. Ive never ridden or sat on one so I wouldn't know.

The WR is a great bike

I'm really liking the new WR. It's a surprisingly agile and muscular 450F that once tuned has little room for improvement. I'm planning on testing the legendary Yamaha reliability by flogging this bike until the crankshaft falls out. This is a seriously nice ride that Yamaha is planning on using to recapture some of its former glory when it dropped great riders off the program like Russ Pearson, for example. Based on initial impressions of this new WR it is the real deal ready to go head to head against the 450X and all the Halloween bikes. It would be great to see the Suzuki sold in Europe available here and what the *uc* is wrong with Kawi discoing the KLX450? Just sayin'. Good times ahead I'm hoping.

I'm really liking the new WR. It's a surprisingly agile and muscular 450F that once tuned has little room for improvement. I'm planning on testing the legendary Yamaha reliability by flogging this bike until the crankshaft falls out. This is a seriously nice ride that Yamaha is planning on using to recapture some of its former glory when it dropped great riders off the program like Russ Pearson, for example. Based on initial impressions of this new WR it is the real deal ready to go head to head against the 450X and all the Halloween bikes. It would be great to see the Suzuki sold in Europe available here and what the *uc* is wrong with Kawi discoing the KLX450? Just sayin'. Good times ahead I'm hoping.

How does the weight feel? Seems like they make these enduro 450's way too heavy.

How does the weight feel? Seems like they make these enduro 450's way too heavy.

Reported curb weight is 273# but it feels light, stable, and well balanced to ride. I wouldn't want to drag it around on extreme technical too much but the few times I've had to pick it up it didn't seem too heavy. 10# can be shaved by replacing the stock muffler with an FMF (which should be done anyway) and replacing the stock battery with an Li battery. The starter can be removed to save another few pounds so practically the new WR is as light as any of the "enduro" 450's. I was interested in replacing my 530 with a new 450XC-F and during the research process I stumbled upon the new Yamaha and discovered it is everything the XC-F is and more. It is a couple thousand cheaper and a Yamaha made so really it was a no brainer.

There are a couple of things that have to be done to the new WR before it can be ridden with any gusto. The muffler needs to be uncorked and this mod is really very easy to do (or replace it with an FMF Powercore 4). Second, the throttle stop screw has to be replaced with a shorter one which will allow the throttle to open fully. Third, the stock ECU has to be replaced with a competition one. Fourth, the air filter snorkel needs to go. I left the backfire screen intact and don't recommend removing it. The Competition ECU and throttle stop screw are sold as a package for $80-100. The Comp ECU is programmable and for that you will need the programming tool. I bought a used one for $175 and have been tinkering with mapping a bit. I couldn't be happier with the motor on this machine. It does it all coupled to and excellent 5 speed WR gearbox.

Thanks for the info Cubera, I think I might just pick one up!

Off topic, but hows the ergos on your x? Ive heard they feel crampy for taller riders. Ive never ridden or sat on one so I wouldn't know.

I am 6' 0" and the X feels cramped esp. going on long downhills but once you add a steering damper or raise the bars with the high mounts and a CR mid bend it fits perfectly. Fit me better than my current R.

I am 6' 0" and the X feels cramped esp. going on long downhills but once you add a steering damper or raise the bars with the high mounts and a CR mid bend it fits perfectly. Fit me better than my current R.

My experience with ergos: all bikes with lowered pegs, taller seats and bars added to them; from biggest cockpit to smallest

- KX450F

- CRF450X

- 2007-2011 WR450F

- KTM (sand cast motors)

- 2012+ WR450F (250 frame size)

- KTM (die cast motors)

I was unable to get the newer KTM's or WR to fit me well. The older WR fits OK, and the X fits really well,  but the top-heavy weight makes it a handful on the 'death march' trials.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick

My experience with ergos: all bikes with lowered pegs, taller seats and bars added to them; from biggest cockpit to smallest

- KX450F

- CRF450X

- 2007-2011 WR450F

- KTM (sand cast motors)

- 2012+ WR450F (250 frame size)

- KTM (die cast motors)

I was unable to get the newer KTM's or WR to fit me well. The older WR fits OK, and the X fits really well, but the top-heavy weight makes it a handful on the 'death march' trials.

That's weird because most taller riders say the x is crampy feeling, but I hear the same about ktm, and some say ktm suits taller riders. Never heard of kawis being crampy though, guess it preference.

