Sign in to follow this  

Help! Stripped nut or slide cable holder

Like the title says: I somehow have managed to strip out the nut head on the top of my cable holder for carb slide. I thought it was a little tight while trying to loosen for adj needle clip. I've tried needle nose pliars and vice grips but that dude it stuck. I know it isn't cross thread but don't know how it's seized. I've sprayed some wd40 in there to soak but really not sure how to get it out. Any helpful suggestions?

Sry for putting this in general forum but I wasn't sure....

Thanks in advance!

6mm 6 point is what it takes but corners rounded off today...first time in 20 yrs I've had this problem. I've tried or thought of every method I would use for a stripped bolt if I could get to it. I hate for a $5 part to cost me a new slide.

Just enough for a 6 point 6mm socket to slip.

How about a flat tip screwdriver in the slot tilted and the 6mm at same time?

Have you tried heating it up?

No I haven't but sounds like a good idea and maybe it will save my slide. I did try a screwdriver without the socket but it felt like it was going to spread out the slot. I have a planned ride tomorrow that I really don't want to miss, so I was going to verify my clip position but luckily I had already made an adjustment for approx same temps and altitude so I should be fine. I'll have 2 weeks before I can ride again due to work so it will give me time to try some things. I would like to save the slide and just get a cable holder but will do whatever it takes to get my blue needle out of there.

can u pound a 5mm or a standard size socket on it? I mean you're gonna have to get a new one regardless, lol.

You know I have tried 5.5mm and figure I could get it on with some file work but as it stands I can still ride it tomorrow since that's my last day off for 2 weeks. I guess I was hoping that I was having a brainfart and wasn't thinking of an easy solution.

Hey guys thanks for the helpful ideas. I guess I'm at a standoff with it until I get this ride in, been way too long due to weather and work...I'm getting real grumpy :D

Much appreciated and I'll be sure to follow up with what method worked.

Drill a hole in a block of wood for the needle to go in and pound a socket on it, the slide will be fine.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392816739.066037.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392816784.849987.jpg if you can see it there's a few flat spots right above the threads, get a socket to fit it pound it all the way down and then get it off that way. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I also used pb blaster if it helps any!
  • Like 1

And I forgot to mention that little nut is gonna run you anywhere between $27 and $40

Had this happen to me recently and was able to get the part for $11 off Ebay.

I was able to use flat nose pliers to get mine off.

What about drilling a small hole and using and ez-out to back it out?