Reed petals coming apart

250 xc. Ok, I need help! I have gone through 3 sets of reeds in 6 months and when they go one or two petals just disintegrate. I have never seen our heard of this happening. Anyone have a suggestion? I have not replaced the cage. It seems fine to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by mercedesdoc

Replace them

Check to see that the reeds are setting in the cage properly. I have had the same problem as you in the past with Vforce 3 reeds. The cage wears out, and on of the reeds will wiggle around slightly. Im willing to bet this is your issue. Upgrade to Boyesen RAD valve or Vforce 4

250 xc. Ok, I need help! I have gone through 3 sets of reeds in 6 months and when they go one or two petals just disintegrate. I have never seen our heard of this happening. Anyone have a suggestion? I have not replaced the cage. It seems fine to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

what year is your bike

Thanks! That's what I was thinking because the last time I replaced, the petals did seem loose. I just ordered a new Boysen RAD setup. Hopeful that this will bring the bike to where it should be. I'll follow up afterreplacement this weekend

It's a 2010 BTW. I bought it used last fall and it's awesome, just never seemed like it had the performance that my buddy's 2012 has. Jetting is dead on, and I've suspected reeds

Ok, so i recieved new RAD valve (180.00) and installed it Saturday. I didnt change anything else on the bike and rode this morning. It was perfection! I wish i had done this six months ago when I bought the bike. The old reed cage didnt look worn, but I noticed the smallest bit of side to side movement on the lower petal. This is the one that has disentegrated 3 times. I never noticed the movement before, or just dismissed it as not relevant. Anyway, it feels like a new bike and has amazing off idle snap and low end torque. I was riding a gear higher all day and the power was just there throughout the entire rpm range. Cant say enough about the Boyeson RAD valve setup! Highly recommend it! Thanks for the responses!