That's weird because most taller riders say the x is crampy feeling, but I hear the same about ktm, and some say ktm suits taller riders. Never heard of kawis being crampy though, guess it preference.

PErception  is different to different people for sure  ---  To me , my 09 YZF (similar to the 07-11 WR's Krannie mentioned)  was larger than my current CRF-X's

The WR is a great bike

I wanted one of these as well --- still haven't ruled it out,  but at the time i was looking, i found a very low time X  and thought to myself, -- hmmmm, -- since i love Rekluse clutches and need custom suspension settings anyway , i was looking at spending $2500 or so on any bike to bring it up to speed for me after the initial purchase price ,   Add in different exhaust, bars, pegs and other peronalized touches, a new  WR would have been hovering in the 10-11k range,  while my older X was ready to go for about the same price as a box stock WR -   (this would have been any bike if i had bought it new though, i basically count on adding 3k to the OTD price to get them up to speed) 

So far, so good ,  but my strategy was a gamble that would have backfired  financially if the X had needed any mechanical work at all other than basic tuning.

I'd still love to try a WR --- I hate tinkering with carbs  and am ready to embrace electronic tuning methods ,  but i wanted to see what Honda's answer for the offroad community was going to be first.       The handling of the X is exhilarating for me compared to my YZ-F , which would try to climb out of every rut unless i was sitting on the gas cap practically

New WRs feel cramped seat to footpeg but feel good length wise....

New WRs feel cramped seat to footpeg but feel good length wise....

I agree. Fair assessment here. It's not an issue with standing and it is nice not to drag pegs where others might but the new WR does feel a bit cramped for my 32" inseam. I'm undecided on whether or not to lower foot pegs...probably not.

I don't know why the X has been described as having a cramped riding position for taller riders.  I am 6'5 and my brother is 6'3 and we both have X's.  They don't feel cramped to us at all.  Granted, we have sub mount dampers with high bars and we do stand up most of the time, but our 07 YZ450's were the bikes that felt cramped to us.

My dad had an 05 WR450 and never had any problems with it.  It was a great bike although it was harder to start and was really cold blooded compared to our X's.  Not sure if those days are over or not with the new WR.  Also, not to get off topic, but my 07 YZ450 had the transmission fail after only 20 hours of trail riding.  Yamaha wouldn't do anything to help me out even though I purchased it new.  I know this could happen to any manufacturer out there, but it made my decision to go back to red a easy one.

I don't know why the X has been described as having a cramped riding position for taller riders. I am 6'5 and my brother is 6'3 and we both have X's. They don't feel cramped to us at all. Granted, we have sub mount dampers with high bars and we do stand up most of the time, but our 07 YZ450's were the bikes that felt cramped to us.

My dad had an 05 WR450 and never had any problems with it. It was a great bike although it was harder to start and was really cold blooded compared to our X's. Not sure if those days are over or not with the new WR. Also, not to get off topic, but my 07 YZ450 had the transmission fail after only 20 hours of trail riding. Yamaha wouldn't do anything to help me out even though I purchased it new. I know this could happen to any manufacturer out there, but it made my decision to go back to red a easy one.

How much do dampers and high bars add? I'm 6'2 with boots on probly and that's just what I've read about people feeling crampy

I had a 2004 yz 450 and it didn't feel cramped to me

How much do dampers and high bars add? I'm 6'2 with boots on probly and that's just what I've read about people feeling crampy

I believe the sub mount adds 2" plus whatever your bar preference adds.

I had a 2004 yz 450 and it didn't feel cramped to me

The 04 was a bigger bike, they were still using the steel frame back then before switching to the aluminum unit in 06.

I believe the sub mount adds 2" plus whatever your bar preference adds.

The 04 was a bigger bike, they were still using the steel frame back then before switching to the aluminum unit in 06.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking into the x for myself as well as other bikes. Trying to get as much info possible

You can go up any amount you want.

I have the standard brp clamps and submount with KX high bars on my X, and a similar set up on the WR, but with the WR I have a 5/8" spacer under the bar clamp too.

I found the new WR pegs to be almost  7/8 inches higher than my lowered WR pegs! 

That means with lower pegs on the new WR, they are still almost .25" higher than my old WR lowered pegs. 

That was the deal breaker for me.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick