Sign in to follow this  

FENDER BAG TOOL STORAGE TIP

I saw this tip many years ago but could not find it's original author. So credits to who ever you are.

I took two pint size plastic oil containers, ( quart size fits the bigger fender bags ), and cut the tops off. Put necessary tools in one half and slide the second half over the first. This works great as the edges are smooth and wont wear through the fender bag. The oil containers also help to keep parts at bay while doing a trail side repair. I am able to keep all the tools I wish to carry in the pint size ones so the quart sized ones, if they fit your bag, will hold a bunch more.

Does anyone else use this method???

0215141058.jpg0215141057.jpg0215141057a.jpg

This post has been promoted to a wiki Edited by Broncoxr
  • Like 1

Cool idea.  Also, use the cinch strap inside the bag to keep the tools held down.  Otherwise the seams and zippers of the bag are withstanding the force, and will fail sooner.

Another trick is to cut a section of old inner tube into a ~10"  long cylinder.  Close one end permanently, and use a rubber band to hold the other end closed.  The rubber tube is good for holding wrenches, spark plugs, wire ties, coils of bailing wire, etc all in place and not rattling.

I use a food storage box "borrowed" from the kitchen, top seals so completely waterproof and keeps all my bits and pieces dry. Best tool I ever purchased was the  Motion Pro Trail tool - never leave home without it..

Cool idea! This would have saved me from picking my tools up off the road over a half mile stretch when I forgot to zip the damn bag a few weeks ago. I WILL be doing this soon.

For those of us that still have the stock "wings": I stuffed each of mine with a spare tube. There might be just enough room to get a small tow strap in there too. 

Yep..That's a brainwave right there..Something so simple ,,surely beats the crap old rags I have as a wrap around mine. .Bits are forever

falling out when I break them out of the actual rear holding bag..I will certainly use the idea. Medium vice grips are my largest tool in the range

so they should go in there rather than poking out the rags and possibly damaging the rear holding bags zip etc..

Edited by Horri

I use a food storage box "borrowed" from the kitchen, top seals so completely waterproof and keeps all my bits and pieces dry. Best tool I ever purchased was the  Motion Pro Trail tool - never leave home without it..

Hahaha   I like the borrowed part.

Another benefit is you could use the oil container to grab some gas from someone else for those of us who wear camelbacks and don't bring bottles

The oil bottle is a good tip.

I don't have a tool bag on my XR600L anymore because I use the soft panniers if going far enough from home that I can't easily walk back.

I went for a ride on my XL600R a couple days ago and was going to grab the extra bag of tools I have, but then I remembered my XL600R always has tools in the OEM tool box that is under the left side panel. I hope I remember they are there if I ever need them.