Sign in to follow this  

Truing wheels

I have been trying to true my front wheel for a while now. I am using a motion pro truing stand and I have a Tusk spoke tourque wrench. The rim does have a very small flat spot on it but I figured that I could still get the wheel better trued than what it was. I'm really not having any luck. I have watched the videos on Motosport and Rocky mountain on wheel truing and have spent several hours trying to tweek but it seems like I keep fixing one spot and warping another.

So how much wobble would be acceptable before you just buy a new rim?

Are there any other videos that you recomend? It seems pretty straight forward but maybe there are some tricks I don't know yet.

Anything helps.

Thanks

• Like 1

Quarter turns are your friend. Little loosen...little tighten...little loosen. As far as wobble. Never seen a hard ridden dirt bike that didn't have a little wobble. You run 10 psi of tire pressure. Far more wobble in the tire then there is in the rim.

• Like 1

I have been trying to true my front wheel for a while now. I am using a motion pro truing stand and I have a Tusk spoke tourque wrench. The rim does have a very small flat spot on it but I figured that I could still get the wheel better trued than what it was. I'm really not having any luck. I have watched the videos on Motosport and Rocky mountain on wheel truing and have spent several hours trying to tweek but it seems like I keep fixing one spot and warping another.

So how much wobble would be acceptable before you just buy a new rim?

Are there any other videos that you recomend? It seems pretty straight forward but maybe there are some tricks I don't know yet.

Anything helps.

Thanks

Small turns when adjusting the spokes. Doesn't take much to throw it off even more. When I first got my bike the rear rim had a pretty good wobble to it. I used a dry erase marker held right next to the rim resting on the swing arm to find the bad spots(keep marker really close then spin the wheel, wherever it marker touches are spots that need to be pulled in the opposite direction. Don't get too carried away turning spokes. adjust a few then check again with the marker) My rim feels just like a brand new one now. I also trued the wheel right on the bike with the chain off so it would spin free. There is a video on youtube somewhere for this.

Edited by saly702

Brett Cue has a video on the MotoSport that has some decent information on this. But as stated above, small turns and take your time. You got this! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I spent some more time working on the wheel with the small adjustments as you recomended. I finally got both my wheels back to true (acceptable true). I found that it was easier for me to loosen every spoke on the wheel evenly abouth a full turn before adjusting for hop and wobble that way I had some room to make adjustments. I wasn't having any luck with loosening the opposing spokes before tightening the side I wanted to move for some reason.

Now I'm working on my girlfriends bike and trued the rear wheel in about 20 minutes.