2004 CRF450R Questions

Okay so this is my second bike, the first bike ive ever owned was a 09 CRF230F. Learned how to ride and went and got a 2004 CRF450R today. Not sure if this is how all bigger bikes are but when im coming to a stop, specicifally in 1st gear ( didnt try in other gears ) when i pull the clutch when im nearing a stop sign or something the bike starts to put and make noises like im not giving it enough gas when trying to pull out or something. And i sort of feel like the bike wants to keep going. Once it even died on me when i came to a stop. Is this a sign the clutches need replaced? Or does this normally happen with some 450s. I can answer questions so feel free to ask if you dont know what i mean. Thanks for the help!

Not sure how to do that ? link me to a video?

Im fairly new with working on my bikes lol i just know how to do the basic stuff, oil change, tire removal and such

By the clutch lever is a rubber knob, this knob covers a screw that it is connected to and covers. If I remember correctly roll that knob towards yourself to tighted the clutch cable. Might be the opposite way. Try a few times and get back to us. Edited by Diggla117

Also another question whats the best oil and oil filter to run? Im in southeastern KY so its a little cold but gets up to the 60s sometimes in the winter right now so let me know brand and weight thanks 

Engine and transmition 

Edited by afee53

Also another question whats the best oil and oil filter to run? Im in southeastern KY so its a little cold but gets up to the 60s sometimes in the winter right now so let me know brand and weight thanks

Engine and transmition

I run 10w40 in both, atv wet clutch for tranny tho and paper filters, you can even get them at advanced these days. Little filter ending with 116

By the clutch lever is a rubber knob, this knob covers a screw that it is connected to and covers. If I remember correctly roll that knob towards yourself to tighted the clutch cable. Might be the opposite way. Try a few times and get back to us.

I was just thinking about adjusting the clutch.. How would that work? I pull the clutch in all the way and as tight as i can but still it will act like its slipping or like im  coming to a stop without the clutch pulled in or something... Sorry just doing a little thinking lol im not really sure how it works so i was just wondering lol

I was just thinking about adjusting the clutch.. How would that work? I pull the clutch in all the way and as tight as i can but still it will act like its slipping or like im coming to a stop without the clutch pulled in or something... Sorry just doing a little thinking lol im not really sure how it works so i was just wondering lol

First make sure you have plenty of tranny fluid.

It goes like this- you pull the clutch in, it pulls out the lever by your left foot, that pushes in a rod across the case, that rod pushes out your pressure plate, that spring tension in your clutch lever is the springs in your pressure plate that normally hold your clutch plates all together, the when the pressure plate goes out those clutch plates are now not mashed together and can spin freely. Therefor not connecting with each other and letting the engine gear and trans shaft work separately. Usually when the plates are worn out they don't grab and when you mash the throttle it never makes full connection due to slipping and you never feel it make it to the ground. How the bike does not have to be running to adjust.. Check your trans fluid.

The bike ran great today after the oil change but the clutch still seems to be slipping or something when im in gear and coming to a stop. It acts as if im not giving it enough gas and the clutch is disengaged yet im pulling it in all the way. Going to adjust the clutch tomorrow and see if that helps. Also noticed some that the pipe is pretty beat up, likely from being looped or laid over previously. That doesn't hurt the bike does it? Ill include pictures soon

Depends. If it's a baby dent then I wouldn't worry about it, big dent then it's cutting down on flow out of the motor therefor slowing ya down.

I forgot to take a picture lol but yeah its a major dent.. The guy must have looped it or something because where the bracket is that holds it is still in original position but the rest of the exhaust towards the end is higher like i was pushed up or something.. Ill rem to get a picture tomorrow lol